CO: SB 34 passed the house today

This is a discussion on CO: SB 34 passed the house today within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; According to Rep. Lian McFayden in an e-mail I just received, SB 34 passed the house today on a very close vote. I believe it ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CO: SB 34 passed the house today

CO: SB 34 passed the house today

According to Rep. Lian McFayden in an e-mail I just received, SB 34 passed the house today on a very close vote.

I believe it is now off to Gov. Ritter for signature which is a definite. This was a very near party line push. He's not going to buck his own party even if he doesn't like the bill. He already ticked everyone off when he vetoed a labor bill recently. I think his veto stamp will stay in the drawer for a while now.

Once signed, Colorado will stop recognizing non-resident permits.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array AKsrule's Avatar
    Hmmmmmm.

I bet the out of Staters who own Ski Chalet homes in CO.
    will somehow qualify for "Resident" permits.
    -------
    -SIG , it's What's for Dinner-

know your rights!
    http://www.handgunlaw.us

"If I walk in the woods, I feel much more comfortable carrying a gun. What if you meet a bear in the woods that's going to attack you? You shoot it."
    {Bernhard Goetz}

Actually, you are correct. If you own a 2nd home in CO, you can get a resident permit.
    "The best compliment to the Warrior is that others feel safe while you are around." I would add especially if they REALLY ARE safe when you are around.

That really sucks!!!!!!!!!!!
    Unbelievable. I sent email in asking not to support the bill. I know alot of folks did.
    "The best compliment to the Warrior is that others feel safe while you are around." I would add especially if they REALLY ARE safe when you are around.

Senior Member Array blueyedevil's Avatar
    I'm really dissapointed, I think the NRA and GOA really failed us on not mobilizing an opposition to this crap. I did my part at least. What a load!

Even though it's probably futile, I'm gonna tell Gov. Ritter to Veto it, hopefully some of you will join me.
    Last edited by blueyedevil; March 28th, 2007 at 07:25 PM.

News story here.

In spite of the description, make no mistake - this will affect more than just Colorado residents. If your DL and you CCW permit aren't from the same state, you won't be legal here.

One more chip away at what used to be the rock of our constitutional rights.

Quote Originally Posted by duracles View Post
    If you own a 2nd home in CO, you can get a resident permit.
    Will that still be the case? I don't know, I'm just noodling it through...

According to this bill, your permit must be issued by your state of residence. The exception is for those just moving to CO - they can carry on their old permit if they have a CO driver's license that is less than 90 days old. So a person with an out-of-state driver's license and a Colorado permit wouldn't appear to be legal in CO.

Does this mean that CO will no longer honor reciprocity agreements with other states? For example my NM resident permit would not be recognized?

C

Quote Originally Posted by cgraham View Post
    Does this mean that CO will no longer honor reciprocity agreements with other states? For example my NM resident permit would not be recognized?

C
    Reciprocity doesn't change. But you have to have a permit from your state of residence.

So if you live in NM and have a NM permit, you're fine. But if you live in NM and only have a Utah permit, you're screwed.

More BS legislation from the Dems, but they do have the ammo to press on this one. There are several instances where people were denied CO permits and then got ones from FL or UT and then flaunted it by calling CBI to gloat or carrying at Red Rocks Community College and showing the gun in class, so the Dems were justified in carrying this legislation.

Personal opinion: I don't like it but you should get a permit from your home state to carry there. Then if you want more permits go get them. Florida, ironically,has the exact same law on the books and it hasn't hurt them with reciprocity.
    "Don't get stuck on stupid!" -Gen. Honore in NOLA

"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life."- Robert A. Heinlein

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    I am so freakin mad about this i cannot see straight , My only solace is that some good representatives fought the good fight dilligantly . They just could not overcome the " front range whores " who pander to a non existent mandate . Colorado voters mark this day in your memory and respond accordingly .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Disappointing news

This is coming at a bad time, just after three Kansas State students were shot in Denver......

Rxflyer,

Those shooters in Denver had ski masks so they must have had New York City non resident permits.

Semper Fi

Quote Originally Posted by rwmorrisonjr View Post
    More BS legislation from the Dems, but they do have the ammo to press on this one. There are several instances where people were denied CO permits and then got ones from FL or UT and then flaunted it by calling CBI to gloat or carrying at Red Rocks Community College and showing the gun in class, so the Dems were justified in carrying this legislation.

Personal opinion: I don't like it but you should get a permit from your home state to carry there. Then if you want more permits go get them. Florida, ironically,has the exact same law on the books and it hasn't hurt them with reciprocity.
    So the dems are justified in eroding a RIGHT because a few people screwed up?

IMO nobody should be required to have a permit period. It should all be Vermont Alaska style. That's what I would call a right rather than a privilege.
    Hoplophile

Senior Member Array tanksoldier's Avatar
    I actually can't argue with the logic of this one. I'd rather not have the permit system at all. Having said that, if you're going to have permits it makes sense to require that a permit holder be issued the permit by his state or residence. I would put in an exception for those states that don't issue permits like Vermont or New Jersey, but if your state of residence issues permits you should get one there.

Quote Originally Posted by Hobbes View Post
    IMO nobody should be required to have a permit period. It should all be Vermont Alaska style. That's what I would call a right rather than a privilege.
    The Supreme Court has long held that while rights cannot be denied, they can be regulated. You don't have an absolute right to free speech (no shouting FIRE in a crowded theater), to peaceably assemble (demonstrations and parades require permits) or to freedom of religion (virgin sacrifices are right out). That is in fact the basis of the recent court decision re: the DC weapons ban. Weapons owndership can be regulated, it cannot be denied outright.
    Last edited by tanksoldier; March 29th, 2007 at 07:56 PM.
    "I am a Soldier. I fight where I am told, and I win where I fight." GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links