Some people just dont get it

This is a discussion on Some people just dont get it within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Now the rite to bear arms i have no quarms about providing the rite is justifiable i.e a farmer in need to defend his cattle ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Some people just dont get it

Some people just dont get it

Now the rite to bear arms i have no quarms about providing the rite is justifiable i.e a farmer in need to defend his cattle from wild animals or if America's boarders where under threat. But in order to just carry a gun around day to day man thats got to be such a deplorable feeling knowning that if you have a bad day and somebody gets to you that you could end his life because you felt that way. I certainly would not want that feeling itching away inside.
    This was posted on another forum I'm a member at . He happens to be a British citizen so I can almost see why he thinks that way . But I hear more of this type of talk here in the US and it is a little disconcerting . The fact that this guy thinks because we carry we will shoot someone because we were "having a bad day" get's me . I told him to reference the times that someone legally carrying has shot someone for "having a bad day" and haven't heard anything yet.

2. Remove Ads

Wait, it's ok to defend my cow from a wolf, but not my wife from a thug?
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

Ask him, when was the last time he ran over a pedestrian with his car because he was "having a bad day"?

People use this argument, thinking that nobody can be trusted with a tool that happens to excel at killing. Like I said, I don't see people going Carmageddon on pedestrians downtown.
    Discretion is the better part of valour; and a virtue beyond reproach.
    Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Quote Originally Posted by General Geoff View Post
    Ask him, when was the last time he ran over a pedestrian with his car because he was "having a bad day"?

People use this argument, thinking that nobody can be trusted with a tool that happens to excel at killing. Like I said, I don't see people going Carmageddon on pedestrians downtown.
    Lol , well , it HAS happened before . So I guess people need to start walking when they think their day just isn't going that well

Btw , good point and if he replies I'll ask him about that .

man, it's got to be a bad feeling knowing that if someone else has a bad day ,they can use a knife, a bat, a crowbar, a tire iron, to end your life... just because they feel like it.. and you can't defend against it.

I could be totally unarmed.. have a bad day, and decide to swerve my vehicle and slam into a car or a pedestrian.. just because I feel like it. I could be at the mall, be having a bad day... see someone standing on the 2nd floor up against the railing, overlooking the 1st floor.. come up behind them and push them over to their death.

Fact is, ANYONE can do ANYTHING they want.. you can't stop that. But you can't go around assuming that everyone who can, WILL do all of these things.

I've had many bad days before I even had a concealed weapons permit. I still owned guns at the time though.. could have easily grabbed a weapon and went out and used it on someone. What kept me from doing that? hmm.. maybe the fear of prison? apparently people out there think that all people who own or carry guns, are just waiting for that 1 moment to be able to use their gun.. just itching to fire a shot. They must believe that not a single one of us has a fear of going to prison. They think that the justice system controls nobody.. we're all criminals waiting to happen.. well... I don't know about you, but there are millions of people in this country who don't comit crimes, don't harm others.. we don't get stories done about us though.. so everyone thinks this country is full of a bunch of crazy gun nuts just waiting to kill people.

VIP Member
    What should I do about the armed thug who is "having a bad day"?...
    "I surrounded 'em"- Alvin York

"They're ain't many troubles that a man can't fix with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six"- Jeff Cooper

The Brits have had some gruelish killings, resulting in a citizen outcry and kneejerk demand for control on firearms (IMO.) Kinda sad he feels like he does.

Sounds like he feels threatened and wants justifiable legislated. I'm pretty sure we're not gonna agree on the "bad day" definition either.
    "Beware of the man who only owns one gun. He probably knows how to use it."

Distinguished Member Array 4my sons's Avatar
    I posted this article once before, Maybe put up this link for your friend and let he, and anyone else that might think that way, but didn't want to speak up. It's a relly interesting article about the way people think about guns, and what motivates a lot of people to feel that way.

Carmageddon
    I like that one.

Raging against self defense
    "fundamental principle of American law that a government and its agents are under no general duty to provide public services, such as police protection, to any individual citizen." [Warren v. District of Columbia,(D.C. Ct. of Ap., 1981)]
    If I have to explain it, you wouldn't understand

Have seen that before , thanks for the link and reminder.

Think she is on the money concerning a lot of British citizens.
    "Beware of the man who only owns one gun. He probably knows how to use it."

Every time someone proposes reducing restrictions on gun ownership, or allowing people to carry guns where they weren't allowed before, or allowing people who weren't allowed before, you can absolutely bank on a chorus of people saying that it is going to turn the community into "Dodge City on a Saturday night," and result in "blood in the streets." This comment from the Brit is just a variation on that.

And yet it never happens. Anywhere. Ever. Not in America. Not anywhere else. Not in big cities. Not in little towns. Nowhere. Not once. Ever.

Someone needs to explain to her that America is a land of freedom and personal accountability....HERE everyone is granted the right to (or at least SHOULD be granted the right to) own whatever tools they choose UNTIL they have proven themselves to be unable to use such tools in a manner that does not negatively influence the lives of others.

- Ryan
    "Life exists at a level of complexity almost beyond our ability to comprehend. It's a well known fact that if you try to take apart a cat to see how it works one of the first things you have on your hands is a non-working cat" - Douglas Adams

"All things are governed by law" - Hippocrates

Quote Originally Posted by 4my son View Post
    I posted this article once before, Maybe put up this link for your friend and let he, and anyone else that might think that way, but didn't want to speak up. It's a relly interesting article about the way people think about guns, and what motivates a lot of people to feel that way.

I like that one.

Raging against self defense
    I just spent like an hour looking for that link because I lost my bookmarks and it was three posts below where I stopped reading the thread. Man, I feel dumb right now.
    ...He suggested that "every American citizen" should own a rifle and train with it on firing ranges "at every courthouse." -Chesty Puller

Distinguished Member Array 4my sons's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SammyIamToday View Post
    I just spent like an hour looking for that link because I lost my bookmarks
    BTDT

Memory stick,
    E-bay, like $20 - $30 for 1 Gig, I have so much stuff on it, and I think Iv'e used around 1.2 % of the space.

You just unplug it and go anywhere.
    "fundamental principle of American law that a government and its agents are under no general duty to provide public services, such as police protection, to any individual citizen." [Warren v. District of Columbia,(D.C. Ct. of Ap., 1981)]
    If I have to explain it, you wouldn't understand

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LBrombach View Post
    Wait, it's ok to defend my cow from a wolf, but not my wife from a thug?
    I got a good chuckle from this one.....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links