CCW While a Passenger

CCW While a Passenger

This is a discussion on CCW While a Passenger within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Yesterday I was a passenger in a van with business associates. None of whom know that I carry. The driver was involved in the various ...

Thread: CCW While a Passenger

CCW While a Passenger

Yesterday I was a passenger in a van with business associates. None of whom know that I carry.

The driver was involved in the various conversations, and as such was paying less than adequate attention.

Everything turned out OK, no accidents or stops, it brought to my mind a question for Texas traffic stops.

Texas requires that you inform an officer if you are carrying.

I'm guessing that as a passenger you should just keep quite unless spoken to.

Is this right? Or are you required to inform the officer there is a firearm in the vehicle?

Anyone know?

in SC, the rule of thumb is if they ask for DL/ID,THEN you state you're a ccw holder, if you are/arent armed, as you hand them both DL and CWP

My understanding is that unless you are addressed by the officer and asked to provide identification by them you do not need to say anything to them, or provide your CHL.

Not much different than if your in line at the local store, whatever and engage in casual conversation with a LEO. No requirement there either to inform them that your carrying.

You might want to check elsewhere to be sure though and not rely on my understanding.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Distinguished Member Array fed_wif_a_sig's Avatar
    I would check that out with your state agency to get an official opinion. I understand you not always wanting your friends/co-workers to know that your carrying, but to be safe check it out with DPS, jsut to be safe.
    Steve
    "Respect all ... Fear none!!!

M2
    You are required to present your CHL when asked for indentification by a police officer, at which point the officer may ask if you are armed. At that time you inform him/her that you are carrying. Easy enough. Otherwise, keep quiet.

Cheers! M2

Hello i was told in class (in michigan) even if your a passenger u still HAVE to tell an officer if u are carrying, if your not & he doesnt ask for your ID i believe you dont have to say anything. But the best thing to do is call & ask!!

In Texas,if he doesn't speak to you,just keep quiet,his business is with the driver.sj

Calling your local police department for clarification might be the best idea.

Distinguished Member Array fed_wif_a_sig's Avatar
    I disagree with calling your local pd. Many times that will end you up talking to someone who dosent know that specific law that well. Since he is from Texas he can easily email or call the TX DPS office dealing with concealed carry and they will email you back within 24 hours.
    Steve
    "Respect all ... Fear none!!!

The deputy that taught my class on 3/24 said if you are a passenger, dont speak unless spoken to.

Here is a good source to get info on CCW laws:

http://www.packing.org/

Here is the Texas page:

http://www.packing.org/state/texas/

Here is the quote from that site:

If you are asked by a law enforcement officer to show ID (as in a traffic stop), you are REQUIRED to volunteer that fact you are armed by showing your CHL along with driver's license. When they run your DL, it will show if you have a [B]Texas Resident CHL, so they WILL find out. DPS says the first time you fail to show a CHL, you license 'may' be suspended for 90 days, the second time, 3 years and the third time it may be revoked. (I do not think they are enforcing this rigorously.) The third time 'might' be a Class B misdemeanor but the 2nd time would not. A Class B would result in an automatic revocation which costs your CHL for 5 years.(Bold emphasis added)

This is not a legal opinion, however. You would do well to consult a qualified attorney on the issue (Mandatory disclaimer )
    LegalRaptor
    The freedom to swing my fist ends where the other man's nose begins
    Oliver Wendell Holmes

Quote Originally Posted by mcp1810 View Post
    ... if you are a passenger, dont speak unless spoken to.
    Bingo ^^

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Quote Originally Posted by LegalRaptor View Post
    Here is a good source to get info on CCW laws:

http://www.packing.org/

Here is the Texas page:

http://www.packing.org/state/texas/

Here is the quote from that site:

If you are asked by a law enforcement officer to show ID (as in a traffic stop), you are REQUIRED to volunteer that fact you are armed by showing your CHL along with driver's license. When they run your DL, it will show if you have a [B]Texas Resident CHL, so they WILL find out. DPS says the first time you fail to show a CHL, you license 'may' be suspended for 90 days, the second time, 3 years and the third time it may be revoked. (I do not think they are enforcing this rigorously.) The third time 'might' be a Class B misdemeanor but the 2nd time would not. A Class B would result in an automatic revocation which costs your CHL for 5 years.(Bold emphasis added)

This is not a legal opinion, however. You would do well to consult a qualified attorney on the issue (Mandatory disclaimer )
    Exactly, if you are asked to show ID you must show your CHL if you are armed. But if they are stopping you because your friend made his right turn on red without stopping completely the only ID they will probably be asking for is the drivers.

Senior Member Array Timmy Jimmy's Avatar

M2 Has it right!

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    You are required to present your CHL when asked for indentification by a police officer, at which point the officer may ask if you are armed. At that time you inform him/her that you are carrying. Easy enough. Otherwise, keep quiet.

Cheers! M2
    What he said!!!!
    Timmy Jimmy

If it is not in the US Constitution then the Federal Government should not be doing it.

"Carrying a gun is a social responsibility."

Sponsored Links