Stopped by police - Page 3

Stopped by police

This is a discussion on Stopped by police within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Spionen He told me LOE's generaly respect and think highly... The operative word here is "generally." What LEOs do "generally" is not ...

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Stopped by police

Quote Originally Posted by Spionen
    He told me LOE's generaly respect and think highly...
    The operative word here is "generally." What LEOs do "generally" is not what ALL LEOs do in ALL situations. Most of the people I know who choose not to inform the LEO unless they are required to do so, have made that choice because they have heard one too many stories (or been personally caught in the situation) where an LEO turns all paranoid and goes nutso on someone who politely, calmly, and respectfully informed them that they were carrying a legal firearm.

I don't agree with their decision not to inform, but given the fact that it DOES happen I can certainly understand it.

Distinguished Member Array Squawker's Avatar
    Myself, I always inform an officer that I'm carrying when he comes up to the car. I have my hands on the wheel at 10 and 2. I don't want to move my hands around, especially around an area like my wallet, without the officer knowing. My procedure for a traffic stop (and unfortunately, I've been pulled twice in the past year), is this: When the officer comes up to the car, he will say something initially to introduce himself. He'll probably ask for my license. Keeping my hands stable, I then say "Officer, for your comfort and safety, I want you to be aware that I have a concealed handgun permit. I am currently carrying a Springfield Armory XD 45 on my right hip. How would you like me to proceed?) Of course, sometimes, like when I go to work, it may be a Glock 26 in a pocket holster in my right front pocket. Each time, I've found the officer to be friendly and courteous. They have not as yet asked me to step out, or to take possession of the weapon. They ask me to go ahead and get my license (and insurance, registration, etc). I include my CCW with the license. And each time, while I was indeed wrong, I've been given a warning and sent on my way. Keeping your cool, and showing the officer respect (which is what I believe you're doing when you inform him), you will come out of this in the best possible way. Now, that won't always be a warning. But, you'll be treated in a better manner yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Glock 'em down View Post
    As a police officer, I can tell you that even though your State law may say that it "IS NOT NECESSARY" to inform an officer that you are carrying, common sense should tell you something else. I've been a cop for almost 18 years now. I don't get excited and run Code 3 to a bar fight, nor do I try to fill the jail or even go looking for "bad guys." I learned a long time ago that I do not need to go looking for the action - the action will come to me! However...it still puts a burr under my saddle when somebody has a gun in their car - whether they have a license, or not - and they do not tell me about it! Like rocky said, I will show you mine if you don't tell me about yours! Hell, if you tell me you have a gun (and a permit ), I'm liable to start talking guns & gear with ya! But for your own safety ALWAYS tell an LEO when you are packing - simply showing your permit is not sufficient!

Oh...and BTW, FOR YOUR OWN SAFETY, please have your hands on the steering wheel where the officer can see them when you say "I've got a gun."
    Sir with all do respect I think you are giving bad advice. I have been taught to always hand your CCW with you license to notify the LEO you are carrying.

Number one: If the officer hears GUN in any context.....he will not hear CCW or the fact you have a permit out of your mouth.

Number two: Even if he DOES hear CCW or permit out of your mouth..he will not believe you until he sees it and most likely verifies it.

The sheriff of my VERY large county has verified this is your best plan of action upon being pulled over by a LEO.

Verbally saying GUN is your speed pass to a Felony Stop!!!

In Kansas, your CCL number is the same as your driver's license number. With data bases being what they are, I have no doubt that if stopped by a LEO, and he runs a check on your DL that he will already know if you have a permit or not. Having been involved in LE a good number of years ago, if CCW had been available then, I would have appreciated knowing in advance that a person I was interacting with was armed. IMHO, what is the harm in letting them know? Unless you personally have had a bad experience with a LEO over this subject, hearing about it from someone else is just hearsay, and they may not be giving you all the facts. However, this is not to say that there are some LEO's that think they rule the world or should. But, usually most of them I have known and worked with, and occasionally interacted with from the civilian side were decent guys. Maybe one of them just had a bad day or some family member is sick or dying and they are experiencing abnormal stress, that is not job-related. I know most of you have never had that happen, right?

Quote Originally Posted by jahwarrior72 View Post
    i would say it depends where you are. i personally would feel more comfortable telling LEO, but my local LEO make me just a bit too uncomfortable to do so, because of their profiling habits. so in the case of the local PD, i say don't ask, don't tell. state troopers seem to be more level headed about most things, so i would just hand them my license and CCP, and see where it goes from there.
    Luckily i grew up and went to school with all the LEO's in my town and they know i carry and everyone else in town carries... but when i go to my girls parents in lower sucks county..... i wont say anything unless they do first....
    When the dust settles only the prepared will survive.

NRA LIFE MEMBER

remember the only thing common about common sense is that its not that common

Shoot low boys their riding Shetland ponies.

For those in Texas the law used to be you had to show your permit any time you were asked for ID by a LEO. Now you only have to show your permit if you actually are in posession of a weapon.

But something to keep in mind, more and more departments are putting mobile data terminals in the cruisers. Most of the officers I know run your tag before they walk up to talk to you. When they run the tag they get the information regarding the ownership of the vehicle and if the tags are suspended or if the vehicle is stolen. Some of the software packages also automatically run a wanted check on the registered owner of the vehicle, and some states also advise the officer if the registered owner has a carry permit. So how do you think the officer is going to regard you if he knows you have permit but you don't bother to mention it until asked? Especially if you are armed at the time!

Thumbs up Stopped by police

I was stopped at a road block in Atlanta and asked for "Drivers License and Insurance Card"...I handed LEO license, insurance card and my CCL with the comment "carry license is for the Colt .45 under my left arm." He asked "Is it loaded"....my reply was "cocked, locked and loaded". He commented "You are honest..you would be surprised how many people tell me they have a gun and that it is not loaded...and it is." I was on my way after this brief discussion.

Administrator
    "Just blame Sixto"

VIP Member
    A little common sense goes a l-o-n-g way!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Here's my method:

I don't move around in the vehicle and keep my hands in plain sight. I also turn on the dome light if it's dark.

I do not inform the Officer about the weapon unless asked, or required by law. If asked about a weapon I will not lie and will tell him/her where they are located. I will also tell him/her that I have a Concealed Carry License and Departmental ID and will produce either upon demand. I carry certain guns with my Departmental ID and others under my CCL.

I'm one that doesn't like to "muddy" the waters over a traffic stop. Give me the ticket and I'll be on my merry way.

Biker

I feel it best to inform the officer. In KY when they run your drivers license, it will inform them if you have a CCW. I want to make the LEO at ease.

Ohio.
    Notification required if carrying.
    Notification not required if not carrying.
    I notify either way.
    My CHL is flagged to my driver's license.
    Would much rather have LEO aware up front of my CHL status and aware of whether or not I am carrying.
    Courtesy to the badge packer.
    My personal preference.
    "Deine Papieren bitte?" or "ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ !"
    (Choose only one)
    NRA Endowment Member
    "I bark at no man's bid. I will never come and go, and fetch and carry, at the whistle of the great man in the White House no matter who he is." -- David Crockett

You need to do a few more things than just keep your hands on the steering wheel if stopped by a LEO. Inform the LEO you have a handgun and a permit first thing. Even if your state does not require you to inform the LEO, common sense says you should. It is for, both, yours and the LEOs safety.

Do NOT reach for your permit or handgun unless directed by the LEO. Then tell the LEO what you are doing prior to doing it.

Follow all the LEO's orders to the letter.
    Mark
    SC CWP Instructor
    NC CCH Instructor
    NRA Certified Instructor

My CCW has as much to do with the traffic stop as does my pocket knife or the axe in my back seat. I will not inform unless asked or unless the LEO will come into direct contact with the CCW (i.e. He asked me to exit the vehicle.)

If I was open carrying or if the gun was in plain-sight, I would let the LEO know so as not to surprise them. There isn't a chance that they would see my CCW.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by American Pit Bull View Post
    My CCW has as much to do with the traffic stop as does my pocket knife or the axe in my back seat.
    Thats because you have not been on the "other side". If he have been there, you would understand the importance of this, and understand why taking the advice of the LEO's on this board would be a wise idea.

Do what you want, and roll the dice if you wish.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links