Traveling from PRNJ to lansing MI

This is a discussion on Traveling from PRNJ to lansing MI within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm going on a quick trip from NJ to Lansing mi to pick up a trailer. My questions, I have my fl card witch is ...

Thread: Traveling from PRNJ to lansing MI

Unhappy Traveling from PRNJ to lansing MI

I'm going on a quick trip from NJ to Lansing mi to pick up a trailer.
    My questions, I have my fl card witch is good in pa of course (familiar w/ pa laws) any info on Ohio and MI I should be aware of. I was reading packing.org and from what I gather mi does not accept a Florida non-res permit. But Florida does not issue res/non res permits. What is the solution to my dilemma? Do I need to disarm in MI or not. And If I do, what do they classify as storage in a vehicle? Driving a truck w/ back seat and no cap on the back so no trunk.
    Help please
    Also any gun/mag restrictions?
    carrying a usp compact 9mm 13plus1

2. Remove Ads

Cant say for sure if permit is good or not

but in a truck the gun must be in a case as far away from the driver behind the seat is ok .

I thought we used to honor out of state permits but i have not kept up on it

Also on the page on packing.org it was last updated in 2005

try michigan.gov for your answer you can also email the AG and usually get a response

In the late-90s I lived in MI, prior to concealed carry reform there.

At that time, MI honored FL permits issued to non-residents of FL. So, enterprising MI residents thought they saw a loophole, getting an FL permit as a non-resident and then carrying in their home state of MI using it...duh.

I'm sure the provision you're seeing is what was put on the books years ago to close that supposed loophole.

Oh, I'm not sure if I understand your statement that, "But Florida does not issue res/non res permits." I have a Florida permit that does not specifically bear the words "non-resident", but shows my MN address, and was certainly issued to a non-resident of FL. So, FL does issue what I'd call a "non-resident permit". I suppose a bit of Clinton legalese could spin this any way you want, but the spirit of the law would kick in under the nose of an judge.

My opinion: Go to a better source, specifically www.handgunlaw.us And, print out the pages on each state, noting the areas prohibited, laws on alcohol/bars, etc. There's more to it than simply whether or not they honor your permit, you must abide by their state's provisions.
    Last edited by JimmyC4; March 27th, 2007 at 11:04 PM.
    "It's a big gun when I carry it, it is also a big gun when I take it out” – Clint Smith

Florida Permit

Michigan will only honor the permit from the state you are a resident in. In other words, since you live in NJ it will not honor the Florida permit.

Quote Originally Posted by ecbaatz View Post
    Michigan will only honor the permit from the state you are a resident in. In other words, since you live in NJ it will not honor the Florida permit.

This is the truth. Best to be safe and disarm.

As far as transport, it need to be out of reach, in a container, and unloaded in chamber AND magazine. (Some county prosecutes have taken that to mean that even a loaded pistol mag on your person or with the gun).

but rather thatn take our advice, check out our State Police web site:

http://www.michigan.gov/msp/0,1607,7...654---,00.html

Safe Journey

Lloyd
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

How Is It Determined In MI?

The address on your CCW better be the same address as on your driver's license...

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Links