Frangible Ammo Issues

Frangible Ammo Issues

This is a discussion on Frangible Ammo Issues within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hello All I was wondering what possible issues that could result from using frangible ammo (ie: Extreme Shock, MagSafe and Glaser) for CCW. My biggest ...

Frangible Ammo Issues

Hello All

I was wondering what possible issues that could result from using frangible ammo (ie: Extreme Shock, MagSafe and Glaser) for CCW. My biggest concern would be legal issues resulting from and overzealous, politicaly minded prosecutor bent on outlawing CCW permits. My concern is, would they use the frangible ammo as a legal hook to hang me from. Any thoughts and/or experience?

KRobb

6000' above sea level - Albuquerque NM USA
    I'm a former prosecutor and a current defense lawyer. As a defense lawyer, I would answer any such allegations of evil ruthlessness by pointing out how the ammunition is designed to be safer to passers-by.

As a shooter and someone who's worked on over 100 handgun killings, though, I'd tell you to lose the frangible ammo. Get something that is guaranteed to penetrate adequately. Read up on what Dr. Martin Fackler (probably the world's leading expert on bullet wounds in human bodies) had to say about Glasers . . . it was something along the lines of, if someone died from one it would be about three days later, from peritonitis.

1952 - 2006
    Though I have no personal experience with frangible ammo in an actual shooting, I have read numerous accounts of what happens with it in many occasions where it is used.
    The general consensus is that it can create massive wound channels however, these are frequently not deep enough to reach the vital organs. The ammo is designed to not over-penetrate, but in many case studies it doesn't penetrate deep enough. Glaser blue has been shown to disperse about 3 inches deep. This is not deep enough to reach the vital organs, especially if your offered COM is from the side or through an arm, or if it strikes bone prior to reaching the vital organs. It is just not going to perform for you in stopping the BG. Thick heavy clothing can also cause the round not to penetrate deeply enough.
    I will stick with performance designed HP defense ammo from a respected ammo manufacturer.
    My personal preference is Federal Hydra-Shock 230 grain in my 45. Big, Heavy and slow is my opinion of good personal defense ammo.
    Heroes are people who do what has to be done, when it has to be done, regardless of the consequences

"I like when the enemy shoots at me; then I know where the ******** are and can kill them."
    ~George Patton

DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Glaser has had successes and failures....like all ammo. So much depends on shot placement, as it does with all underpowered handgun ammo. Would much rather have a shotgun or rifle, but difficult to conceal.

If I were going to use Glaser, it would be the silver with larger #6 pellets.

All frangible ammo is a special situation ammo. Glaser is the only one with any track record.

As far as I know, ammo used in a good shooting, has never been a factor in court.
    Keep the shotgun handy!!

Links