Stopped by police

This is a discussion on Stopped by police within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; We are not required to inform here in Tennessee so I do not. Now, I might if they were to ask me to get out ...

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast

Thread: Stopped by police

We are not required to inform here in Tennessee so I do not.

Now, I might if they were to ask me to get out of the car but, it has not been a problem since the last time I was pulled over for a traffic infraction was in 1988.

I was flagged over at a check point on 3 consecutive nights heading home from work in 2005, the first 3 days after hurricane Katrina. That was when we lived in Mobile County Alabama and there was still a curfew in effect. And on each night, the Deputy asked me if I was carrying (different Deputy each night) and each night when I said yes, they said good, and to stay alert and ready. Those were very good LEO encounters.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

2. Remove Ads

Smile

Right now the state of Kansas does not require notificationof a CCW til asked. When an officer does a stop and runs the 10-27 they will be told if the 27 shows a CCW or not, if dispatch is doing their job. So, do they need to be imformed? For what it's worth, I'll give my CCW permit along with my DL in a traffic stop situation. AND if asked, will imform the officer if I am or am not carrying at the moment. I will be highly p'oed to get a loaded gun shoved in my face for being upfront. Still, I realize that there is a fairly large percentage of officers that think they are the only ones in the world that ought to be able to carry. How can I say that??? I worked LEO for several years. I have had the pleasure to work with some really fine officers who were professional in every way AND some that sure needed to find another line of work. About three years ago I remember going past the dispatcher's desk at the SO after a couple of "days off" and asking her "How's the new guy?" Her answer was "He's got a 'chip' about this high!" (hand above shoulder 10 inches) and "He probably won't last long." Well, she was right on both statements. IN the meantime he gave quite a few citizens a bad impression of LE. He's driving a semi now for however that lasts. Problem is with the driving public you never know what kind of an officer you're gonna draw. I've got several good friends in LE and several of those urging me to come back into LE. My best friend in LE has the best motto/creed of "I treat them like I'd like to be treated until they show me otherwise." That's about as fair as it gets. Some of the LE on the forums need to read the "Card"! The one that some hand out to business owners... 'Have no felony convictions,have never been convicted of domestic violence, have no history of mental illness, Have passed FBI background check, Have fingerprints on file with the KBI/FBI, Have passed mandatory training in both the use of a firearm and the applicable law.' Further more LE most of all should realize that permit holders have had to jump through a lot of hoops and expense for their permits and are probably some of the most law abiding people that are driving up and down the roads today. BTW, I may say I'm former LE to help put the officer a little more at ease if I can see he/she is really nervous, cause I have no idea what he/she may have been through in times past with car stops. Yeah, I ALWAYS treat them like I'd like to be treated just to keep it safe and civil.

Hawaii, South Korea, North Carolina, or Guam...or deployed.

This is easy.

I've read through the entire thread, and I saw a bit of "us and them" mentality. I'm not LE, I'm a Marine. I have friends who are LE though, and I have friends who are civilians. We have one thing in common - we're all Americans, and all of us want to go home at night. That's why we choose to carry in the first place - in case we are confronted by a bad guy. The policeman pulling you over doesn't know if you're a good or bad guy. He can get a clue though based on your actions. An unannounced gun probably will not throw him into self preservation mode if you've been acting in a civil manner - probably. But, it may. Maybe he just had responded to a shots fired situation. Maybe his buddy is in the hospital after a traffic stop gone bad. If an unannounced gun does put him into spin mode, it's not out of disrespect, it's because he doesn't know you to be a good guy for sure. And gambling his life that you are a good guy so as to not hurt your feelings is not wise - nothing to gain and everything to lose.

To tell or not: Up to you. But, keep in mind the policeman is every second judging if you are a threat or not. An unannounced gun spotted by him increases the chance you may be perceived as a threat. And that's all its about. Nothing more.

Quote Originally Posted by Major E View Post
    I've read through the entire thread, and I saw a bit of "us and them" mentality. I'm not LE, I'm a Marine. I have friends who are LE though, and I have friends who are civilians. We have one thing in common - we're all Americans, and all of us want to go home at night. That's why we choose to carry in the first place - in case we are confronted by a bad guy. The policeman pulling you over doesn't know if you're a good or bad guy. He can get a clue though based on your actions. An unannounced gun probably will not throw him into self preservation mode if you've been acting in a civil manner - probably. But, it may. Maybe he just had responded to a shots fired situation. Maybe his buddy is in the hospital after a traffic stop gone bad. If an unannounced gun does put him into spin mode, it's not out of disrespect, it's because he doesn't know you to be a good guy for sure. And gambling his life that you are a good guy so as to not hurt your feelings is not wise - nothing to gain and everything to lose.

To tell or not: Up to you. But, keep in mind the policeman is every second judging if you are a threat or not. An unannounced gun spotted by him increases the chance you may be perceived as a threat. And that's all its about. Nothing more.
    If some previous event is a major factor in a cop going into "spin mode", he or she is in the wrong business, that's for sure. And, it's dangerous for an LEO to make decisions or take actions influenced by anything other than the matter at hand.

For me, it is about us and them, with "us" being law-abiding citizens and cops and "them" being the bad guys. I conduct myself as a law-abiding and polite citizen when I interact with LEOs. With that in mind, I don't need to announce that I am carrying, since it has nothing to do with the transaction at hand! Pretty simple, and it's worked for me.

Note to Geno: Paragraphs are your friend, and make for easier reading by others. Thanks.
    "It's a big gun when I carry it, it is also a big gun when I take it out” – Clint Smith

Friday night I came upon several NSP patrol cars blocking part of a 4 lane divided highway. They appeared to be waving me and several other vehicles around them. After going around I saw a patrol car start after our little caravan. I pulled over when car was just getting along side me. He continued to the lead vehicle and finally we all stopped along shoulder. I flipped on dome light and placed my hands on wheel and waited and when the Trooper got to me I informed him I had a CHP and was carrying. He asked me "Where I had the weapon?" and I said "Right hip 3, o'clock." He shined light and commented "It's concealed nicely. What do you carry?" I said "A Glock 23." He smiled and said "Good choice." I asked him if he wanted to see my CHP and he said no. I stated I wasn't sure if this was considered official contact or not but felt he deserved to know. He said I handled it just perfectly. He continued that they thought they blocked the road well enough but evidently not. Told me to just turn around in the lane and take the next county road around the accident that was blocking the highway. He wished me a good night, smiled, then turned and walked away.

Here in Nebraska you must inform any LEO or EMS you are carrying immediately or as soon as practical during an official contact.

Although I thought LEOs always assumed everyone is armed at a traffic stop I really can't understand what the big deal is to let the LEO know you're armed and have a permit. Even if I wasn't required to do this by law to disclose I still would to try and put the LEO at ease and just out of courtesy. It's not a big deal to me.
    Fireman

Carrying either a Glock 23 or 30 each w/ TruGlo TFO in Comp Tac C-TAC holsters since obtaining Nebraska CHP in Feb. 2007

<---------------------The reason I carry.

It's up to you. In my case I HAVE to inform the officer. But either way I would regardless.

If you do I have been told you should hand over your CCW with your other officer requested pieces of information. NOT to do it verbally. Even if the officer hears information beyond you saying GUN then he won't or should not believe you to the point of letting you dig for your CCW. There is a good chance of it turning into a felony stop.

IMO tell the officer even if not required. Who knows you might just get out of a ticket at the same time.

Hawaii, South Korea, North Carolina, or Guam...or deployed.
    Quote Originally Posted by JimmyC View Post
    For me, it is about us and them, with "us" being law-abiding citizens and cops and "them" being the bad guys. I conduct myself as a law-abiding and polite citizen when I interact with LEOs. With that in mind, I don't need to announce that I am carrying, since it has nothing to do with the transaction at hand! Pretty simple, and it's worked for me.
    So far I've been pulled over three times (no tickets) when armed, twice with my pistol in my glove box and once when carrying. Both times when I was asked to hand over my registration when my pistol was in the glove box I informed that my weapon was there before moving a muscle. The time when I was carrying, my registration, insurance, and license were in a small folder in the pocket of my door, so I just handed him the folder. In that instance, though I was carrying, I chose not to inform as I didn't see it as necessary. He hadn't asked, it was well concealed, and I didn't need to move around or move my hands anywhere near the weapon. I just kept them on the steering wheel after I handed him the folder.

I prefer to take each situation as it comes. But I do think it's a mistake to have the policy of never informing them, especially when it's likely they will spot the weapon. If you must be in one camp or the other, it's safer to always inform. My point is to just understand that the LEO does not know you for sure as a good guy, and if an unannounced gun is spotted you might then be perceived as a threat to be controlled.

In Ohio you are required to inform LEO immediately when approached or pulled over if you are carrying your weapon. I was pulled over about 8 months ago for exceeding the speed limit. I have a CCW permit but at the time I was not carrying. As the officer approached I already had the window down and instintively had both hands on top of the steering wheel in plain view. Before I had a chance to talk, he asked me if I had my weapon on me. Apparently, a license plate check flagged him to my permit. He asked if I had a weapon, I said No, officer, and that was it. I don't believe I had to acknowledge the fact that I was unarmed, however, as a courtesy I feel they should be told if you are not carrying as well.
    Glock 34 9mm
    Glock 36 .45acp
    Kahr CW9
    S&W 642-2 .38 +P
    Ruger Mark ii 22/45

Red face

Thanks Jimmy C. How do you do paragraphs? I'm serious; I really don't know. Thank you in advance.

Senior Member Array Smith&Wessonfan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by devo6684 View Post
    Apparently, a license plate check flagged him to my permit.
    Our handgun licenses are tied to our driver licenses. If the vehicle you are driving is registered to your name, your DL and CHL are known to him before even getting out of his car. If the vehicle you are driving is not registered to you, he won't know you have a CHL until he takes your DL and runs it.

In any case, you are right. If carrying, must inform. If not, then not.

Administrator
    On our system that I use, the CCW warning pops up the same way a wanted person does. That just bugs me.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    On our system that I use, the CCW warning pops up the same way a wanted person does. That just bugs me.
    In principle, I agree with you. To treat the fact of concealed-carry just as one would treat the fact of a felony track record is, in any way, shape or form, wrong.

However, practically speaking, I would rather have an approaching LEO know my weapon is legit, legal and not a threat prior to it being seen and prior to any Daniel Sayers-like unreality unfolds in front of me for fear of the damned thing. All things considered, having the LEO know this in advance ain't a bad thing.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Administrator
    I cant tell you how many times I've flipped around and went after a car because the warning red flasshing light went off on my computer, only to find out its just a CCW'r heading home from work.
    You would think I'd learn, but I guess Mr. Pavlov was right.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by Geno View Post
    Thanks Jimmy C. How do you do paragraphs? I'm serious; I really don't know. Thank you in advance.
    OK, I'll assume you're not setting me up and are serious...heh.

After you finish a sentence and want to start a new paragraph, simply hit the "Enter" key twice; that will leave you a blank line, which makes for much easier reading.

Like this.

Or this.

Etc.
    "It's a big gun when I carry it, it is also a big gun when I take it out” – Clint Smith

Jimmy C.

No set up here.

Thanks a lot!!!

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast

Links