Question About FL SB 2356...

This is a discussion on Question About FL SB 2356... within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Does anyone understand the full meaning and scope of the legislation in Florida (SB 2356 Personal Property Private Protection Act) which involves the ability to ...

Does anyone understand the full meaning and scope of the legislation in Florida (SB 2356 Personal Property Private Protection Act) which involves the ability to have a firearm in one's car on public or private property. This bill would make it illegan for one's employer to restrict the possession of a firearm of an employee or customer.

My question is whether or not this could encompass a vehicle in a school parking lot. I can't really determine that coverage from the bill's text.

Does any know the scope of this bill?

Thanks,

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Great question. I hope somebody can answer this...
    "May God have mercy on my enemies, because I won't."
    General George Patton

This is a quote from my state senator in his reply to my email urging his support for the bill:

"Frankly, as a former Superintendent of Schools and as a parent with children in school, I had concerns about this legislation when it was introduced last year. Federal laws strictly prohibit guns on school grounds, no matter who brings them. Last year's legislation could have been read to allow persons to bring guns in their cars onto school grounds. I understand that the bill is being changed this year to address that problem."

Looks like they have addressed the school issue, although I haven't read the text of the bill.

Are You Sure About Fed Law & School Grounds?

Quote Originally Posted by AlohaNole View Post
    This is a quote from my state senator in his reply to my email urging his support for the bill:

"Frankly, as a former Superintendent of Schools and as a parent with children in school, I had concerns about this legislation when it was introduced last year. Federal laws strictly prohibit guns on school grounds, no matter who brings them. Last year's legislation could have been read to allow persons to bring guns in their cars onto school grounds. I understand that the bill is being changed this year to address that problem."

Looks like they have addressed the school issue, although I haven't read the text of the bill.
    I believe that is a 'state only' issue...
    In Utah, CCW'ers can take guns INTO schools...no problems...as an additional note, being the only state to allow such...it is the only state, (I believe...) not to have had a shooting in a school...

I would sure like to have my weapon secured in my vehicle for my ride to and from work...

Stay armed...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    I believe that is a 'state only' issue...
    In Utah, CCW'ers can take guns INTO schools...no problems...as an
    yeah, I believe that there is an exemption in federal law for those who are licensed in that state and the license consists of a background check, ect, etc, (see the law for exact wording)...

Links