Found myself in a new situation.

This is a discussion on Found myself in a new situation. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I just took a new job, in an entirely new field. So, after 17 years in the broadcast industry, I have to learn an entirely ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Found myself in a new situation.

Found myself in a new situation.

I just took a new job, in an entirely new field. So, after 17 years in the broadcast industry, I have to learn an entirely new trade. Without going into to many details, I will have to go into hospitals around the state. A guy from Chicago is up in my neck of the woods training me. When I dropped him at his hotel yesterday, he told me he would drive, and we would have a really short day with some training on their computer system.

You can't carry in hospitals in Michigan, but since he said we wouldn't be calling on anyone, I put on my gun as normal this morning. When I got into his car at the hotel, he told me we would be making a couple of calls today instead of the computer training.

Not knowing how he would handle the fact that I was carrying, I told him we would have to turn around so I could leave something in my car back at his hotel.

He asked what... so I told him.

I explained that I had a permit to carry, but I couldn't take my gun into the hospitals, and rather than make him uncomfortable by locking it in his car, we should turn around and I would lock it in my vehicle at his hotel.

He said he didn't mind leaving my gun in his car, so I locked it in his trunk while we made our calls, and then grabbed it after we were done.

At lunch, we had a really nice conversation about why I carry, how I take protecting my family, myself, and my friends very seriously... eventually it evolved into hunting and shooting in general. I found out he has never shot a gun, never been hunting, but is certainly not against them for protection.

All in all, it was a nice day with some great conversation, but I found myself in a brand new situation that made me quite uncomfortable for few minutes. There was nothing in the hiring guidlines about carrying... They did a full back ground check on me, so I don't know if any info that I have a CPL would have shown up... but the very fact that I had to tell a relative stranger that I had a gun on my hip, and this guy could effect my new career... well.... it was interesting.

Could I have handled this any different? The worst is over for this particular situation, but should I ever find myself in a similar situation, I'd like to be able to handle it the best way possible.
    When the messenger arrives and says 'Don't shoot the messenger,' it's a good idea to be prepared to shoot the messenger, just in case.

2. Remove Ads

Looks like you handled it fine to me. I think for most of us, just trying to explain to someone else why we carry is the hardest part, as you don't know what they're response will be.

You handled it well. Next time he's around, offer to take him to the range at lunchtime or after work.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

Senior Member Array Timmy Jimmy's Avatar
    You done good boy.

Good luck with your new job!
    Timmy Jimmy

If it is not in the US Constitution then the Federal Government should not be doing it.

"Carrying a gun is a social responsibility."

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    Oops, I forgot to take my fiber pills. No way can I go around constipated! Can you take me back to the hotel?
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

You handled it fine. It turned out just fine in the end.
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

I seems like your trainer had an open mind and a lot of common sense. You should take this guy to the range and convert him. We need more people like this. Hope you do good and like your new job.

Sounds to me like you came across to the guy like a responsible law abiding citizen who takes his obligations seriously.

Ya' done good.
    fortiter in re, suaviter in modo (resolutely in action, gently in manner).

Administrator

Thumbs up

You did fine. Nothing else you could do really.
    Usually just telling the truth in a responsible manner is the best way to go.

Me being a person working in "The Arts" field I encounter both folks that are Anti~Gun through total lack of knowledge - AKA Ignorance Creates Fear
    - and also people who are basically Neutral Gun.

Usually, as intelligent people who are both Anti & Neutral gain trust in "you personally" - they may STILL not LIKE and still fear guns (in general) but, your gun will be OK with them - due to the fact that YOU are now "OK" with them.
    Does that make sense? I'm running on no sleep today.

I've found that to be very true in Pittsburgh on those very few past occasions where I've had to "go limited public" to another person with the fact that I "carry" all the time.

I think you did just great.

Oh...and when I say Usually telling the truth is the best way to go...that would NOT include when your Wife just went clothes shopping and is modeling her most recent clothing purchases for you...and she dons a bright Pumpkin Orange top and sez:
    "Honey...I really love this top and the way it fits and it's 100% Cotton & it's SO comfortable...do you like it?
    "It's "Jones Of New York" and it was 60% off!"

Then it's BEST just to say:
    "Wow! Yeah! I really Do like it!
    I like it a LOT ~ You don't look at all like you're ready to go out Trick Or Treating."
    Last edited by QKShooter; April 4th, 2007 at 10:04 AM.

Take him to the range!!!
    ...He suggested that "every American citizen" should own a rifle and train with it on firing ranges "at every courthouse." -Chesty Puller

s on getting the heck out of the broadcasting industry!!

I have not been in it 17 years yet, just 13, but I am actively trying to get out of it myself.

I'd be interested in finding out what you are doing now.

Also, sounds like you handled the situation very well!
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

The wonderful/terrible world of television. I got out of it once.

Two years later I was back in it.

It's a disease.

To paraphrase Hunter S. Thompson: It's a "...cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side."

Quote Originally Posted by SammyIamToday View Post
    Take him to the range!!!
    Great idea. A change to educate one more person to not be of guns, shooting and people who carry!
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

I give you !
    Firefighter/EMT
    "You've never lived until you've almost died. For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected will never know" - T.R.

<----My LT was unhappy that I did not have my PASS-Tag at that fire. But I found the body so he said he would overlook it. :)

you done did good my friend... now take him shooting and make the total conversion of him from mild mannered clark to the gun buy junkie hero he has locked inside of him self.
    When the dust settles only the prepared will survive.

NRA LIFE MEMBER

remember the only thing common about common sense is that its not that common

Shoot low boys their riding Shetland ponies.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links