Texas Castle Doctrine/Stand Your Ground Law - Page 3

Texas Castle Doctrine/Stand Your Ground Law

This is a discussion on Texas Castle Doctrine/Stand Your Ground Law within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Jony911 Have there been any changes or updates in this law since the OP and the last post in this thread? Castle ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Texas Castle Doctrine/Stand Your Ground Law

Quote Originally Posted by Jony911 View Post
    Have there been any changes or updates in this law since the OP and the last post in this thread?
    Castle Doctrine was extended to boats and personal watercraft as of 1 Sep. Same criteria; concealed and carrier can't be committing a crime or part of a gang.
    "Life's tough......It's even tougher if you're stupid." -John Wayne

Remember to vote for Perry when he wins the GOP

Texas! I got here as fast as I could!
    An imperfect servant of my Lord and Saviour, Jesus Christ

Buying American made, keeping Americans working
    ....Whenever I still can

What non-shooter are YOU planning on taking to the range?

Thanks for the update!

Welcome to the Club,, ( AZ) Every state should have this law. Arizona Castle Doctrine explained - In plain English @ arizona-self-defense.BigOrb.com

Texas has some pretty decent SD laws that what would be legal here, in other states you wouldn't know where you stood until some Prosecutor decided whether or not to file charges
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Ours goes MUCH further... you have no duty to retreat and have the right to defend yourself as long as where you are , you are there legally. So, in essence, anywhere you might be ... unless you've broken into some place (burglary) and then you are not there legally.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Here is a link to the new laws. New Pro-gun Laws in Texas (2011) « 1 With A Bullet

I'm guessing the new parking lot law has far more impact on the population than the watercraft law. Since we couldn't get campus carry or open carry or anything really significant, this is still pretty good. Then again, I AM a CHL holder and I DON'T own a boat. So I can legally carry, 99.9999% of the time.

From my non-law degree having perspective, House Bill 25 looks to pretty much be the Motor Protectionist Act directed at watercraft.

Gratz to all the non-CHL holding boat owners who now can legally carry on their boats, in their cars, and in their homes and the businesses they own.
    Also, if you are a non-CHL holder who enjoys carrying on your boat, in your car, in your home, and business you own....you might as well man up and GET A TEXAS CHL.

------------------------------------------------------Summation of HOUSE BILL 25--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "House Bill 25 by state Representative Ryan Guillen (D-Rio Grande City) and state Senator Dan Patrick (R-Houston) will extend the right to carry a handgun to your boat or personal watercraft without needing a Concealed Handgun License – a right which law-abiding Texans currently enjoy in their private motor vehicles. For many, these vessels – especially on weekends in some parts of the state – are, for all practical purposes, an extension of one’s home. It will remain an offense under HB 25 if the handgun is not hidden from plain view, the person in possession is engaged in criminal activity or a member of a criminal street gang, or the person is not eligible to possess the firearm under state or federal law. Effective 9/1/11 "

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Eagleks View Post
    Ours goes MUCH further... you have no duty to retreat and have the right to defend yourself as long as where you are , you are there legally. So, in essence, anywhere you might be ... unless you've broken into some place (burglary) and then you are not there legally.
    Texas laws cover those same issues and protection from civil suits...
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Sponsored Links