Laser sights...

Laser sights...

This is a discussion on Laser sights... within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hi... I'm an old phardt, with only one good eye, lost one in a tree trimming accident. I keep a S & W 686 handy, ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Laser sights...

Laser sights...

Hi...
    I'm an old phardt, with only one good eye, lost one in a tree trimming accident. I keep a S & W 686 handy, and wondered that since it's my right (aiming) eye that's gone, would I be advised to install a set of Crimson Trace grips on my weapon? Be appreciative of any insights...and guidance as to where I might get a set of LG-307 grips, new or used, for the 686.
    Thanks...
    Kromedome

Administrator
    Hmm, maybe we found a good use for lasers after all.

Normally I would say lasers are a waste of time and money, but in your case it might not be a bad idea.
    Last edited by SIXTO; March 28th, 2007 at 06:25 PM.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Distinguished Member Array ArmyCop's Avatar
    I have CT Laser grips on my Taurus .38 Snubby and am very happy with them. For my Duty gun I had been using a Ruger P94 with their grips and liked them for that also. Recently I sold the Ruger (grips too) and now have an M&P .40 caliber without a laser. I do plan on getting a laser for it as soon as I save up enough for it....
    For God, Family and Country!

Lasers can be an asset, and even more so in your case. Just don't let the laser replace practice and training. I have one on a Glock and a Sig, and no one could convince me to take them off, there are many situations I think they may be useful. Get One!!

Administrator

Yes, you should buy one

You would be EXACTLY the type of person (with a specific vision problem) that could benefit from a laser sighted firearm the most.

It will probably be the best firearm decision that you'll have made since you had your accident. There is a laser out there waiting for you with your name on it.

Absolutely Go For It.
    As long as you still have good trigger control - you'll be putting all of your shots right where that red dot is.

I have said this on the forum before.
    The laser will be your best friend because it puts the front sight right on your intended target. It would be THE perfect choice for you & for your self defense firearm.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

I don't recommend lasers to folks that are new guns. Those that do never learn how to use traditional sights and can develope other poor habits. In your case I think it would be a great asset to you. I bought on laser for my Beretta 92F (Italian made) 12 years ago, the name of the company was called ON DUTY, and it was the top of the line, the mount is good and solid and the laser is still as bright as anything on the market today. It was over $500 back then, but has lasted very well and has never lost zero. I look at some of these things that look like a roll of smarties hanging off the trigger guard and I want to laugh. For your revolver I think the CT laser grips would be your best option. Good luck.
    When Seconds Count, The Cops Are Just Minutes Away!!
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

Senior Member Array cockedlocked01's Avatar
    I don't have laser sights on any of my guns, although I've thought about putting one on my 442.

In your case; however, I would do it.

I would recommend that you also train with unsighted methods (At CQC distances), but Crimson Trace grips would definitely be an aid for you.

Someone else can hopefully aim you in the right direction as to where the best prices are & such. In fact, I'm interested too.

Good luck.
    "Use human means as though divine ones didn't exist, and divine means as though there were no human ones." Baltasar Gracian
    Integrated Close Combat
    NRA Member
    Glock 19 & 26, Kahr CM9 & P45, Para P12, Kel-Tec P-32, S&W 442, & Dan Wesson 14-2.

i used to look on lasers with disdain. but i was never happy with how well i shot the snubby, especially with weak hand and from the draw. more than one person i shoot with would call me close minded or prejudiced against them, as i would refuse to even try one- i mean, why? i didnt argue that i wouldnt be able to shoot better, there was no real argument against them other than the POSSIBILITY that you grow too dependent, and a malfunction or bad battery at the time of need causes hesitation or less proficient ability.

after christmas, i finally shot one, 642, just like my 638 'cept the hammer, with a CT on it. put 100 rounds from different stances, draws, etc.

my 638 now wears them. heck, theres a switch on the bottom. i shoot ~75% without the laser on at the range, but theres no question in my mind ANYONE is a better shooter, especially with really light, high recoil snubbies, WITH the laser.

While I don't have laser on my carry gun, I do have one on the
    house gun. I like quality lasers for a 2 reasons.

1. No need to focus on the front sight. You focus on the threat, which is probably a good plan.

2. With it, I can bullet after bullet through the same hole without too much effort.

Go for it. You're the perfect candidate for a set of CT's.

Some don't like them, but I have a set and love them. I figure it's a saftey feature if I ever have to use my gun in a poorly lit area, or can't use the steel sites for some reason, like at night in a dark room or alley and all you can see is a silhouette. I can also 'dot' someone across the room with the gun still under the table. Another plus is it makes a nice deterent if I ever pull and DON'T fire.

I find I acquire a target quicker, and can put round after round into the target reliably with the laser on. I can empty an 11 round clip in under 5 seconds and put them all in a palm sized spread with almost no effort. I'm almost as good without, and a little slower, but I figure with my life on the line, any edge is one I want in my direction.

Just make sure to practice with/without the laser on. Murphy will bite you the day that laser 'has to' work.
    Last edited by My73LT; March 28th, 2007 at 05:51 PM. Reason: added another reason.

They Were A Confidence Builder...

for my wife! She has them on her SW637...she is right-handed and left eye dominant...

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I am grateful that so many of the members have taken the time to share their thoughts and experiences. I have read and re-read all your replies and shall ponder them deeply...there is much wisdom there.
    My sincere thanks...
    Kromedome

TO: kd5nrh

Uh, actually it was a small 3" diameter tree that I had trimmed with a chainsaw at about the 5' level...it was still upright, roots intact. Friend on a riding mower tried to drive over it and bulldoze it...zoomed right by me. I stood up, the tree snapped back and got me...not to the left, not to the right , not above, and not below...but right IN the eye. Smashed the bloody hell out of it.
    Now I have some really fine 'scoped rifles that are essentially useless...they are all for right-handed shooters.
    I'm still seeing eye docs but all I hear is "So, what kind of insurance do you have...?"
    When I can get the Wicked Witch of the West to look the other way, I'll try to snag some of my next meager SS
    check and go looking for a pair of Crimson Trace grips.
    I now have a pair of Pachmayr "Decelerator" grips on my 686...do the CT grips soften recoil as well as the Pachmayrs, anybody know?
    Thanks again for the kind assistance...great forum with generous and helpful members.
    Krome

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    I did not read the posts before me , and lasers are not my choice personally . All i can say is try a set of them , for me they interfere with my grip be it revolver or auto , and i would rather have the grip than the dot . Ill about guarantee you tho if you will call S&W and explain you issue to them they will arrange for a local rep to give you a test ride on everything they have with laser grips , personally i shot their j frame and their 1911s so tricked out . Not for me , but some may get some good out of them .

Edited to add : the local smith rep i have assures me smith is on a push to reclaim some of the market , and customer service is a big part of that . You may well not buy a smith with grips , or even grips for a smith , but you will never forget that smith helped you answer a question . This is my reps attitude out here in CO and he says it a company attitude , so try it lol .
    Last edited by QKShooter; March 29th, 2007 at 05:43 PM.
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Administrator

Post Can Anyone Answer This Question For The Member?

"I now have a pair of Pachmayr "Decelerator" grips on my 686...do the CT grips soften recoil as well as the Pachmayrs, anybody know?"

Please keep the thread on topic to answers to questions that kromedome has concerning laser sighting systems.
    Thank You.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links