disabled carry

This is a discussion on disabled carry within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; so,here I am,getting ready to get back into shooting after awhile of not shooting. (although I've always had a gun in my house) The emphasis ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree45Likes

Thread: disabled carry

New Member Array analogmusicman's Avatar

disabled carry

so,here I am,getting ready to get back into shooting after awhile of not shooting. (although I've always had a gun in my house) The emphasis before was just shooting for fun but now the emphasis is carrying concealed for protection against people bent on killing people like you and me. Since I'm disabled and can't walk normally (I use a rolling walker),I'll have to figure out what "shooting position" will be suitable. Any ideas?any disabled shooters around? (actually,any ideas on any aspect of "disabled defense" are welcome) with all the expertise here,I'll bet there'll be a few thoughts.

tnx,

I am looking toward to hearing any thought on this. Years ago I read a magazine article that discussed shooting with crutches for a temporally injured person. The author suggested letting the crutches drop and shooting one handed.

Sent from my C811 4G using Tapatalk

I had a stroke a little over 20 years ago and still have some residual effects but here are a couple of my thoughts. Fortunately a rolling walker can be used to advantage, if you are proficient shooting one-handed you can brace yourself with your off hand while engaging a threat. Another option is to drop down and use the walker to steady yourself while employing a two-hand hold.
    arizona, Sister, dmitchsr and 8 others like this.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Quote Originally Posted by msgt/ret View Post
    I had a stroke a little over 20 years ago and still have some residual effects but here are a couple of my thoughts. Fortunately a rolling walker can be used to advantage, if you are proficient shooting one-handed you can brace yourself with your off hand while engaging a threat. Another option is to drop down and use the walker to steady yourself while employing a two-hand hold.
    Exactly use the walker frame for elbows and kneel. Sadly bad people prey on older and disabled. Good for you choosing not to be a victim.

In California where they are so restrictive to everyone ( in closing disabled ) I trained a fellow to use OC from a walker. Don't know if he ever used it but he was pretty good with inert trainer spray.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    msgt/ret likes this.

Another option is to drop down and use the walker to steady yourself while employing a two-hand hold. I had to use a walker If I did what you suggest I couldn't get up If I fall I can't regain my footing I need people to help me up . My family knows if I am out side and they hear rapid fire .and I didn't tell them I was going to be shooting . That I have fallen and need help . If shooting and fall all I can do is hope a car comes by and they see me waving
    Old Man and msgt/ret like this.
    come visit me at my home www.bersachat.com or http://www.metroarms1911forum.com
    1990, 1992 Colt Mustang 1941 Colt USGI 1951 Colt Commander 9MM
    1972 Colt Combat Commander 1994, Colt Officer ACP 2001 Colt LTW Commander 2005 Colt Defender 2007 Dan Wesson
    early Belleview Detonics

Senior Member Array flagflyfish's Avatar
    I guess my first question would be, how are you planning to carry? On body or off body, on the walker in a pack or such? You mentioned that you shoot for recreation, how do you handle your firearm while at the range?
    Once those questions are answered we can start to help you put together a plan.
    "These are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier
    and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the
    service of his country; but he that stands it now, deserves the
    love and thanks of man and woman."

-- Thomas Paine (The American Crisis, No. 1, 19 December 1776)

Welcome to DC and congrats on the decision to not be an easy victim. Reality is that BG's look for easy targets, and those of us with physical disabilities often make easy targets.

To answer your question, all I can do is relate some of my own experience.

I have used a cane for 20+ years and am slowly getting worse, both from age and subsequent injuries.
    I found that doing some advanced training with a trainer who could work with me on finding ways to shoot that take advantage of my abilities and still work within my limitations of mobility.

Some things I do:
    Maintain a mental state of not being a victim. (Part of that is focusing on what I CAN do rather than what I can't.)
    Practice one handed shooting with both left and right hands as well as two handed.
    Practice in many positions. standing, sitting, on my back, on my stomach, on my side, etc. (Some of this is done with the idea as though I have been pushed down.)
    Maintain my physical strength and stamina as fully as possible.
    Practice incorporating the cane into my overall defensive strategy.

Don't be afraid to ask questions. The more specific the question, the more apt someone will be able to give you a relevant answer. If you don't feel comfortable asking in the public forum, feel free to send a private message.
    Democracy:
    Two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
    Freedom:
    A well armed lamb contesting the vote.

I have a strong background in ergonomics, as well as problem solving, I would love the chance to work with you on developing techniques that will aid you in using your walker, and incorporating it into your self defense regime. Feel free to PM me and we can start bouncing ideas back and forth. No promises, but I will try.
    AzQkr, scottync, dmitchsr and 1 others like this.

Distinguished Member
    Welcome to the forum from North Carolina.
    "Threat assessment and situational awareness seems to be the order of the day.
    Why wouldn't physical and mental preparedness be any less of a consideration?"- dmitchsr

"Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum"
    >>>>ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ<<<<

Great to have you with us and good question. We never know when we may need this kind of help.
    He went on in this vein for a long time, urging them over and over, "Get out while you can; get out of this sick and stupid culture!" (Acts 2:40 Message)
    Let your gun therefore be your constant companion of your walks." - Thomas Jefferson

A few years ago, I had a series of events that left me disabled. I can't rely on my legs to hold me and so I can't run or even make any sudden moves. I was fortunate to have a friend in Texas who is a proficient shooter and shot competitively for many years. One of his friends is a retired Federal LEO and he spent a couple of days at an amazing range exploring my limitations and my strengths. Because of this I have developed a different mindset. I can't be the hero I always imagined I would be and I have concentrated my training on protecting myself and my family...oh, and be a good witness. He was huge on situational awareness especially because of my disability. I have a hard time getting off the X so we worked on real life scenarios. In some cases we found it was best I just drop to the ground and in others, I would move to a source of concealment or some form of protection. In all cases I trained on a attack on myself or people with me.

The advice you will get here will be invaluable, but if possible, real live training will cement what you learn.
    “Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”
    ~Sheriff Jim Wilson

To be a citizen you are required to stand up straight and tall as you can. To be a subject you are required only to kneel.

Glad to have you here, welcome!

I will echo the others in that you will get some great info on this forum with nice folks. I also have some disability issues, it's even more reason to carry since the bullets move so much faster than we do!

When my Dad was using a cane to walk and was shooting at some copperheads he did just fine with a cane holding him up and the gun in the other hand!

(don't know the answer to your question - I'm still hobbling and have not lost the balance as of yet)
    msgt/ret, TSKnight and matthew03 like this.

United Daughters of the Confederacy member
    UDC

American by birth
    Christian by choice
    Southern by the grace of God

New Member Array analogmusicman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by flagflyfish View Post
    I guess my first question would be, how are you planning to carry? On body or off body, on the walker in a pack or such? You mentioned that you shoot for recreation, how do you handle your firearm while at the range?
    Once those questions are answered we can start to help you put together a plan.
    eventually,I'm planning on carrying my .357 'INSIDE THE WAISTBAND" or whatever I can work out. right now,as soon as my wife and I get our CCW permits,she'll carry the .357 in a "pocket holster" inside her purse and hand it to me if it's needed. (awkward yes,but you do what you have to do!) since I don't drive,she's with me when I'm out.
    I haven't gone to a "range" in a long time. don't know how I'll handle things there.

PS: I DO have a "service dog" (a big golden) to help me get up when I fall. (I weigh 200 so miniature poodles are OUT!)

tnx,

You're looking ahead and already have a basic plan. That's half the battle. Keep an open mind towards learning and developing the plan. You may even surprise yourself with what you can do.
    Democracy:
    Two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
    Freedom:
    A well armed lamb contesting the vote.

What about cross-draw? You can keep one hand on the device, centered and reach across with the other to snatch that sucker from your waistband? Or AIWB of some sort?
    -- Robert
    NRA Patron Member

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links