The Wife Sees the Light....Evolution is Real and Good

This is a discussion on The Wife Sees the Light....Evolution is Real and Good within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I got my license 4 years ago. The wife hunted, so she was OK with me getting the permit and she was generally OK with ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Wife Sees the Light....Evolution is Real and Good

Distinguished Member Array randytulsa2's Avatar

I got my license 4 years ago. The wife hunted, so she was OK with me getting the permit and she was generally OK with guns. She did not like handguns, but was tolerant of them.

I started carrying (after getting the license) and I did such a good job concealing that she didn't know. Eventually she found out, but didn't throw a fit. She was a little curious about how long I'd done it, where all I'd done it, how no one had ever found out, etc.

There were still times and places that she disapproved of me carrying, but she didn't make a big deal about it. I guess the fact that I never had a NG and blew off my foot (or someone else's) due to carelessness helped.

Over time, by degrees, she came to accept that if I am wearing pants, and I am not going somewhere where it's a felony to have a gun, I'm carrying.

In recent months, there have even been times when and places where she has felt a little uncomfortable and asked if I was carrying, and exhibited reassurance when I said I was.

A few weeks ago yet another set of "Deliverance"-resembling tenants moved out of one of our rental houses. There were times when she would go work on the house alone. When that happened I would give her one of my guns and tell her to keep it with her. She did.

Yesterday she told me she want to take the CCW class "Because it makes sense if I am going to have one of your 'little friends' with me...".

If arrangements can be made, she'll take the class tonight. If not tonight, Saturday.

So stick with it, folks. Your loved ones will come around. Sometimes they will come ALL THE WAY around.
    "...bad decisions that turn out well often make heroes."

Gary D. Mitchell, A Sniper's Journey: The Truth About the Man and the Rifle, P. 103, NAL Caliber books, 2006, 1st Ed.

Sponsor
    Amen brother!
    My wife was also surprised to find out that I, for the most part, carry at all times. She is now more comforted by the idea than worried. She occasionally goes to the range with me and plinks with my P22 or puts a couple rounds through the P32, but she has yet to show any interest a class or getting her CCW permit.
    I'll keep working on her though.
    T*A*N*S*T*A*A*F*L
    The best things in life are not free.
    They are paid for with the blood of brave men and women!
    M&P Forum
    Ohioans For Concealed Carry
    Holsters

me
    Congrates.

My mom has always (in my mind but atleast 8 yrs [I only know that due to renewal]) had her permit but has not carried for the most part... She recently (when dad started to) expressed her decision to want to carry more (almost always). She is just looking for a better (easier) gun to carry. She is thinking about my Kel-tec
    Mark

"The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."

-James Earl Jones

Congrats to both of you!
    "If you so much as bunny hop I'll cut your heart out!" Billy Bob Thornton in The Last Real Cowboys

"I carry a gun for the same reason that I carry health insurance and a cell phone - be prepared."

Senior Moderator
    Congrats,

My wife has now grown use to me carrying whenever it is legal too. She can't carry until she becomes a citizen so we still have time for her to think about the responsibility. But there has been a couple of times when she was glad that I was carrying.
    A real man loves his wife, and places his family as the most important thing in life. Nothing has brought me more peace and content in life than simply being a good husband and father.

I Know How You Feel...

It has taken 'decades' to bring my wife around...

Congrats...It'll only get better!

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Over time, by degrees, she came to accept that if I am wearing pants, and I am not going somewhere where it's a felony to have a gun, I'm carrying.
    That is pretty much where my wife is at now.
    I would like her to carry but I have yet came up with a convincing enough argument.

My wife is in favor of me carrying but dose not want to carry herself. I guess that 50 pound purse is all she can handle.

That's great! Congrats to both of you.

I often have to remind myself after reading a post like this that not everyone has a wife who is as into guns, security and carrying as much as they are. I am one lucky guy and I know it.

Now you two can be each others back up.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Excellent news, Randy. Glad to know the evolutionary process had a positive outcome!
    Cheers,
    Rod
    "We're paratroopers. We're supposed to be surrounded!" Dick Winters

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    My girlfriend has an aversion to handguns. Has no problem with hunting rifles (emphasis on hunting, because she's a bit freaked by the fact that I own an AR-15) since her brother has them and hunts.

When she first learned that I have a carry license, she accepted it but I downplayed how often I carry. When she found out that I carry regularly, she got mad and made out like I had "lied" to her. (It's a big historical issue between us, actually, because she keeps it alive.)

For a long time after that, she acted mildly upset when she knew I was with-gun. Now lately she has been acting pretty okay with it.

Often I carry in a shoulder satchel, but more and more on-my-person. When she doesn't see the bag, she sometimes pats me on the spot where I usually carry, to see if it's there. I wonder if she may actually be reassuring herself that I have it when we go out . . .

Not sure she's the type who will ever arm herself unless she suffers (and survives) an attack, though. But I have gone about as far as I can go with setting the example. Some people have to learn the hard way.

Senior Member Array Timmy Jimmy's Avatar
    congrates Randy and I will not give up hope for wife to come around!
    Last edited by Timmy Jimmy; April 1st, 2007 at 02:21 AM.
    Timmy Jimmy

If it is not in the US Constitution then the Federal Government should not be doing it.

"Carrying a gun is a social responsibility."

Still waiting for my wife to come around...a long, slow process. I keep emphasing the daily events in the news...it has softened her up a bit...but a long way to go!

Keep the faith guys.

Senior Member Array Timmy Jimmy's Avatar
    My wife told me today that she will go to CHL class in July, so if she follows through there is light here also.
    Timmy Jimmy

If it is not in the US Constitution then the Federal Government should not be doing it.

"Carrying a gun is a social responsibility."

A similar incident occured in my household this weekend. I had to be out of town on business overnight. My phone rang in the middle of a meeting and my wife's uncharacteristically frightened voice explained that our dogs were acting as if something/someone was outside. We live in a community where crime is almost non-existant and where, frankly, I'm more concerned about the threat of four legged preditors to my bird dogs than two legged miscreants. Still, nowhere is immune to trouble.

My wife then asks, "Where is a gun?" While I've walked her through the basics of shooting and safe gun handling, and she's fired a few cylinders at paper, she's never indicated enough interest to pursue it. Still, I've purchased a couple of appropriately designed revolvers expressly in case her interest would warm. After I talked her through how to get into the safe, she confessed, "I never thought I'd say this, but don't leave me alone again without a gun."

While I told her that if she genuinely has cause for concern for her safety, she should call 911, I recognize that, practically speaking, it's not helpful to call the authorities every time there is a bump in the night. I think my wife may have crossed a threshhold that will enable further exposure to our world. (And I have a sweet 3"/adjustable sighted Model 60 .38 spl. I've been holding for over five years for just such an occasion).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links