Defensive Carry banner

Ohio-CCL holder arrested in Sandusky....

8K views 50 replies 40 participants last post by  Miggy 
#1 ·
Ohio, what is going on? It sounds like this man was legal although he probably should have carried in a better manner.

Gun toter charged despite license
Monday April 02 2007, 6:54am

PERKINS TWP.

A Sandusky man was charged with improper handling of a firearm even though he had a license to carry it.

Larry F. Fearing, 54, was charged with improper handling of a concealed weapon for the incident at an area gas station.

He was there to pick up his wife from work.

He was reportedly seen carrying his hand gun in his front pants pocket, even though he said he was trying to keep it out of sight.

When Perkins police arrived, they ordered Fearing and his passenger out of their vehicle, asking him to back up and drop to his knees before they handcuffed him, according to reports.

Fearing's gun was found in the his car's dashboard console. It was loaded with the safety on, police said.

See less See more
#7 ·
It Was LOADED?

It was really loaded?...hard to believe...
Who carries a LOADED gun?
{sarcasam off}

I may just have to by pass Ohio this summer...I thought that the 'plain sight' fix would make things better...doesn't sound like it...

ret:urla9ub:

#8 ·
If your state doesn't allow open carry then you had better make sure that the gun is at least reasonably well concealed. Sounds like he didn't.
Jeez. Where does it end, though? If a fearful person sees "printing" of a gun, the carrier can be arrested and charged? If the butt's hanging out of the pocket, or the shirt/jacket has ridden up over the holster, showing a bit of holster or gun ... What a crock. That hardly makes a criminal, though Ohio's legislators and LEO's seem to think it does.

#9 · (Edited)
Doc,
Where did you see this? Is there anything else said?
I'm not familiar with Perkins TWP, but Ohio is an open carry state (Ohio supreme court ruling Sept. 2003). However local munis can override the open carry law. They cannot override licensed CCW (April 14, 2007) You cannot carry in a vehicle w/out a CCW permit and the CCW holders must have weapon secured in holster on their body, locked in the glove box, or storage container,latched in a storage case in plain site.
In the dash console may or may not mean closed and locked in the glove box. Picking nits, I know, but the game must be played.

Here is the source of some of this info.
http://www.ohioccw.org/index.php?option=com_kb&Itemid=57&page=viewcat&catid=29

#13 ·
Doc,
Where did you see this? Is there anything else said?
I'm not familiar with Perkins TWP, but Ohio is an open carry state since 2003. However local munis can override the open carry law. They cannot override licensed CCW (April 14, 2007) You cannot open carry in a vehicle and the CCW holders must have weapon secured in holster concealed on their body, locked in the glove box, or storage container,latched in a storage case in plain site.
In the dash console may or may not mean closed and locked in the glove box. Picking nits, I know, but the game must be played.
Here is the link to the story.
http://www.sanduskyregister.com/art.../cop_and_courts/doc4610dc1d26f1f326072059.txt

There are some reader comments at the bottom of the page.

#12 ·
more of the reason we need to get rid of the feel good politicians... i know here in pa i had my jacket blow open when i got out of my truck at the oxfordvally mall one day and a state cop saw it he came over asked me what i was carrying i told him a Wilson combat CQB. he said nice and left.... even if this guy had it in his pocket it was concealed it printed but could have been anything.... sounds like this cop like most cops just had a hard on for people who carry..:confused:

#14 ·
Hmm, there has to be more to the story.

I will say that the Sandusky area could be a really neat place, but it is largely a hole with people running the government that also qualify as a hole.

#15 · (Edited)
Let me delete my own original post here.
Ohio is so screwed up right now with their carry laws I'm not even going to bother commenting. If they don't know what they're doing then how am I supposed to know what they're doing?

#16 ·
Well, this stinks. I'm getting ready to move to Ohio and I thought that the place was, if not gun-friendly, at least not gun-hating. Or is this just an isolated incident? I've never carried (the Air Force only lets you carry if your a cop, or if you are down-range) but I plan on starting once I get out this July. In short, I have no personal experience to judge this against.

And QKShooter, didn't Ohio just pass a new/updated law? How is it all screwed up? Send a PM my way if you want, so I don't drag this thread to off-topic.

#21 ·
... I thought that the place was, if not gun-friendly, at least not gun-hating. Or is this just an isolated incident?
It's absolutely not an isolated incident. For awhile, a steady flood of such situations has occurred. The police are hyper-aggressive on calls by people reporting someone carrying a gun. The recent change was pushed hard by the legislature to repeal some of the most-abhorrent aspects of "carry in open sight" rules when in a vehicle. Citizens seem hyper-fearful of people with guns. And the large number of folks attempting to navigate the line with concealed carry are often being shoved hard, when confronted. From the outside looking in, it certainly appears to be a battleground for the right to carry.

#19 ·
I agree, a warning is appropriate in this situation.
Unfortunately it falls under the heading of "Common Sense."
Bureaucracy of any kind tends to frown on "Common Sense."

#20 ·
Open carry is legal in Ohio. LEO's will sometimes hassle you about it, but I've never had them arrest me or anyone else I know for it. I know Cleveland and surrounding areas are not as gun friendly as other areas of Ohio. If by dashboard console they are talking about the glove compartment, it must be locked. If it was unlocked, then he broke the law, and the charge may be valid. I don't agree with it, what difference does it really make if it's locked or not, but it's the law.
Here is a link to the Ohio AG CCW law's booklet in .pdf format.

http://www.ag.state.oh.us/le/prevention/pubs/cc_booklet20070314.pdf

Motor vehicle carry laws start at the bottom of page 17.

#25 ·
It's also unfortunate that the word "discretion" was never taught to the police officers in this case. I'm quite sure a warning would have been a much more valid "discretionary response" to an arrest in this case. :buttkick:

#26 ·
Most of Ohio is rather gun friendly, especially the more rural areas. The citites tend to have the most problems, with Columbus and Cleveland probably at the top. There is open carry in Ohio, although it is usually discouraged and will probably get you some unwanted police attention. The carry laws aren't that bad, but as SIXTO said, we are still having growing pains and straightening the whole system out.

#27 ·
Sounds like he was Legal when the Cops Arrived.

http://www.ag.state.oh.us/le/prevention/pubs/cc_booklet20070314.pdf

--------------------
Transporting in Motor Vehicles
The transportation of loaded, concealed handguns in motor vehicles is
permitted, but strict obligations are imposed by the law to protect you
and law enforcement. These obligations apply to drivers and occupants.
These obligations do not apply if you are not transporting a loaded,
concealed handgun inside the vehicle.
You may not have a loaded handgun in the vehicle if you are under the
influence of drugs or alcohol. You may not transport a loaded, concealed
handgun in a vehicle unless it is carried in one of the following ways:
The loaded handgun is in a holster secured on the person. Ohio law
previously required carrying firearms in holsters in plain sight. The
“plain sight” provision has been removed from the law.

The loaded handgun is in a closed case, bag, box, or other container
that is in plain sight and that has a lid, a cover, or a closing mechanism
with a zipper, snap, or buckle, which lid, cover, or closing mechanism
must be opened for a person to gain access to the handgun, or
The loaded handgun is securely encased by being stored in a closed,
locked glove compartment or in a case that is locked.
---------------------

#29 ·
SIXTO, we will be moving to the Cincinnati area. I don't care much for cities, so I would like to live in the 'burbs at the very least, further out if feasible. But I'm a Network Admin, so chances are I'll be working for a company located within the city limits, which probably means we will end up in the suburbs.

I expect the city to be more liberal, but how would you rate Cincinnati?

#30 ·
The city itself is rather liberal, but the area on a whole is very conservative. Cincinnati is known for its conservative values.
The most gun friendly areas are the northern/eastern suburbs, Butler, Warren and Clermont counties. All are an easy drive into the city.
Or, you can always go to northern KY, they are very gun friendly, and you can buy a whole lot more house for your money too.

#32 ·
Well, others have covered this pretty well. There must have been more to the story or the police were hyper-sensative as I don't see what the guy did from what little told. If he was carrying in a pocket sans holster maybe some kind of safety violation but I don't know about that.

Ohio in general is split half red, half blue (does that make us purple?) with the divide mainly between city/rural peoples. Things have actually gotten a little better with the changes that went into effect last month and hopefully we will be able to make more improvements as time goes on. My one instance with a OHP was good.

#33 ·
It's the Perkins cops. I used to spend alot of time in Sandusky. The Perkins PD has always kind of tough. I do have to say when somebody says "man with a gun," I understand the police taking control of the situation. They don't know, but when it's all sorted out and the "man with a gun" is exonerated, the caller should be cited for exciting panic. Yeh, right. That'll never happen.

Mike

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.