Defensive Carry banner

Anybody here from the Albany, Ga. area?

4K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  BIGSAM 
#1 ·
Just moved here. I'm looking for an outside rifle/pistol range near by where I can practice once or twice a week. Any info would be appreciated. Thanx. Sam.

#3 ·
Thanx ayan, I'm looking to keep the drive an hour or less if possible. Outside of ammo prices it's usually the drive that keeps me from shooting as much as I can. I'll still check it out incase that is the best option. Thanx. Sam.

#4 ·
I don't know of anything in Albany or close by. Ask the local P.D. Thomasville is about an hour away. You can go to the P.D. and pay $50.00 per year and use the police range. You will have to yield your space if a large group show up to train. Other than that I know of nothing. Tallahassee has a gun club with a 300 yard range and the National forest south of Tallahassee has a free 100 yard rifle and pistol range. ( beware: there is no range officer at the national forrest range, so take a friend. I have seen some scary stupid people at that range. You will want someone to watch your back .)

#5 ·
Thanx joleary223. $50. doesn't sound too bad. Do you know how many positions there are at the police range?
I have located some DNR and WMA ranges but the closer the better so I need the locals info. Sam.

#7 ·
Sam, I don't know much about the range. I'm new to Thomasville and recently applied for the CC in Georgia , my Florida will expire soon, while I was getting my fingerprints taken the officer told me about the range. I would still call the Albany P.D. and see if they have any suggestions. Good luck.

#8 ·
I'm in Albany. The range options are pretty limited. Solo Archery on Philema Road has an indoor range but it is closed at least part of the year and used only for bows. You'd have to call them and find out when it is open.

The Southwest Georgia Sportsmans Club has a range that is usually open on Saturdays and some Sundays. I think they allow shooting any day of the week, but there must be a range officer present. You have to be a member or a guest of a member to shoot there, but membership isn't hard to get if you are likeable.

The APD range may be an option. I know they have open shooting one day per month, but there may be other circumstances when you are allowed to shoot there. I have never looked into it.

That's really about it, as far as established ranges go. At least the ones that I am aware of. It seems to me that most who shoot around here do it on private property, or go somewhere like the sand dunes, the area by the dam, the various boat landings, or near the river. Aside from 4 or 5 trips to the Sportsmans Club, I haven't shot on a real range in the 21 years I have lived here.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.