Interesting Trip to Quiznos

This is a discussion on Interesting Trip to Quiznos within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Three of my buddies and I hit up the Quiznos down the street on a regular basis. A friend who is 20 has no choice ...

Thread: Interesting Trip to Quiznos

Distinguished Member Array SixBravo's Avatar

Cool Interesting Trip to Quiznos

Three of my buddies and I hit up the Quiznos down the street on a regular basis. A friend who is 20 has no choice but to carry open. The rest of us are concealed. All four of us have recently been to Gunsite. Today, we all took our weekly trip. Walking in the door we see the following:

-A gentleman standing in line carrying a very nice looking Smith & Wesson 410 (I think thats what he said it was). It was stainless steel with something engraved on his wooden grips, that turned out to be his father's initials.

-Two on-duty Yavapai County Sherrifs Deputies.

-The place is otherwise empty except for three employees.

We all walk up to the counter and the gentleman in line turns to notice all of us. He see's my buddy open carrying and smiles at him. In a low voice, he asks him what he's carrying. My friend answers. The guy then turns to us and asks "Well he's carrying, why aren't you?" in a whisper and kind of in a joking voice. We all kinda laugh and another of my buddies tells him that he is. We get on the topic of guns, much to the astonishment of a new employee who looks like he might die at any moment.

The five of us sit down and start talking guns. Turns out the gentleman in line is also a Gunsite grad - three times over! Plus he's done one of Gabe Suarez's Urban classes. We talks rifles and move onto handguns and different classes for about ten minutes. At some point, the County boys start listening to us and they head over on their way out. They look at my open carry buddy and ask him if he's 21. He tell's em no, but that he bought the gun privately. The cop who asked just shrugged at his answer. Beyond that, they didn't care and asked what each of us were carrying and some other stuff about what kinds of holsters and ammo we used.

For a trip to Quizno's, it was a fairly productive day of talking shop. Thought you guys might be interested.

And for those that may be upset about someone asking us about firearms... up here open carry is fairly common and asking another about what they carrying isn't taboo... its just as common. Of course, as more Californians move out here, the more shocked looks you see.
    The Gunsite Blog
    ITFT / Quick Kill Review
    "It is enough to note, as we have observed, that the American people have considered the handgun to be the quintessential self-defense weapon." - Justice Scalia, SCOTUS - DC v Heller - 26 JUN 2008

2. Remove Ads

Sounds like a great place to live. I just don't know if I could live there. I sent a resume to a place in Phoenix a few years ago and they wanted me to come and work for them. But, I just couldn't get past the lack of trees and grass. Seemed a lot like living on Mars or something.

Open carry is not uncommon here in West Tennessee either. I do it all the time. This afternoon I ran errands and shopped at our local supermarket while open carrying the G23 in fact.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Senior Moderator
    I wanted to go to the Gunsite Female class, it looked interesting. That aside, sounds great about your "encounter"!

I had quite the conversation with the range masters at the range I was shooting at tonight and when one of the range masters saw my CCW permit as I was putting away my driver's license we got on that topic and he informed me he carried a glock and asked about my carry gun. I wasn't offended at all. It was good conversation.

P.S. Your friend can carry at 20? Wow! Here you have to be 21 to buy and/or carry.

I'm moving!

Distinguished Member Array Chooie's Avatar
    My wife and I have been seriously looking at AZ as our next home. I cannot stand the humidity here in VA any more, and the job market is absolutely horrid in the central part of the state. Prescott seems to be a bit higher altitude than Phoenix - is it typically cooler to any appreciable degree? My biggest problem is the humidity>80% that you find on a near daily basis from April to September here. It's absolutely stifling, and I would gladly deal with warmer temps if it meant I wasn't swimming through the air.

Senior Member Array Timmy Jimmy's Avatar
    Why did it matter if your 20 year old friend bought the weapon privately?
    Timmy Jimmy

If it is not in the US Constitution then the Federal Government should not be doing it.

"Carrying a gun is a social responsibility."

I just want to see the face on a dumb kid who walked in to rob the place and then saw all of you and walked back out...

Does that Quiznos offer an NRA members discount or something?

In Arizona, the minimum carry age is 18 for handguns or rifles. Federal law says that you can't buy a handgun from an FFL if you are under 21. He got his at a gun show in Phoenix middle of last year.

Jchoo - You're right. We sit up at 5400'. I used to live up in Fairfax. I moved out here for school. I can't go back to that area. The weather is one of many reasons. It's pretty darn dry most of the year. It'll snow during the winter, but never too bad. We get a monsoon season that usually runs from late July through the first week of September. It's fairly brown most of the year, but if you can appreciate a sunset.... You will be rewarded every night. Plus you can see views like these:

Took both of those shots in the same afternoon. In the 2nd picture, those are the San Francisco Peaks. Flagstaff sits at the base. Look on a map at how far Flagstaff is from Prescott. I took that pic 15 minutes from my house.

Sorry... didnt mean to turn this into a "Move to Arizona!" thread. hahaha
    The Gunsite Blog
    ITFT / Quick Kill Review
    "It is enough to note, as we have observed, that the American people have considered the handgun to be the quintessential self-defense weapon." - Justice Scalia, SCOTUS - DC v Heller - 26 JUN 2008

I can remember having to overnight in PHX once a couple of summers ago. I think it was 115 outside around noon. All I can remember is I stuck my head outside of the hotel and my hair burst into flames.....

Great Trip To Quiznos...

I wish the % of CCW'ers was that high in every store...crime would then become a very unsure business.

Glad you enjoyed the afternoon.
    I have spent time in Phoenix, Prescott, and Flagstaff...beautiful places for sure.

I want to attend Gunsite sometime in the next year or two...for more than one course.

Stay armed...stay safe!

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array Chooie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SixBravo View Post
    Took both of those shots in the same afternoon. In the 2nd picture, those are the San Francisco Peaks. Flagstaff sits at the base. Look on a map at how far Flagstaff is from Prescott. I took that pic 15 minutes from my house.

I've driven from Phoenix to the South Rim, and then on up to the Glen Canyon Dam and lake Powell. It was a hell of a weekend trip, and I got to see the climate changes as we went north. I've also floated down the Salt River, in August... for 6 hours. I was no worse for the wear (other than looking more Mexican than Chinese)... but my Irish ex-GF didn't fare so well. She looked like a Maine lobster after 20 minutes in the pot.

...And for those that may be upset about someone asking us about firearms... up here open carry is fairly common and asking another about what they carrying isn't taboo... its just as common. Of course, as more Californians move out here, the more shocked looks you see.
    Do everything you can (I am sure you do; just encouraging you) to get as many people as possible involved in CCW and OC - let the transplants know that it is something they inherited with the move, and that, "YES, EVERYONE HERE DOES DO IT".

If its like it is here, they are flocking in, and this place is getting more and more sissy-fied by the day. That's not meant as a slam to CA folks as a whole, only the ones who 'flee' the state, only to try to impose their anti-gun/liberal mindset on the places they move to. This used to be a conservative, common sense part of the country - I feel like the old Indian in the litter-prevention commercials...

In Arizona, the minimum carry age is 18 for handguns or rifles. Federal law says that you can't buy a handgun from an FFL if you are under 21. He got his at a gun show in Phoenix middle of last year.

Jchoo - You're right. We sit up at 5400'. I used to live up in Fairfax. I moved out here for school. I can't go back to that area. The weather is one of many reasons. It's pretty darn dry most of the year. It'll snow during the winter, but never too bad. We get a monsoon season that usually runs from late July through the first week of September. It's fairly brown most of the year, but if you can appreciate a sunset.... You will be rewarded every night. Plus you can see views like these:

My wife did some travel nursing in Az. ( Cottonwood, Sedona) a few years back. Been scheming on how to get back there since. Absolutely the most beautiful and diverse place (scenery and climate wise) I have ever seen.

Quote Originally Posted by Muzz View Post
    Do everything you can (I am sure you do; just encouraging you) to get as many people as possible involved in CCW and OC - let the transplants know that it is something they inherited with the move, and that, "YES, EVERYONE HERE DOES DO IT".

If its like it is here, they are flocking in, and this place is getting more and more sissy-fied by the day. That's not meant as a slam to CA folks as a whole, only the ones who 'flee' the state, only to try to impose their anti-gun/liberal mindset on the places they move to. This used to be a conservative, common sense part of the country - I feel like the old Indian in the litter-prevention commercials...
    I've got most of my friends owning some kind of weapon now. Solid half of my friends have their permits. 'Bout 8 months ago I convinced a staunch anti to buy a 16 guage for home defense. I'm busy as a bee sowing the 2nd amendment to their hearts. haha Most of my friends who have firearms now bought them because they wanted to have something fun to shoot when we all went out. Now.... LOL BTW, that anti with the shottie just graduated US Army Basic - she qualified expert with everything!!! I'm extremely proud of her! :)

Sorry... Don't mean to toot my horn. I'm just proud of my buddies for seeing the light.
    The Gunsite Blog
    ITFT / Quick Kill Review

Great story!

I love getting together at the Twincitiescarry.com monthy breakfast get together with 20 to 35 guys and gals all talking about guns. Very much the safest restaurant in the Twincities last month was Perkins in Shoreview!
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

Wow, those views are NOT something I would think about when thinking about AZ. I might have to add that to my list of places to visit.

Links