Securing Gun in Car

Securing Gun in Car

This is a discussion on Securing Gun in Car within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Need some newbie to concealed carry advice. How do you go about securing your weapon (err, "defensive tool") in your car when you go to ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Securing Gun in Car

Need some newbie to concealed carry advice. How do you go about securing your weapon (err, "defensive tool") in your car when you go to an "off limit" place?

Safe? Glovebox? Leave it at home?

I was pondering getting a steel cable and threading it through a hole in my center console box, and securing one end to the seat rails and the other end could go through the open magwell and slide opening, and get a padlock. This doesn't help if the car is stolen though(I do work in Detroit), but I guess nothing would, in that case.

Oh yeah, trying to do this cheap, done spent all my money on my XD, CPL class, Application, and range time and ammo.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

Senior Moderator
    We have little safes that are secured to the frame of the seat with a cable. When you lock the case, the cable is also locked inside of the case and therefore cannot be tampered with (it's a really neat little system). I always unload the gun and take the magazine with me (if there's no metal detector) or I'll lock the bullets and mags somewhere separate so that JUST IN CASE someone manages to steal my gun they won't get a loaded one. It goes under my seat, out of site, and that's that.

Administrator
    I know a few guys who picked up a cash register box thing from Target for 10 or 15 dollars. You know those small lock boxes people use at garage sales or gun shows... Then they eithier run a cable through it, or bolt it down under the seat. That would depend on you and the vehicle. This can be done for about $20.
    "Just blame Sixto"

The Firing Line in Westland has little lock boxes (I wouldn't call them "safes") that are pretty cheap. They're plenty flat enough to fit under the seat, the box itself locks and they come with a cable to secure the box to your vehicle. If I remember correctly they're about $30 or so.

If I wasn't pistol free zone exempt I'd give serious thought to picking one up.
    The keys to winning a gunfight are first to bring a gun and secondly to take your time, quickly.

Always remember that if your opponent is within range, so are you.

POWER TO THE MEPEOPLE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by limatunes View Post
    I always unload the gun and take the magazine with me (if there's no metal detector) or I'll lock the bullets and mags somewhere separate so that JUST IN CASE someone manages to steal my gun they won't get a loaded one.
    This sound like a splendid idea
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

Car-Safe

This outa git 'er done.

http://www.center-of-mass.com/index.htm
    "Beware of the man who only owns one gun. He probably knows how to use it."

I have the Center of Mass safe that attaches to the seat frame with a cable. Seems to work pretty good and should protect you against the smash and grab type thieves. If you have a standard size pistol get the larger size. The smaller one probably works fine for compact and sub compacts. My xd .45 tac barely fits in the large model.
    "Some people go to bed with Lucifer..........then cry, cry, cry when they don't greet the day with God."

Senior Moderator
    Yep, the center of mass safes are what I have too, I just couldn't remember the name!

Yeah, Center of Mass containers are the ones I was referring to. Swing by The Firing Line the next time you're working in Detroit (Ford Rd. & I-275 area). They had a bunch of them when I was in there last week.
    The keys to winning a gunfight are first to bring a gun and secondly to take your time, quickly.

Always remember that if your opponent is within range, so are you.

POWER TO THE MEPEOPLE!!!

How about this http://www.sshmi.com/ ?

Frank
    still waiting for the paper...

Living in MA, I'm required to keep the unloaded handgun and ammunition in separate, locked containers. The trunk counts as a locked container, but gloveboxes/console/center storage do not. I bought a couple of simple, cheap Brinks lockable containers and lined them with foam. I store the handgun in one and the ammo in another, lock both cases and lock them in the trunk. Satisfies all requirements of the law and then some.

As for travel, I use the same system, but I wedge them in between items in the trunk to prevent the cases from sliding around. I haven't taken the time to work out a mounting method, although I should to prevent thieves who break in from being to just walk away with my locked cases. One of those center of mass safes looks like it could be a good solution for at least the handgun.

I use a Center of Mass safe. When I need to lock ammo in a seperate container, I use the case my USP came in and wrap the cable lock around the handle.

VIP Member
    Center of Mass safes work well. I have two, one in each vehicle. The site above also has great service. I order mine on line about 7:30 on a Monday night and they arrived on Thursday.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

Another C of M Safe Owner Here...

Works very well. Easy to conceal...under folding seat...inside tail light section (interior) of some vehicles...

Basically, just a good way to hide a weapon for a brief period of time...never for the entire night!

Stay armed...stay safe!

ret
    Last edited by RETSUPT99; March 29th, 2007 at 09:42 PM.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Cubsmurf, a member of combatcarry and my co-worker, has one of these center of mass safes. He likes it a lot.

I may have to invest in one of their 2 safe deals myself.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links