LD 778 update

LD 778 update

This is a discussion on LD 778 update within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Well , pro gun people made a good showing and it seemed the legislators were on our side for the most part . The big ...

Thread: LD 778 update

LD 778 update

Well , pro gun people made a good showing and it seemed the legislators were on our side for the most part . The big surprise today is anti gun forces amending LD 1111 to make it a law that pistols have a gun lock on within the home when not immediately in use . This was snuck in at the last minute . LD 148 dealing with reciprocity seemed to be opposed mostly by law enforcement . The kicker for the day was kids were used to promote the gun lock issue as presenters and when questioned where they got there stats and facts , they said , the brady bunch . They were repeatedly asked if they tried to get info from anywhere else like the NRA etc , and they said no . Luckily this is a pro gun state and stuff like this doesn't make it very far .

Well I was a little worried about the last minute ammendment to the LD1111 gun lock bill. Proposed for all pistols "not in use" to be locked. But it was unclear as to what use was. Carry is unlocked, but it was explained as in the home / off your body needs a lock.

Glad this is a fairly pro-gun state, but Im not taking anything for granted.

778 got some grief from the pro-gunners. Not a lot of support, just the originator of the bill - and I'll hold my personal comments and just grit my teeth. I think 778 doesn't stand much of a chance ...

Quote Originally Posted by ptmmatssc View Post
    Well , pro gun people made a good showing and it seemed the legislators were on our side for the most part . The big surprise today is anti gun forces amending LD 1111 to make it a law that pistols have a gun lock on within the home when not immediately in use . This was snuck in at the last minute . LD 148 dealing with reciprocity seemed to be opposed mostly by law enforcement . The kicker for the day was kids were used to promote the gun lock issue as presenters and when questioned where they got there stats and facts , they said , the brady bunch . They were repeatedly asked if they tried to get info from anywhere else like the NRA etc , and they said no . Luckily this is a pro gun state and stuff like this doesn't make it very far .

Well that's mostly good to hear I guess (about the good pro-gun turnout). I really want to live the rest of my life in ME but I fear that the influence from the southern part of the state and overflow of MA residents is going to seriously increase the whole "two Maines" theory...I sure hope that I don't see the day my most beloved home state goes soft on firearms issues...
    Definitely don't like the changes to LD 1111 and what it implies but that will be another fight for another day I guess.

Thanks very much to all those who were able to attend the hearing. I hope to be able to get involved in the fight for our rights as soon as I return from my exile.

i agree , support for LD 778 was surely lacking excluding the rep and one constituent . Still burns my a$$ that LD 1111 was amended at the last minute to add gun locks on guns in the home . Don't think that one got much traction either . Really hope they let LD 148 go through , but what will make it harder is having law enforcement opposition . We'll just have to keeps tabs on it and keep reminding our reps where we stand and how we feel .

Write your representatives! I thought they were a bunch of hacks voting for the biggest campaign contributors - until Colorado's "Make my day better law" was debated this year. I got concerned enough to call and write and e-mail - and got several (lengthy) replies (from those supporting the bill - nothing from the opponents. The bill failed to pass, but the sponsor from Weld county vowed to present it again next year!

FYI: The new Colorado law attempted to add cars and your place of business as places where the use of deadly force against an unlawful intruder would be presumed lawful. Currently, only the home is covered.

I have changed my mind about some of the political folks - some really do care, but they tend to be outnumbered...
    Protect your family. Reload. Call 911.

Links