Am I the only one?

This is a discussion on Am I the only one? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Ive been carrying for two weeks now and am getting comfortable going everywhere...the store, b-day parties (kids), church, etc. I am a father of 3 ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Am I the only one?

Am I the only one?

Ive been carrying for two weeks now and am getting comfortable going everywhere...the store, b-day parties (kids), church, etc. I am a father of 3 (5,3 &1) and have 2 mini-vans, yes 2! I have realized that there is one time in particular when I am vunerable. At times I have all 3 kids by myself and when I am loading them into the car I have to lean into the back seat to secure carseat straps, leaving me off balance, blind from behind, and with my weapon hanging just outside the door! Any suggestions from gun-toten dad's?

2. Remove Ads

Administrator
    This was brought up a while ago, but I dont remember how good the thread turned out.

With the exception of your littlest, all can climb into their seats on their own. I have a youngin' too, so I just put him in the backseat, he climbs up into his seat, then I get into the drivers seat and buckle from there. That might be a little tough to do with a van though. Maybe you can get them all in, then climb in with them and buckle from the inside? Do your vans have the captain chair set up or are they all benchs in the back?
    "Just blame Sixto"

I climb in the van with 'em. I took the middle row of seating out so there's a large area between the back seats and the front (driver) seats. I do this for work, but it's handy when I have to tote the kids...I can just chuck the kids, stroller(s) and everything in, climb in and close the door. If you have capt. chairs for middle row seating, you can take the one closest to the door out and still acomplish the same thing while still being able to fit all 3 kids in. If you have a bench...then I guess whoever draws the short straw gets to ride on the floor.
    The keys to winning a gunfight are first to bring a gun and secondly to take your time, quickly.

Always remember that if your opponent is within range, so are you.

POWER TO THE MEPEOPLE!!!

Pax of Corneredcat.com had a great article up on this topic.

http://www.corneredcat.com/Practical/parking.aspx
    For MN specific carry information and a great shooting community, check out forum.twincitiescarry.com

IWB. Concealed is concealed even when you are bending over. A gun not seen is a gun not taken.
    Our own heart, and not other men's opinion, forms our true honor. ~ Samuel Coleridge

I think that if you can get in the van and shut the door and lock it while buckling them in might help, otherwise take a good survey of the surrounding area before doing the task at hand.
    I finally have the truck of my dreams, a 1 ton 4x4 F350 Powerstroke dually crew cab longbed fully loaded, I park way out in Egypt to avoid door dings, I have also found that it is much easier to scan the surrounding area vs in a crowded car lot where there are cars on each side of you. I hope some of this helps.
    When Seconds Count, The Cops Are Just Minutes Away!!
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

No suggestions, I just wanted to say your post is one of the most refreshing I've seen in awhile. I must've missed the other post about this topic

Got me to thinkin'. I have a 4 year old grandaughter and my butt is also hanging in the wind while strappin her in. I wonder if I would be more secure buckling her in on other side of the backseat.
    "Beware of the man who only owns one gun. He probably knows how to use it."

have the 5 yo start bucklin his siblings in while you wait in a more prepared position outside?

I have two kids in car seats myself, but no van. I have a Pacifica. Fortunately, I am a leftie and I usually drive so I put my son in on the driverside. This puts the gun in the car, but not out of my access. Usually, I will get my son in the seat, but wait until my wife gets our daughter in and then herself before I finish buckling up the boy then get into the car myself.

Without knowing the seating set up, all I can consider is the same that has already been said, get everyone and yourself in and lock up. Get everyone in their respective seats, then seat yourself.
    "A simple way to take measure of a country is to look at how many want in ... And how many want out." British Prime Minister Tony Blair

I have a 4 yr old and a 11 month old. I alwasy try to park quite a few spaces away from the crowd so that I can visually check and identify anything around me while I put the kiddoes in the car. I also carry at 1:30-2:00 position too so my handgun would be VERY difficult for someone to take from me since it is right in front of me and not off to the side at 3:00 or more. I'll do a quick visual as I walk up to my truck, 2003 F-150 Supercrew 4x4, and make sure there's no one there already, then I'll double check the bed and the interior to make sure. No one can really hide UNDER the truck! lol

I get them in quick and then do another visual sweep of the surroundings to make sure no one is moving in or looks "out of place". If I'm satisfied, then I'll buckle them in. I've also taught my older son to look over my shoulder as I am getting them in the car and to tell me immediately if he sees someone coming towards us while daddy is putting him in his seat. You dont have eyes in the bcak of your head so you might as well use the eyes that are already pointing that way!

That's my basic rundown as a CCW dad!!
    Firefighter/EMT
    "You've never lived until you've almost died. For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected will never know" - T.R.

<----My LT was unhappy that I did not have my PASS-Tag at that fire. But I found the body so he said he would overlook it. :)

Only one young one here, but when in my van since the seat is on the drivers side and the entrance is on the passenger side I am all the way in the van when hooking him up. In the truck I am sitting next to him and inside the vehicle when hooking him up. In the Jeep when the top is on, I am in the back seat with only one leg hanging out of the vehicle when hooking him up.

Even though at no time when I am actually hooking the little one up is my weapon very vulnerable to being taken, especially since I carry IWB and tucked, I am not 100% sure that I am not vulnerable to some extent.

When we are out with our families, and have children with us we are more vulnerable than when we are alone, that is just the way it is. More things on your mind, more distractions, there is nothing you can do about it. All you can really do is to check your surroundings, make sure there isn't an immediate threat and make sure the times when your in a vulnerable possition are limited, and for short periods of time.

Other than making a fortess out of ones home and staying there, you can't eliminate the risks associated with daily life, you can just do your best to minimize them.

There is only about a 2% chance in any given year lately that you will be a victim of a violent crime, and you have already taken a great step to help yourself out by getting your license and carrying. So it looks to me like your taking steps that you feel will lower the odds or at least put some things in your favor is your number comes up.

This may not help, but hey, there are lots of others in the same boat as you are.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by NCHornet View Post
    take a good survey of the surrounding area before doing the task at hand.
    Just remember to re-survey every now and then - I backed into my landlord last week by not re-checking the 200yards of driveway after I took a phone call between getting in the car and backing up. $3800 worth of damage to our car, and I haven't heard what the total is on his truck.

I park way out in Egypt to avoid door dings,
    I used to do that because it made the car easier to find; in 14 years I've had one door ding that wouldn't buff out, two windows smashed and one dashboard torn up by thieves who took advantage of the vehicle being out in the middle of nowhere. We've tried to tell several folks at work that the security cameras don't cover the back edge of the lot, but we still get at least one hit & run or break-in back there every few months - just because somebody didn't want their precious compensator to get "cheap car cooties."

Thanks for the link plblark, excellent site!
    "The best compliment to the Warrior is that others feel safe while you are around." I would add especially if they REALLY ARE safe when you are around.

Perhaps a nice big doggie to watch your 6?

I am lucky that my kids are grown now but there are times in life that all of use might be a bit "off balance". Situational awareness. Just pay attention to your surroundings and you will be better off.
    Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not."

~ Thomas Jefferson

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links