A Citizens' Army in New Orleans

This is a discussion on A Citizens' Army in New Orleans within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Who would have thought owning a gun would help you protect yourself. Sorry, sarcasm off. This is the story on CNN "When I walk my ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Distinguished Member Array 4my sons's Avatar

Who would have thought owning a gun would help you protect yourself.

Sorry, sarcasm off.

This is the story on CNN

"When I walk my dog, I have a 20-dollar bill in one pocket and mace in the other," says Pedro, referring to "mugger money" she carries to hand over in hopes that an assailant will beat a quick retreat, and spray in case things turn uglier. "I've taken that initiative, but I think I need to go further," she says, citing a string of assaults in her quiet neighborhood near the French Quarter. "I would like to have a visible gun on my hip."
    I wouldn't call her a sheep, she was taking steps to preotect herself, but this sounds like a good "leap" in the right direction.
    "fundamental principle of American law that a government and its agents are under no general duty to provide public services, such as police protection, to any individual citizen." [Warren v. District of Columbia,(D.C. Ct. of Ap., 1981)]
    If I have to explain it, you wouldn't understand

Senior Moderator
    Livaccari points out that, in a holdup, a gun-waving victim is more likely to end up shot than one who simply hands over money — though his message isn't helped by incidents like one last October in which a would-be victim shot and killed a man he told police was trying to rob him and a female companion at gunpoint near the French Quarter. Then there's the possibility that a gun will be stolen and used in other crimes. But as long as the sense of being under siege persists, such concerns aren't likely to dampen sales of guns, pepper spray, guard dogs and other weapons in New Orleans.
    Why is it that some goverments seem more concerned about lawfully armed citizens than about illegally armed felons?

It is sad when a goverment does not trust its citizens....I am afraid that this is the direction we are all heading
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Just to add to your original thought. In our local paper today is an article about NRA Executive VP LaPierre meeting with our US Senator and one of our US Representatives touting a new law that prohibits government seizure of firearms during disasters. Trying to prevent another "New Orleans" style fiasco during Katrina. Our Government did a wonderful job of disarming the HONEST citizens. Conveniently left the thugs well armed. Bobby Jindal, our U.S. Rep. is running for Governor this next election, he is pro gun and pro God (Christian), what more could you ask for???/
    D

Quote Originally Posted by pgrass101 View Post
    Why is it that some goverments seem more concerned about lawfully armed citizens than about illegally armed felons?
    Banger unrest is disruptive and (by nature and definition) hard to control. It is much easier to recognize that you will have some muggings, prostitution, etc., etc., and keep average citizens complacent and paying their taxes, than having a gang driven from its neighborhood (by citizens) and starting a war with another gang. Real-polotik.

"Law controls the law-abiding....."

Distinguished Member Array Doc Holliday's Avatar
    She may carry a $20 bill, but I carry more than $20 in ammo!
    Why Ike, whatever do you mean? Maybe poker's just not your game Ike. I know! Let's have a spelling contest!

Distinguished Member Array SixBravo's Avatar
    Well said, Doc Holiday.

I'm not exactly sure why she intends to lose the money. Throw it on the ground and when they bend down for it, Mace the SOB and kick 'im in the face until he goes down... then run down the street yelling "Fire!" after you get your money back. She worked for that money. Why should she have to turn it over to some thug who doesn't want to work?
    The Gunsite Blog
    ITFT / Quick Kill Review
    "It is enough to note, as we have observed, that the American people have considered the handgun to be the quintessential self-defense weapon." - Justice Scalia, SCOTUS - DC v Heller - 26 JUN 2008

Too bad some people believe those that carrying a gun in NOLA are over reacting.
    http://www.wdsu.com/video/11385336/index.html?taf=no

Former Gun control activist buying a gun.
    http://www.wwltv.com/sharedcontent/V...p?vidId=133122
    Take the time to watch both please.

Pet Peeve time again - Sorry

Livaccari points out that, in a holdup, a gun-waving victim is more likely to end up shot than one who simply hands over money —
    Why would they be a "gun-waving victim"? Why not a "gun-carrying victim" or "legally-armed citizen" or perhaps "person that is trying not to be a victim". Again, this just shows that the general thinking throughout the population is that those of us that choose to arm ourselves, will, at the first sign of distress, start running around shooting anything that moves. I call HORSE PUCKEY! I for one TRAIN with my tools. I promise I will not be "waving" my gun at ANYTHING. I will draw, aim, and fire if need be, but can assure you, there will be no "waving".

I think I'm going to start a campaign to start calling ALL journalists "ink-slinging yahoos". They seem to paint with such broad brush why can't I do that same? I would LOVE to have this conversation.
    Me: "OH? So you scribble for the Daily Blah?"
    Them: "No, I WRITE for the Daily Blah. I don't SCRIBBLE"
    Me: "But in the movies journalists always look like they are scribbling"
    Them: "That's the movies, not real life"
    Me: "Exactly."

-Argh

Distinguished Member Array 4my sons's Avatar
    "ink-slinging yahoos".
    OMG

I'm going to have to remember that one.
    "fundamental principle of American law that a government and its agents are under no general duty to provide public services, such as police protection, to any individual citizen." [Warren v. District of Columbia,(D.C. Ct. of Ap., 1981)]
    If I have to explain it, you wouldn't understand

Senior Moderator
    Carrying a 20 dollar bill to give a thug around here would get you in trouble for "baiting".
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

A girl I know just went to New Orleans a few weeks ago. I told her she should bring a gun/mace/etc or not go at all. She was thrown to the ground and robbed in front of lots of people who did nothing. That was in the French Quarter, packed full of people. By the time she got home she was bruised and bloody.

I'm sure the Sherriff is correct. Many of those officers trying to sell hot goods probably do want to leave the area- someone might actually take it personally! Lot's of my family down Shreveport/SE Texas way.

"Gun-waving victim", isn't that an oxymoron? If I've got a gun, I don't intend to become a victim.
    - Kurt
    “Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it.” ~Pericles of Athens
    Primary Carry - Colt Commander .45 in a Brommeland Max-Con V

VIP Member
    Carrying a $20 bill for the BGs is not a bad idea. If they leave you alone and go away, those would be the best $20 you can invest. It also sets the precedent that you tried to de-escalate the incident. If the BG has the bad sense on ask for more and getting stupid.......
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

Quote Originally Posted by pgrass101 View Post

It is sad when a goverment does not trust its citizens....I am afraid that this is the direction we are all heading
    It's not that the Gov. doesn't trust it's citizens, it's that they have more control over the average citizen. Control is everything to the Government. They don't have any control over BG's.
    LIFES JOURNEY IS NOT TO ARRIVE AT THE "GRAVE" SAFELY ,IN A WELL PRESERVED BODY.BUT RATHER TO SKID IN SIDEWAYS TOTALLY WORN OUT SHOUTING "HOLY S@#$...WHAT A RIDE"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links