Stopped by police

This is a discussion on Stopped by police within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Well...just let me inform you guys who choose "not to tell" that I can not guarantee that you will NOT enjoy the outcome of the ...

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Thread: Stopped by police

Well...just let me inform you guys who choose "not to tell" that I can not guarantee that you will NOT enjoy the outcome of the officer's interview. Don't be surprised if you don't get "extracted" from your car, thrown to the ground face first, handcuffed and "placed" in the backseat of a police cruiser where a drunk just barfed up his socks in there yesterday!

What I'm trying to tell you is, even though your state says "you don't have to tell" that doesn't always mean it's the best thing to do! Since when have you guys thought ANYTHING your State & Local government decided for you to do was a good idea anyway? But...I'm gonna shut up now and let you guys deal with it. Just remember...officer safety is #1 in EVERY OFFICER'S EYES IN EVERY STATE OF THE USA...be prepared to suffer the consequences of your decision to "hide" your weapon and not inform the police.

...are you ready?
    Last edited by Glock 'em down; April 6th, 2007 at 11:09 AM.

2. Remove Ads

My son is a Law Enforcement Officer in Dade County Florida. I have had a concealed carry permit for years. My son's advice to me if I am ever stopped by Police while I have a gun in my possession, "Immediately inform the officer that you have a weapon, a permit to carry, and wait for the officer to tell you what to do next, if anything." Don't fool around in such a situation!

Quote Originally Posted by Glock 'em down View Post
    Well...just let me inform you guys who choose "not to tell" that I can not guarantee that you will enjoy the outcome of the officer's interview.
    The laws that support one's right to be free of ultimate arrest due to keeping the info quiet certainly don't protect you from an officer's heightened degree of concern/trepidation about having just found a gun, unannounced. There's no duty to inform, in Oregon, yet a couple of times recently I've done exactly that. Kept things on the table, simple and clean. Showing a little respect for the other guy's adrenaline dump ain't a bad thing, particularly when that guy is packing, too.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

i can't believe this thread got this meaty. it seems cut and dry. you get pulled over. you hand the officer 4 cards. license, registration, proof of insurance, and permit. keep your hands high on the wheel and let him know your carrying. i don't see the big deal. nobody should feel that righteous not to. if you got something to hide. then you've got bigger problems than a speeding ticket.
    What's this button do?

p85

This kind of attitude should worry the average citizen

Well...just let me inform you guys who choose "not to tell" that I can not guarantee that you will NOT enjoy the outcome of the officer's interview. Don't be surprised if you don't get "extracted" from your car, thrown to the ground face first, handcuffed and "placed" in the backseat of a police cruiser where a drunk just barfed up his socks in there yesterday!

What I'm trying to tell you is, even though your state says "you don't have to tell" that doesn't always mean it's the best thing to do! Since when have you guys thought ANYTHING your State & Local government decided for you to do was a good idea anyway? But...I'm gonna shut up now and let you guys deal with it. Just remember...officer safety is #1 in EVERY OFFICER'S EYES IN EVERY STATE OF THE USA...be prepared to suffer the consequences of your decision to "hide" your weapon and not inform the police.

...are you ready?
    First, let me say that I believe that the officer should expect all people in the vehicle to be armed without having the driver inform him/her of that fact. Anything less is a plus for the officer. I personally do and will in the future, inform the officer that I have a permit and am armed. This however should not make the officer nervous. Had I intended harm, I doubt I would let them know I was armed. The attitude that the officers safety is paramount to mine is pure BS. To me, my safety and the safety of my family is as important. I was recently stopped in a routine license check (not for doing something illegal) and I informed the officer that I was armed. Things went very well, he respected the fact that I have the right to carry. It didnt make him nervous, in fact, he smiled and said "have a nice day". Any other treatment on my part or his would have been a violation of each others human rights. Let's use a little common sense in how we deal with each other.

There are statistics that clearly show that there is a much higher number of guns illegally carried. For people to act like an officer shouldn't be alarmed if they see an un-announed gun is bs. I don't think that glock 'em down was trying to say that his safety was any more important than yours. As an officer, he shouldn't be a threat to you because his job is to insure public safety. You know that, but he doesn't know who he is dealing with. Officers pose no threat to you if what you're doing is legal. And unfortunately, there have been many incidents were officers didn't know there was a gun until it was too late. So with that known, I think you would all understand why officers get mad when people try to hide their guns from them.

grow up yourself

Aw hell...you guys ALL need to grow up! You act like it's such a friggin' chore to tell the cops you're packing! Why!? GET OVER IT!
    I volunteer no information unless asked.

Simple as that. The officer has a job to do and at the moment the officer is keeping me from getting on with mine.......................Be polite and only tell the officer what he wants to know.

Lead Moderator
    WARNING!Final warning. Keep posts on topic and debate politely.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

If you have been issued a CCL in your particular state, you should be very aware of the law regarding that CCL. I'm in Texas and my book that was issued by the Texas Department of Public Safety is on my desk. I make it a point to review it often. So, folks, it's a matter of state law. If you obey the CCL laws in your state you'll be ok.

Just as an aside, you also have the right, when stopped by someone who appears to be a LEO, to ask for their commission card. The uniform, the badge, the gun and the car are symbols of their authority. Their commission card is their authority.

Treat LEO's with respect and you will be treated equally. I know LEO's from Customs, Border Patrol, local PD's. I shoot IDPA with them every week. They have a job to do.

Why don't some of you get the chip off your shoulder.

M2
    So, what is the law in Texas? I only got my CHL late last summer, and I also have a copy of the laws albeit they are the 2005-2006 laws (which is the one still on DPS' web site). I thought the law was that CHL holders were to provide their CHL anytime they are asked for identification, i.e. driver's license. Did that change?

Max nix for me, I will happily volunteer that info if I am ever approached by a LEO. As I said, I want everybody to be as relaxed as possible, and no surprises. I hate surprises, and I am sure cops do too!

Cheers! M2

M2
    OK, now that I looked it up I realize I may be mistaken...

TGC 411.205:

If you are asked by a law enforcement officer to show ID (as in a traffic stop), you are REQUIRED to volunteer that fact you are armed by showing your CHL along with driver's license. When they run your DL, it will show if you have a [B]Texas Resident CHL, so they WILL find out. DPS says the first time you fail to show a CHL, you license 'may' be suspended for 90 days, the second time, 3 years and the third time it may be revoked. (I do not think they are enforcing this rigorously.) The third time 'might' be a Class B misdemeanor but the 2nd time would not. A Class B would result in an automatic revocation which costs your CHL for 5 years.
    So if you are not armed you are technically not required to present your Texas CHL. However, as I learned from a trip to the local police department with the Cub Scouts, they will know that you have a CHL when they run your driver's license, so why not be up front about it?

Cheers! M2

Every "citizen" wants to go home to his family at nite just like any LEO. The bad guys out there hit the gas or just come out shooting when pulled over. The majority of citizens that get CHP's follow the law in their state. It's shouldn't be a us vs. them type deal. Many times police have helped out someone in your life.... an many times an "ordinary citizen" has helped out a LEO. Let's work together.

There are bad apples on both sides of the playing field. Some of the folks here who are not LE have run into a bad one, and are of course scared to get punished for having a gun. The idea that we should get thrown on our face for not having the courtesy to tell we are packing is ridiculous. The person not telling is taking a risk yes indeed.

My point is that officers assume that they many not go home at the end of the day... so does the average citizen. How many victims of crimes have the LEO's here come across n their career that are dead because they could not protect themselves from a violent offender? I think it's fair to say that we ALL want to go home at the end of the day.

Lot's of the men and women here will stick their necks out for eachother regardless of LE or not. I like the idea that everyone assume that every person they meet is armed. I'm sure bad guys ARE NOT going to anounce they have a weapon, so why bust the balls of the law abiding citizen about it? If it's that big of a deal why do state laws allow the voluntary notification deal?

Anyway my original question was "how should i say it?" It seems pretty obvious to me to just hand over the CCW with the insurance and registration and DL.

Sixto has an excellent thread on this subject of getting pulled over. It is about getting pulled over and doesn't even really go into the whole gun issue. It seems that if you just follow those suggestions, gun or not, you will be okay.
    "The best compliment to the Warrior is that others feel safe while you are around." I would add especially if they REALLY ARE safe when you are around.

BTW, I"m not disrespecting those LEO that say "i want to go home at the end of the day", I'm just saying I do too.

Also, if you are asked if you have a weapon you're on the hook anyway might as well come out and say it in the first place.
    "The best compliment to the Warrior is that others feel safe while you are around." I would add especially if they REALLY ARE safe when you are around.

It is interesting that there is daily conversation on the board about how firearms are nothing more than tools or inanimate objects... How it takes a criminal or criminally negligent person to make the object dangerous. (Legislate criminals, not guns etc...) But as soon as a law-abiding citizen comes in contact with a LEO it becomes a weapon of mass destruction and you better shout out that you have this device on your person or you will risk having your face on the pavement.

If we are all so very comfortable carrying these tools of self defense, then why the concern when dealing with one of the members of a group of people that are out there helping us every day?

Sure, you don't want to surprise them at your window with a loaded firearm in sight, but I doubt you would want to have a machete on your lap either or to have your spiderco in your hands when they returned with your information.. I do not let the officer know of every potentially dangerous object in my vehicle, or on my person, unless he is about to come in contact with them... i.e. he asks me to leave the vehicle... In that instance, I will tell him about the SIG on my hip, the knife in my pocket and anything else that may be on my person.

If, for some reason, I have a firearm that is not in a case or otherwise viewable, I will let the officer know to prevent a reaction from him/her. (I have been pulled over with a hunting rifle within reach and I didn't fell the need to immediately tell the officer what was in the case.)

I don't think twice when carrying into places that are not on the restricted areas in the states that I frequent... I carry in my bank every day and I don't feel inclined to tell the security personnel that I am armed.. I carry into the police station (unrestricted areas) when paying parking tickets or meeting friends. I carry into my wife's place of work, which has a bar area and severs alcohol.. I may even sit at the bar and converse with my wife's subordinates while I wait for her. Of course if I am negligent and I brandish my CCW in these places I will definitely get some unwanted attention, but that is what the first "C" in CCW is there for... no one but my wife and my LEO friends know that I carry. Not my parents or my best friends... (I would tell them if they asked, but I like to keep it concealed.) The only reason that the LEOs know is that we go shooting together and I often spend time at his house reloading and BSing about firearms...

I am nothing more than the friendly guy that holds the door open for you and your wife. I am the guy that shakes hands with our troops on the street. I am not a criminal with a gun.

The tool on my hip has nothing to do with the headlight that is out on my Grand Cherokee and it will not be entered into the equation unnecessarily. I will still have a nice conversation with the officer and I will thank him for pulling me over.

VIP Member
    Unless the law in your state requires, it's a personal decision to be made based upon each situation. That said, When I carry (24/7) I probably will inform up front, never use the word "gun," remove the sunglasses (and any machismo), keep the hands visible, follow directions, be courteous, honest, and direct. Of course, there is a slim chance I'll meet with an "attitude," but I don't want to chance what could happen when the LEO senses I'm holding something back. You don't think they know how to do that? If they want to chat about guns, we might be there all day :)
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Links