Ohio-CCL holder arrested in Sandusky.... - Page 2

Ohio-CCL holder arrested in Sandusky....

This is a discussion on Ohio-CCL holder arrested in Sandusky.... within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Well, this stinks. I'm getting ready to move to Ohio and I thought that the place was, if not gun-friendly, at least not gun-hating. Or ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ohio-CCL holder arrested in Sandusky....

Distinguished Member Array lacrosse50's Avatar
    Well, this stinks. I'm getting ready to move to Ohio and I thought that the place was, if not gun-friendly, at least not gun-hating. Or is this just an isolated incident? I've never carried (the Air Force only lets you carry if your a cop, or if you are down-range) but I plan on starting once I get out this July. In short, I have no personal experience to judge this against.

And QKShooter, didn't Ohio just pass a new/updated law? How is it all screwed up? Send a PM my way if you want, so I don't drag this thread to off-topic.
    The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools.
    -Herbert Spencer

NRA Life Member

It's called Concealed Carry not Invisible Carry!! Just give the guy a warning.

This is why all states need to have open carry in their laws.
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

I agree, a warning is appropriate in this situation.
    Unfortunately it falls under the heading of "Common Sense."
    Bureaucracy of any kind tends to frown on "Common Sense."
    "Deine Papieren bitte?" or "ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ !"
    (Choose only one)
    NRA Endowment Member
    "I bark at no man's bid. I will never come and go, and fetch and carry, at the whistle of the great man in the White House no matter who he is." -- David Crockett

Open carry is legal in Ohio. LEO's will sometimes hassle you about it, but I've never had them arrest me or anyone else I know for it. I know Cleveland and surrounding areas are not as gun friendly as other areas of Ohio. If by dashboard console they are talking about the glove compartment, it must be locked. If it was unlocked, then he broke the law, and the charge may be valid. I don't agree with it, what difference does it really make if it's locked or not, but it's the law.
    Here is a link to the Ohio AG CCW law's booklet in .pdf format.

http://www.ag.state.oh.us/le/prevent...et20070314.pdf

Motor vehicle carry laws start at the bottom of page 17.

Quote Originally Posted by lacrosse50 View Post
    ... I thought that the place was, if not gun-friendly, at least not gun-hating. Or is this just an isolated incident?
    It's absolutely not an isolated incident. For awhile, a steady flood of such situations has occurred. The police are hyper-aggressive on calls by people reporting someone carrying a gun. The recent change was pushed hard by the legislature to repeal some of the most-abhorrent aspects of "carry in open sight" rules when in a vehicle. Citizens seem hyper-fearful of people with guns. And the large number of folks attempting to navigate the line with concealed carry are often being shoved hard, when confronted. From the outside looking in, it certainly appears to be a battleground for the right to carry.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by lacrosse50 View Post
    Well, this stinks. I'm getting ready to move to Ohio and I thought...
    Its really not that bad in Ohio. We are going through some growing pains right now, but 90% of the areas are OK. The "northcoast" areas are still messed up democrap areas. What part of Ohio are you heading too? There are pockets of good in the north...
    "Just blame Sixto"

Distinguished Member Array Doc Holliday's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Its really not that bad in Ohio. We are going through some growing pains right now, but 90% of the areas are OK. The "northcoast" areas are still messed up democrap areas. What part of Ohio are you heading too? There are pockets of good in the north...
    Sixto, would you consider Medina a gun friendly place? I think that is where we plan to live when we move to Ohio in a few years.
    Why Ike, whatever do you mean? Maybe poker's just not your game Ike. I know! Let's have a spelling contest!

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Holliday View Post
    Sixto, would you consider Medina a gun friendly place? I think that is where we plan to live when we move to Ohio in a few years.
    Yeah, I'd say so. I grew up there as I mentioned before and still have tons of friends there. I have never had a problem both in the city and surrounding townships. I do know a handful of LEO's that both work for the City and townships, all are very gun friendly.
    "Just blame Sixto"

It's also unfortunate that the word "discretion" was never taught to the police officers in this case. I'm quite sure a warning would have been a much more valid "discretionary response" to an arrest in this case.
    Firefighter/EMT
    "You've never lived until you've almost died. For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected will never know" - T.R.

<----My LT was unhappy that I did not have my PASS-Tag at that fire. But I found the body so he said he would overlook it. :)

Most of Ohio is rather gun friendly, especially the more rural areas. The citites tend to have the most problems, with Columbus and Cleveland probably at the top. There is open carry in Ohio, although it is usually discouraged and will probably get you some unwanted police attention. The carry laws aren't that bad, but as SIXTO said, we are still having growing pains and straightening the whole system out.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Distinguished Member Array AKsrule's Avatar
    Sounds like he was Legal when the Cops Arrived.

http://www.ag.state.oh.us/le/prevent...et20070314.pdf

--------------------
    Transporting in Motor Vehicles
    The transportation of loaded, concealed handguns in motor vehicles is
    permitted, but strict obligations are imposed by the law to protect you
    and law enforcement. These obligations apply to drivers and occupants.
    These obligations do not apply if you are not transporting a loaded,
    concealed handgun inside the vehicle.
    You may not have a loaded handgun in the vehicle if you are under the
    influence of drugs or alcohol. You may not transport a loaded, concealed
    handgun in a vehicle unless it is carried in one of the following ways:
    The loaded handgun is in a holster secured on the person. Ohio law
    previously required carrying firearms in holsters in plain sight. The
    “plain sight” provision has been removed from the law.

The loaded handgun is in a closed case, bag, box, or other container
    that is in plain sight and that has a lid, a cover, or a closing mechanism
    with a zipper, snap, or buckle, which lid, cover, or closing mechanism
    must be opened for a person to gain access to the handgun, or
    The loaded handgun is securely encased by being stored in a closed,
    locked glove compartment or in a case that is locked.
    ---------------------
    -------
    -SIG , it's What's for Dinner-

know your rights!
    http://www.handgunlaw.us

"If I walk in the woods, I feel much more comfortable carrying a gun. What if you meet a bear in the woods that's going to attack you? You shoot it."
    {Bernhard Goetz}

Quote Originally Posted by luvmy40 View Post
    Doc,
    Where did you see this? Is there anything else said?
    I'm not familiar with Perkins TWP, but Ohio is an open carry state since 2003. However local munis can override the open carry law. They cannot override licensed CCW (April 14, 2007) You cannot open carry in a vehicle and the CCW holders must have weapon secured in holster concealed on their body, locked in the glove box, or storage container,latched in a storage case in plain site.
    In the dash console may or may not mean closed and locked in the glove box. Picking nits, I know, but the game must be played.
    What?

We've had open carry since '03?, munis can override open carry law?, you can't open carry in a vehicle?, April 14 2007?,

Where did you get this information? I know of none this and I've been on the Ohio CCW scene since 1991. Our law was passed in 2004. Please clarify.

Also, the weather sucks here in Ohio but our CCW law is not THAT bad. Please don't rely on the "Sandusky Register" for the facts in this case. Sandusky is a tiny town, especially in the winter, and they are not known for having Columbia Journalism majors on the local newspaper. I bet that newspaper may be 8 pages long.

You can pretty much be charged with being ugly. Let's wait to see what the prosecutor does and what this guys defense attorney comes up with.

There is no law here against your weapon printing like in some states.

You can carry in your pocket w/o a holster all you want outside your vehicle.

If the guys glove box was not locked the charge may stick.

http://ohioccwforums.org/viewtopic.php?t=9732

Distinguished Member Array lacrosse50's Avatar
    SIXTO, we will be moving to the Cincinnati area. I don't care much for cities, so I would like to live in the 'burbs at the very least, further out if feasible. But I'm a Network Admin, so chances are I'll be working for a company located within the city limits, which probably means we will end up in the suburbs.

I expect the city to be more liberal, but how would you rate Cincinnati?
    The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools.
    -Herbert Spencer

NRA Life Member

Administrator
    The city itself is rather liberal, but the area on a whole is very conservative. Cincinnati is known for its conservative values.
    The most gun friendly areas are the northern/eastern suburbs, Butler, Warren and Clermont counties. All are an easy drive into the city.
    Or, you can always go to northern KY, they are very gun friendly, and you can buy a whole lot more house for your money too.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links