Download magazine by one?

This is a discussion on Download magazine by one? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have an interesting question to pose to the board. I just talked to one of the old hands at my local shooting range who ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Download magazine by one?

Download magazine by one?

I have an interesting question to pose to the board. I just talked to one of the old hands at my local shooting range who also carries a 1911 and he advocates loading all magazines to one under capacity to eliminate jamming. Does anyone else follow this rule? Does anyone even know why a full magazine would cause jamming? FYI I use Wilson magazine bodies with Tripp Research followers and springs. I've got three of them and haven't had a jam in over 1500 rounds. Those are pretty good odds IMO.
    - Kurt
    “Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it.” ~Pericles of Athens
    Primary Carry - Colt Commander .45 in a Brommeland Max-Con V

2. Remove Ads

I try to keep mine alternating them one loaded one empty and yes I do leave one...been doing that for a long time..(since 1990)...never had a problem....(I do keep several of them around)
    "You can say 'stop' or 'alto' or use any other word you think will work but I've found that a large bore muzzle pointed at someone's head is pretty much the universal language."

NRA Member
    GeorgiaCarry.org

this is for 8 round mags

usually the pressure of cramming a 8 rounds into a mag tube the same size of 7 adds a lot of pressure onto the bottom of the slide and can cause some funny stuff with top round
    Tripp mags dont have this problem since they were designed as a 8 round tube to start

I typically dont under load but only have this problem with certain mags have not with Wilson yet but i have heard some have

Senior Member Array Timmy Jimmy's Avatar
    My Magazines only hold 7 and I fill them up. My best friend has told me I should only put 5 in the magazine because it is hard on the springs but I asked Kimber about it and they told me that was an old wives tale.
    Timmy Jimmy

If it is not in the US Constitution then the Federal Government should not be doing it.

"Carrying a gun is a social responsibility."

Administrator

OK I can answer this one as I have owned a few more than many 1911 and variant pistols. No. You should not need to do that.
    IF, your pistol is properly tuned.
    By being properly tuned I mean -
    The extractor head properly configured.
    The extractor properly tensioned. -
    The breech face decently smooth. -
    The frame ramp & barrel ramp decently smooth and properly mated. -
    The correct size barrel link installed. -
    A fresh (at least standard weight) recoil spring installed.

I have said this before. I'll say it again.
    On a properly tuned 1911 pistol you should not be able to prevent the top round from entering the barrel chamber - even if riding the slide forward as slowly as possible.
    Topping the magazine off and reinserting that fully stoked magazine w/ one round already chambered should cause no added/additional function related operating problems for your pistol.

If the ejection port is opened up and everything is also right with the ejector you should be able to hand cycle a fully stoked magazine through that pistol and the pistol should hand cycle and run just like a fine sewing machine.

It should feed with the handgun held upside~down & sideways and it should feed exactly the same way no matter if you ride the slide or if the slide is sling shotted or if you use the slide stop/slide release.

If your pistol is a Colt 1911 or is a Colt/Copy Clone and it does not feed & function perfectly like that...then it is not tuned properly. Something is wrong.

End of story. It's that simple.
    You need to have a "street reliability and action job" done on your pistol.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Thank you guys, especially QKShooter, that's the kind of answer I was looking for. I appreciate the need for absolute reliability, but questioned whether this practice would actually improve the reliability of an otherwise properly tuned gun. Looks like I was right to question it.
    - Kurt
    “Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it.” ~Pericles of Athens
    Primary Carry - Colt Commander .45 in a Brommeland Max-Con V

Quote Originally Posted by Timmy Jimmy View Post
    My Magazines only hold 7 and I fill them up. My best friend has told me I should only put 5 in the magazine because it is hard on the springs but I asked Kimber about it and they told me that was an old wives tale.
    I'm still trying to get my father to believe that! I guess some folks get set in their ways.
    The question is...Why would a manufacture manufacture an 7 round magazine and label it as such, if it could only function properly with 5? Answer: common sense isn't very common.
    I tried to do an analogy with my dad...but it didn't work. I took a paperclip and bent it into a double shaped V(so it could support something when laid on it's side) and placed a small book on top of it to create pressure. Checked in the morning and it was still all in one piece. I presented it to dad and said it didn't break did it...then asked him to bend it back straight and then back into a V again a few times...He wouldn't even try, said it would break (expected)... So he understood that the metal would break, but doesn't seem to be able to relate this to his magazine springs......ARG! That was 2 years ago...still hasn't changed so I don't bother pursuing it any longer. I just hope he gets it a some point.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the **** out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

In my duty G22 I fill the mags because its my duty pistol and I want as many rounds as possible. In my G19 I carry off duty I put only 13 in the 15 round mags. I started doing this because of glock tests were they said your magazine springs were supposed to last 4 times as long if you didn't fill the bottom row. Since I shoot my G19 alot, I decided to do this to make my mags last longer. I wasn't concerned with full magazines affecting the reliability of the pistol though.

I think that the concept of downloading mags comes from a time when the springs aren't quite what they are today. Maybe. At any rate, I download my Glock 22 mags by 1, and rotate them as often as I think of doing it. But, I top my Kahr mags off simply because they don't hold as many rounds, and I want as many rounds at my disposal as possible.

I think that if you ask 20 different 'gun guys' this question that about 10 of them would say to download, and about half of them would say that you don't have to.

That's what I think.
    The keys to winning a gunfight are first to bring a gun and secondly to take your time, quickly.

Always remember that if your opponent is within range, so are you.

POWER TO THE MEPEOPLE!!!

Load it up. You never know when you need the extra round.
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

VIP Member
    I only download one on my Glock 23s (12 instead of 13) & on my 8-round 1911 magazines (seven only) for practice. All others full to the brim......

I download the Glock 23 for two reasons, the last round is a big pain to get in the magazine by hand & if you do a tactical reload (one round still in the chamber, slide closed), the magazine can be hard to seat. My wife also carries a Glock 23, so I keep every thing the same for both.

The reason I do it the 1911 is, I have a bunch of magazines....some are 8 round others are only seven. Since I only put in 7, I don't have to look to see which mags are which. One disclaimer though, on the spare magazines on my belt I keep 8 rounds in those.
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

Senior Moderator
    For some reason, after LOADS and LOADS of shooting, my hands get so tired and my little girlie fingers are so sore that I start to shake and just CAN'T get that 8th round into the mag... So I shrug and shoot with seven rounds.
    I'm starting to get callouses on my thumbs and the middle finger of my left hand so hopefully that will go away soon.

I have been having a few problems with my first round entering the chamber but I doubt very seriously that it has anything to do with the magazine. After I get the round into the chamber it shoots beautifully.

Sometimes I wish I was a gunsmith.

Lead Moderator
    Kinda like other gun mags . Fill it forget it. But you always see stories of don't fully load the mag. Even with the AR crowd, some will say "only load 28 in a 30 rnd mag. "
    Last edited by QKShooter; April 4th, 2007 at 11:48 AM. Reason: minor typo
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

In 1995 I purchased a S&W 4516-2. Both mags that came with the gun have spent 99.99% of their existance fully topped off. They function as well as the day I bought the weapon.

Quote Originally Posted by Mainspring
    I think that the concept of downloading mags comes from a time when the springs aren't quite what they are today.
    Exactly. Let's not forget that magazine-fed, semi-automatic pistols have been around for more than 110 years now. We have learned a lot about tempering steel in that time!

With a modern, properly-functioning pistol and magazine there is absolutely no reason not to carry it fully loaded. No reason at all.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links