More Maine Gun Bills

More Maine Gun Bills

This is a discussion on More Maine Gun Bills within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Was going to post this in the ME LD 778 bill thread, but didn't want people to miss the new changes(mods if you feel this ...

Angry More Maine Gun Bills

Was going to post this in the ME LD 778 bill thread, but didn't want people to miss the new changes(mods if you feel this is too similar please feel free to merge it) since they apply to CCW as well.

Here are the text of the bills rated with my patented thumbs up and look out smilies heh

LD 146 An Act To Enhance Self-defense
    Sec. 1. 12 MRSA §11212, sub-§1, as amended by PL 2005, c. 477, §9, is further amended to read:

1. Prohibition. The following provisions apply to shooting from a motor vehicle or motorboat {remove} or possessing a loaded firearm or a crossbow in a motor vehicle{remove}.....[lots more to this one click on the link on page 2 of the LD778 thread to read all of the exact changes]
    LD 148 An Act To Provide Fairness in Concealed Weapon Reciprocity Agreements
    Sec. 1. 25 MRSA §2001-A, sub-§2, ¶F, as enacted by PL 2003, c. 452, Pt. N, §2 and affected by Pt. X, §2, is repealed and the following enacted in its place:

F. A firearm carried by a person:
    (1) To whom a valid permit to carry a concealed firearm has been issued by another state if that state grants reciprocity to a permit to carry a concealed firearm issued by this State; or

(2) From a state that does not require a permit to carry a concealed firearm.
    LD 778 An Act To Enhance the Qualifications for a Concealed Firearms Permit
    as seen in the LD 778 thread

LD 1000 An Act To Increase Firearm Safety on College Campuses
    Sec. 1. 25 MRSA §2011, sub-§5 is enacted to read:

5. Colleges and universities. Nothing in this section limits the power of any college or university to regulate the possession of firearms on the property of the college or university.
    LD 1111 An Act To Protect Children by Requiring Trigger Locks on Handguns
    § 455-B. Trigger lock requirement

1. Definition. For the purposes of this section, "firearm" has the meaning set forth in Title 17-A, section 2, subsection 12-A, except that "firearm" does not include a rifle, machine gun or shotgun.
    2. Trigger lock. A dealer may not sell, let or loan to a person a firearm that is not equipped with a trigger lock.
    There you have it...the good and the bad.
    be sure to drop your local elected officials a line about these bills.
    If you don't know who they are then you can go to this link:
    http://www3.capwiz.com/gunowners/
    and enter your zip code and it will list all of your officials. Good luck with these bills. I've been getting my ME relitaves to write letters but I'm not much good and my letters won't carry as much weight since I"m not a registered ME voter.

Kind of a mix there huh?

I hope the ones you like go through and the ones you do not like get thrown out.
    Good luck.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

We have that trigger lock thing here in CT. It's not a big deal. When you buy a gun it comes with one, a very cheap one. You don't have to keep it on just has to be there when you "cross the threashold" of the store. It make the anti's feel good and maybe someday we'll get a castle doctrine in exchange.....

Well AFTER Blumethal is gone.
    -Biker

I have zero problem with mandatory provision/sale of a trigger or most often cable lock with every firearm purchase.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Quote Originally Posted by Janq View Post
    I have zero problem with mandatory provision/sale of a trigger or most often cable lock with every firearm purchase.

- Janq
    dunno, not trying to start a debate by any means, so Iíll just state why I gave them the thumbs down.

1. I believe it's a law based on emotion rather than fact - I have not seen any data that links the sale of gun locks to a decrease in firearms fatalities...or any data that even links the mandatory sale of gun locks to an increased use of gun locks in the home.

2. I believe that the only thing these laws do are to promote the sale of cheap inferior gun locks that are easily defeated. As such I feel that they are only useful (in a very ideal sense) at preventing accidental shootings in the home for very young children...and if this is all it does then I'm certainly not for it. Lets face it, it's very tragic whenever someone dies from an accidental shooting, but there are ~100 children <10 per year killed and 1000 children <18 per year killed by accidental discharge of a firearm. Significantly less than this number are located in ME. I don't think those kinds of numbers justify placing yet another "feel good" law on the books.

3. I believe that it's a law that stinks of creeping incrementalism that we see in most gun laws...first make it the law that you have to sell a lock...then make a law that you have to use a lock...then make a law that you have to use a safe...then..then...then we are like the Canadians...then we are like the Australians...then we are like the British

again...just my thoughts and why I gave it a thumbs down

About Ld1000 - it lets colleges and universities regulate of guns are allowed or not.

Can someone explain how this has any impact ?

Private universities can already post 'no guns' just like any other private business.

Distinguished Member Array Stetson's Avatar
    I wish they would spend there time on more important things like
    balancing our budget and tax reform!It seems all they have time to do is make more laws for us serfs!We'll get them next time with
    taxes! They think the people of Maine have deep pockets!Sorry for
    going off topic but our politicians piss me off and I do vote!

Quote Originally Posted by Shizzlemah View Post
    About Ld1000 - it lets colleges and universities regulate of guns are allowed or not.

Can someone explain how this has any impact ?

Private universities can already post 'no guns' just like any other private business.
    I too was confused...it's a VERY strangly worded change to law...does this mean that signs will now be legally binding on college campuses? If so then it is a step in the wrong direction in my opinion. BUT if that is what they meant, then I think it could be challenged with it's current wording.

Links