Stopped by police

Stopped by police

This is a discussion on Stopped by police within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; What do you do if you are carrying and a police officer stops you and some way detects you maybe carrying? What if asks you ...

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Stopped by police

Stopped by police

What do you do if you are carrying and a police officer stops you and some way detects you maybe carrying? What if asks you are you carrying. Besides showing him or her your carry permit do you admit to carrying a weapon or do you say you should not have to answer that question. I would imagine you would not want to show the gun to an officer, then it would not be concealed. Has anyone had experience with this situation?
    Brown45cal

always be truthful. If your state requires you notify the officer, then do that. If it does not require you to notify the officer, then its your choice, but when asked always tell the truth. If you don't and they find otherwise, your in for a bit more of world of hurt.
    "Gun Free Zones" is where only criminals carry guns.

Lead Moderator
    Check your local/state law. In my state disclosure of carry is required during a stop. Casual interaction is not the same. If you are being interviewed by LE , I suggest you inform em of carry status regueardless. Might save ya from looking at the wrong end of a duty gun, if it is spotted.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Senior Member Array tanksoldier's Avatar
    In Colorado I'm not required to inform the officer unless he asks.

A police officer is allowed to use their firearm under the same circumstances that I am allowed: to defend their life or that of another.

If the officer is reasonably feels threatened simply by the fact that I have a gun in a holster on my belt, threatened enough to draw his gun and point it at me in fear of his life, then isn't it reasonable for me to fear for my life when I see that HE has a gun in a holster on his belt?

It's exactly the same thing... two people authorized by the state of Colorado to carry firearms. If he reasonably feels that his life is in danger in that situation, then I should likewise feel in danger if we're both reasonable people.
    "I am a Soldier. I fight where I am told, and I win where I fight." GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by tanksoldier View Post

A police officer is allowed to use their firearm under the same circumstances that I am allowed: to defend their life or that of another.

If the officer is reasonably feels threatened simply by the fact that I have a gun in a holster on my belt, threatened enough to draw his gun and point it at me in fear of his life, then isn't it reasonable for me to fear for my life when I see that HE has a gun in a holster on his belt?

It's exactly the same thing... two people authorized by the state of Colorado to carry firearms. If he reasonably feels that his life is in danger in that situation, then I should likewise feel in danger if we're both reasonable people.
    While this may be true, he is in uniform(most likely) and may not know you are one of the good guys. ) Officer safety is taught to control the situation, if during a traffic stop an officer spots a gun, you may get to see the wrong end of a gun till things get sorted out.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

These LEO have a dangerous job and if you are up frount with them a feel that would appreciate it. Its better for them when they know right away what they are dealing with and will put them at ease.

As a police officer, I can tell you that even though your State law may say that it "IS NOT NECESSARY" to inform an officer that you are carrying, common sense should tell you something else. I've been a cop for almost 18 years now. I don't get excited and run Code 3 to a bar fight, nor do I try to fill the jail or even go looking for "bad guys." I learned a long time ago that I do not need to go looking for the action - the action will come to me! However...it still puts a burr under my saddle when somebody has a gun in their car - whether they have a license, or not - and they do not tell me about it! Like rocky said, I will show you mine if you don't tell me about yours! Hell, if you tell me you have a gun (and a permit ), I'm liable to start talking guns & gear with ya! But for your own safety ALWAYS tell an LEO when you are packing - simply showing your permit is not sufficient!

Oh...and BTW, FOR YOUR OWN SAFETY, please have your hands on the steering wheel where the officer can see them when you say "I've got a gun."

Quote Originally Posted by tanksoldier View Post

I'm sorry, but that statement is ridiculous. If a weapon is concealed but the officer sees it and the officer is getting "beat around the bush answers" his level of suspicion is raised. An officer who is obviously in uniform with a marked police car behind you is no threat unless you are a threat to him/her.

If an officer sees a weapon on your person, for your safety, let him/her know that you are lawfully armed and provide your permit. DO NOT LIE. LEOs hate being lied to.
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

How should you say it, and what I mean is terminology.

Should I say:
    "officer, i have a concealed hangun permit" or
    "I have a permit for a handgun is in my belt"

What's the best way to put it?
    "The best compliment to the Warrior is that others feel safe while you are around." I would add especially if they REALLY ARE safe when you are around.

Thanks for all of the input. I will tell the office up front if stopped. I will keep my hands high on the steering wheel. Good advice.
    Brown45cal

It seems that some LEOs want to treat law-abiding citizens who carry as though they are doing something wrong!

In my state I'm not required to disclose that I am carrying unless asked. I won't, unless I am in a position where it may be discovered, in which case I'll notify the LEO of its presence. Or, of course, if asked I will respond honestly.

Last summer I was rear-ended, a minor accident with no injuries. Since the subject didn't come up, I did not inform the officer that I was carrying. He took care of business and we went on our way. It simply wasn't relevant to the transaction so had no place in our conversation. What's the big deal here?!

The raw expectation by LEOs that they be informed even when not required by law is pretty self-centered...I continue to contend that such an expectation is treating a law-abiding citizen like a BG. If you want to suck up and hope for a break, go for it; as for me I'll maintain private info as private.
    "It's a big gun when I carry it, it is also a big gun when I take it out” – Clint Smith

Quote Originally Posted by duracles View Post
    How should you say it, and what I mean is terminology.

Should I say:
    "officer, i have a concealed hangun permit" or
    "I have a permit for a handgun is in my belt"

What's the best way to put it?
    As a police officer stopping "you" for a traffic offense or whatever reason, I would like "you" to have "your" permit - NOT YOUR GUN - in your hand and give it, along with your driver's license, to the officer and say something like...

"Good morning/afternoon/evening officer. Before you start your interview, I just want to tell you that I am a CCW permit holder (hand him the permit & driver's license) and I have a - Glock model 23/Sig model 226/Beretta model 92 - whatever you are carrying - on my right/left side in a holster. What would you like me to do?"

And then leave it up to the LEO. I stopped an older gentleman one time who had on a shoulder holster. He did EXACTLY like I just described it, and I just reached inside his car, grabbed the zipper on his jacket, zipped it up to his neck and simply said "just leave it in there" and went on with my interview. Simple as that!

And if anybody wants to say "I don't feel comfortable with an officer touching me like that!"

GROW UP!

I had a friend who said the cop (oops..police officer) asked to see his gun. I don't think I would want to be in the position of reaching for my gun or having it in my hand in front of an armed police officer. Anyway, if I did show it to him, should I drop the clip and unload it first, like handing to someone who is a stranger to guns? My friend just handed his loaded gun over and I'm real uncomfortable about that whole situation.

kpw
    I learned from a sales guy at Gander Mountain that you should not exit your car and approach an officer telling him you have a gun. He said it was a painful experience tasting the hood of the patrol car.

My father in law recently got pulled over showed his permit and the gun to the LEO, got the speeding ticket on the ticket it stated that he had a gun and a permit to carry it. That was all, I would for sure let them know can't hurt as long as you are the good guy.

Randy

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Links