Gun past airport security... any more details?

This is a discussion on Gun past airport security... any more details? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I saw this story on Fax News this morning. Does anyone have any other details about this? I'm curious how she managed to get it ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gun past airport security... any more details?

Gun past airport security... any more details?

I saw this story on Fax News this morning. Does anyone have any other details about this? I'm curious how she managed to get it on the plane, why she took it on the plane, and then why she would turn herself in at the end of the day when, from the article, it sounds like she got away with it.

Whatever the reasons, as I get ready to fly to New York next week, stories of people getting a weapon on a plane make me a bit nerveous... I'm already a nerveous flyer...

I'm hoping she did this to prove a point about the lack of security at this particular airport... but if anone had more details on this, I'd appreciate knowing.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,263045,00.html

Flight Attendant Arrested for Carrying Gun Aboard Flight

Saturday, March 31, 2007

WASHINGTON A uniformed flight attendant was arrested at Dulles International Airport after she turned herself in for allegedly carrying a concealed handgun aboard a flight from Atlanta, authorities said Saturday.

The Transportation Security Administration, the FBI and other law enforcement agencies were investigating how the gun passed through security unnoticed in Atlanta, TSA spokesman Barry Phelps said. Flight attendants have to go through the same security procedures as all other passengers, he said.

Janet Tucker, 45, of Lithonia, Ga., turned herself in Friday for carrying the weapon on United flight 7591, said Rob Yingling, a spokesman for the Metropolitan Washington Airports Authority. She was in uniform but was not part of the duty crew at the time, he said.

"It seems it was an inadvertent incident, from her description," he said.

Tucker was arrested and cited on charges of having a concealed weapon at the airport. She was interviewed and released on a summons to appear in Loudoun County Court in Virginia at a future date, Yingling said. It was not clear whether a court date had been scheduled and he didn't know whether Tucker had a lawyer.

United Airlines spokesman Jeff Kovick said a United employee had been arrested but would not confirm any other information.

Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport spokesman Herschel Grangent had no further comment. A telephone message seeking comment from FBI officials in Atlanta was not immediately returned.
    When the messenger arrives and says 'Don't shoot the messenger,' it's a good idea to be prepared to shoot the messenger, just in case.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    She might have gotten past the security screening checkpoint and into the sterile area with the gun by showing her flight crew ID and the TSA screener did not check her bags or missed it if she asked for a visual inspection. That's if the gun was in a bag.

If it was on her person, TSA either failed to screen her, the walk-through or hand-held metal detector was broken or it's sensitivity wasn't properly calibrated or it alerted and a screener didn't resolve the alert properly.

I went through security training at Hartsfield ten years ago and witnessed a guy trying to go through security with a field stripped Ruger centerfire semi-auto and a couple of loaded mags. My group left just as LE was cuffing him.
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

VIP Member
    The TSA will miss about 20% of all weapons and explosives that their testers try to get by them. If they were thorough enough to detect nearly 100% then the lines would be horrific.

Anywho no big surprise. I have brought many prohibited things on aircraft over the years. None were intentional and none were caught. Screening is really about making the flying public "feel" safe, not about any real safety.
    Procrastinators are the leaders of tomorrow.

All the screening makes me feel less safe. I don't go anywhere without at least one knife, it is my most basic survival tool. If I can't have that I don't fly. So I haven't flown anywhere since 9/11. I need to go anywhere I drive, no matter how far or how much time it takes.

Administrator
    I fly armed on a semi regular basis, I am sure I could get by the "security" if I really wanted to. I have walked on planes without ever showing paperwork, creds., or anything else proving that I'm "OK". Of course I always had those items and was prepared to show them if asked, but I never was a few different times.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Senior Member Array Timmy Jimmy's Avatar
    As far as not flying because you can't carry a knife put it in your checked baggage right before you check your bag and get it out as soon as the bag comes off the carousel. That is what I do with my Kimber. The bag come off the carousel and I take it straight to the nearest Handicap bathroom, the only problem I have found is when I rack the slide to put one in the chamber it seems real loud.
    Timmy Jimmy

If it is not in the US Constitution then the Federal Government should not be doing it.

"Carrying a gun is a social responsibility."

Distinguished Member Array Anubis's Avatar
    I can see how a pistol could be missed in an x-ray, depending on the angle of the x-ray beam. A side view would be obvious, but a top-view could appear rectangular and not look at all like a pistol.

It does not seem reasonable that a flight attendant could forget there was a firearm in a bag, however.

VIP Member
    I now try to avoid flying. I did a 700 mile drive, each way, to avoid the airport scene.

I won't say that I absolutely won't fly, but if I have an option; there are plenty of reasons besides TSA rules why the airlines don't deserve passengers anymores.

VIP Member
    Well some of us can't avoid flying. Haven't figured out how to drive to Europe or Asia yet. Could find a new job I suppose, but I can't afford to work for 30% of what I make now. Oh well.

As for forgetting I can see how it would happen. I live out of a suitcase, so I guess I can be more understanding. She will have to pay a heavy fine and may lose her job over it though. Since there was no malice that is probably about all I would think. Loved seeing the reactions of people on the local TV here though. They were all just absolutely terrified over it.
    Procrastinators are the leaders of tomorrow.

Distinguished Member Array fed_wif_a_sig's Avatar
    Guys simply put no screening system is perfect. TSA screeners do miss stuff, but to blame them for this isnt appropriate. Alot of airports allow folks based there to bypass screening by using their airport id's, which are issued after application and background checks. Unfortunatly some folks misuse that access and this isnt the first time. What interest me is that she admitted it after she got off the flight. Heck all she'd have to have done is walk off and go on her way to the closest gun store and mail it home and noone would have known. Cudos for her honesty but now we know why there are air marshals.
    Steve
    "Respect all ... Fear none!!!

VIP Member
    Agree with FWAS.

Unless the regs have changed from back when the FAA was responsible for Federal oversight of the security programs, the only airport ID'd (Security ID Display Area cards) persons that can bypass security are LEO's. Everyone else with a SIDA card goes through security screening.

Despite being able to fly armed....I hate to fly.

she probably was able to sneak through there because she had a plastic gun like a glock that goes through security undetected. JMHO

jk

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by fed_wif_a_sig View Post
    now we know why there are air marshals.
    Got to love the Air Marshals... I have never met a goofy one. I tend to think a lot of people are goofy too.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I have heard of at least two people saved by a Swiss army knife used in tracheotomies on flights. I used to carry a Swiss army knife on all fligts and lost one only once in Iran (pre revolution) and they were paranoid about knives then. I don't know if you could even buy a pocket knife in Iran. I remember being in elementary school and the teacher asking the nearest boy to borrow his pocket knife to open a box or something she needed a knife for. We also carried our guns on public tranportation when we were on the rifle team (letter sport) in high school. Boy! have things changed.
    Sambo74
    SI VIS PACEM, PARA BELLUM

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Got to love the Air Marshals... I have never met a goofy one. I tend to think a lot of people are goofy too.
    Then you are lucky...I've met one or two.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links