CCW lawyer... and my neighbor

This is a discussion on CCW lawyer... and my neighbor within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hi all, I've been thinking that I should look into retaining a laywer who is experienced with self-defense/CCW laws "just in case". If anyone happens ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CCW lawyer... and my neighbor

Hi all,

I've been thinking that I should look into retaining a laywer who is experienced with self-defense/CCW laws "just in case". If anyone happens to know of any good ones in the York Country, PA area, please let me know.

Also... my neighbor across the street is a PA State Trooper and police detective. He knows that I am into firearms, and even said we should go shooting sometime, but he does not know that I carry. I've heard that a good way to find a good self-defense lawyer is to try to find one who represents cops. Would you recommend I approach my neighbor and ask him? We're casual friends (our children play together, etc), but we're not real close. I'd be a bit worried about how he'd react or the questions he'd ask if I were to ask him for laywer info. Your thoughts?

Thanks!

Chris

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    Ask him who is used to represent the officers , and do it at the range . He asked you to shoot for a lot of reasons besides the fact he enjoys shooting . Go reassure him that the guy across the street may well be able to protect his kids if things go wrong , and just ask him who defends officers in shooting cases . He most likely will respect your mindset of wanting to be prepared for what may come ( especialy after he sees you are a safe and competent gun handler .)
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

I'd have no problem asking. I found this on the CCW Attorney List at the top of our web page.

Pennsylvania, Scranton- Dennis J. Mark, 570-207-2007
    "Beware of the man who only owns one gun. He probably knows how to use it."

Keep your CCW licsense to yourself. The fewer people who know, the better. Steve48

Not sure if I would trust a lawyer that took your money for this.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris17404 View Post
    Hi all,

I've been thinking that I should look into retaining a laywer who is experienced with self-defense/CCW laws "just in case". If anyone happens to know of any good ones in the York Country, PA area, please let me know.

Also... my neighbor across the street is a PA State Trooper and police detective. He knows that I am into firearms, and even said we should go shooting sometime, but he does not know that I carry. I've heard that a good way to find a good self-defense lawyer is to try to find one who represents cops. Would you recommend I approach my neighbor and ask him? We're casual friends (our children play together, etc), but we're not real close. I'd be a bit worried about how he'd react or the questions he'd ask if I were to ask him for laywer info. Your thoughts?

Thanks!

Chris
    Chris - I don't think it's a bad idea to talk to a lawyer (is that a double negative?) but I don't think you should give a lawyer money as a retainer. IANAL but I believe that it would be a breach of ethics to take money as a retainer, without knowing pretty concretely that you would be able to represent a new "client".

The main purpose for a retainer is to cover some of the upfront costs that lawyer would need to start working on your case. This is mainly to reassure the lawyer that they will get some reimbursement for their effort. You shouldn't need to pay a lawyer a retainer unless you were expecting some need pretty soon. Are you reasonably sure you will shoot someone in the next year or so?

Another problem with the retainer is when you need the lawyer, he may not be able to represent you due to a conflict of interest or similar issue.

Just something to think about before you give someone your money.

VIP Member
    Wow, I didn't know the new cool thing was to not let LEOs or lawyers know you carried.

Regardless, ask him. You don't even have to tell him you carry. He knows you have guns, and there is always that chance that you may have to shoot someone inside your home. And, by all means get out to the range with him and have fun. Most of us aren't lucky enough to end up with a potential shooting buddy across the street.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

VIP Member
    jhollow, it would not be any type of ethics violation for an attorney to accept money for a retainer. I have a couple of lawyers on retainer for different things, and I am hopeful that I never need either one of them.
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

Quote Originally Posted by Echo_Four View Post
    Wow, I didn't know the new cool thing was to not let LEOs or lawyers know you carried.

Regardless, ask him. You don't even have to tell him you carry. He knows you have guns, and there is always that chance that you may have to shoot someone inside your home. And, by all means get out to the range with him and have fun. Most of us aren't lucky enough to end up with a potential shooting buddy across the street.
    +1
    For MN specific carry information and a great shooting community, check out forum.twincitiescarry.com

Quote Originally Posted by Steve48 View Post
    Keep your CCW licsense to yourself. The fewer people who know, the better. Steve48
    Why not? Umm... I think were talking about disclosing to a Detective, State Trooper type.

Thanks for the feedback so far, guys. I appreciate it.

Regarding my use of the word "retain"... I probably didn't mean to use that word. I'd simply like to talk to some lawyers in my area that are gun-friendly and get the name and number of one that I could call upon in case the need arose (God forbid).

Chris

Anytime. I may not be a LEO but I'm in my Protect and Serve mode at the present.

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    I have a couple of lawyers on retainer for different things
    I am glad that there are folks here on the board that are more successfull than i . I have a couple of attnys who are firends , one of which you could call " on retainer " , and frankly that costs me too much , he basicly makes a custom rifle off me every year for no time , and little paperwork , i just cannot afford to have him work for others . ( its estate stuff folks lol not criminal ) Anyway i am glad to see some " high end " folks post on here ... oO( i should delete this , but ill let a mod do it since its all in good fun and tongue in cheek )
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

VIP Member
    I don't know how "high end" I am. But, there are a couple of things that are a part of my business that could lead to a court room pretty easily. Better to be prepared.
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

trooper is his job.

beyond that, he's just another guy. it'll come up. don't bring it up. he'll find out.

first and foremost, he's just a good neighbor. just less likely to have weird skeletons in the closet, like some neighbors. :shrug:

If he's LE then he probably knows your permit status anyway, all he'd have to do is run your tags or home address.

Get a lawyer, it won't do any harm to be armed in advance, that is what it is all about I thought. You may or may not have to give him a small carrot to be on 'first name - call me anytime' terms, but if you do have to lay out a retainer it will be worth it's weight in unicorn poop if he is any good and you ever need him.
    Get testimonals/references, Lawyers are deservedly perceived as greasy.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links