Another question about being stopped by police

This is a discussion on Another question about being stopped by police within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have searched and have not found an answer to this particular question. If I have missed, I am sorry for posting again. You have ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Another question about being stopped by police

I have searched and have not found an answer to this particular question. If I have missed, I am sorry for posting again.

You have a CCW and are carrying at the time that you are stopped, for whatever reason. Everything I have read states that you should roll down the window, turn on the dome light and be ready with your DL, insurance, registration, etc. with both hands visible on steering wheel. This is where I have a problem. I carry my DL in my wallet in my rear pocket. I feel that I should NOT be taking my seat belt off and retrieving my DL (before/after rolling down window, turning on dome light, etc.) before the police officer is at my side. All of that movement in my car, to me, would just make the officer nervous.

Would it not be better to just pull over, roll down the window, turn on the dome light and place your hands in sight on the steering wheel and wait for the officer? As he approached and greeted you, I would then state that for my safety and as a courtesy to him/her, that I am armed and have a license to be armed, how would they like for me to proceed. In running this through my mind and reading various forums, it is never clear what to do initially. Maybe it is just me, but I hope that there are some LEO individuals that could respond and/or guide me and others as to what is the right way to proceed when first pulled over.
    Ralph
    NRA Life Member
    "Don't ever confuse being familiar with being safe."

Administrator
    Getting your wallet out of your pants pocket and unbuckling your seat belt is normal movement, it would not alarm me at all.

I think you guys are looking to deep into this.
    "Just blame Sixto"

That's why I carry my drivers license and permit in a ID holder in my front pocket.

I can pull it out without a hassle and have my documents ready and my hands on the wheel when the officer approaches.
    fortiter in re, suaviter in modo (resolutely in action, gently in manner).

Dome light on hands on in plain sight on the steering wheel is a good idea. Any thing you can do to put the officer at ease will help the situation. Shut off the engine, place the keys in plain sight on the dash that is if you can still operate the power windows, turn on the 4 ways, they usually do not like the window rolled down until they show up, that is unless you have that dark tint on them, they like to see what is going on before they get there. Do not retrieve your information until asked, then explain where and what you are going to do before you do it. If you have your gun in the vehicle this varies by state but you must relate this as soon as the officer arrives, let him decide if he wants to have it under his control, usually they just let you keep it.
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century

Wow. That’s a new one on me. I thought I remembered that the brochures given out by Fairfax County when you picked up your permit said you should have your license, permit and registration in your hands (which are now on the steering wheel) when the officer approaches.

Of course, I have been having more senior moments every year so I could quite possibly have remembered incorrectly.

What do the officers on this forum say? Have your ID out or wait until asked?
    fortiter in re, suaviter in modo (resolutely in action, gently in manner).

Gun or No Gun...

What's the difference? I don't think that I would act any differently with or without my weapon. I'm polite and friendly, but I'm not a peasant either. I would simply say something along these lines..."Good morning officer, you would probably like to know that I am legally armed." (Period!)
    I'm not asking for permission to breathe heavily, I'm not asking what to do next...
    The officer has all the information he needs to proceed. Again, I'm friendly, polite, and will wait for him/her to react...

During the few times that I've informed a LEO about a weapon (never a traffic problem), I beilive that my cooperative, friendly attitude helps to let the officer know that I am no threat, but neither am I asking for instructions on 'how to proceed'...I'll react as I'm directed...he or she is just doing a job, and I intend to make that go as easy as possible.

OMO

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

After seeing the other thread on this topic, now this one, I think we may be overthinking this whole thing...good grief folks, we're the good guys!

Just be yourself and act naturally, we are dealing with friends, not the Gestapo.
    "It's a big gun when I carry it, it is also a big gun when I take it out” – Clint Smith

VIP Member
    OH NO!!!! Not another "stop by the police thread". !!!!!!!! Kill it before it grows............

Before I inform about a weapon I will preface it with the words, "For your safety and mine I want to inform you that I am legally armed."

You want to stay away from certain KEY WORDS and gun most certainly is one of them.

I don't tell that I'm armed too often, and I'm LEO again.

Biker

Distinguished Member Array fed_wif_a_sig's Avatar
    Biker Rn and others have given solid advice. A simple reach for your back pocket never set my alarms going. Now alot of movement did. If you feel that you might cause suspiscion one of the ways I had a CCL holder use on my was to (as you said) lights on, windows down (very important if you have tinted windows), 4ways on, engine off and his insurance in his hands. He then informed me that he had a license but that he was carrying a weapon and his drivers license and CCL were in his back pocket next to his weapon. His stop needless to say was very short and after we talked about guns for about 5 min he was on his way. Heck its the same procedure that I use when stopped.
    Steve
    "Respect all ... Fear none!!!

Distinguished Member Array Squawker's Avatar
    I agree with you. If I had my info in my rear pocket near my weapon, I would wait for the officer's instruction. I carry mine in a separate wallet in my front pocket. I keep it there, along with my credit cards. I figure that If someone picks my pocket, they'll get whatever cash I have. But, the things that can cause me the most problems, such as my OL, credit cards, etc, will remain in my pocket. I just feel safer that way, and I have the added advantage of being able to reach my OL and insurance without going to my back pocket.

Senior Member Array Timmy Jimmy's Avatar

What he said

Quote Originally Posted by robere View Post
    OH NO!!!! Not another "stop by the police thread". !!!!!!!! Kill it before it grows............
    The other one is not even dead yet!
    Last edited by Timmy Jimmy; April 7th, 2007 at 12:32 AM.
    Timmy Jimmy

If it is not in the US Constitution then the Federal Government should not be doing it.

"Carrying a gun is a social responsibility."

Then again, if we obey the speed limits and traffic control devices this wont be an issue will it?

Distinguished Member Array Doc Holliday's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mcp1810 View Post
    Then again, if we obey the speed limits and traffic control devices this wont be an issue will it?
    Not necessarily. I have been through about 5 or 6 (2 within the last year)police road blocks in the last few years. These seemed to be about checking your papers.
    Last edited by Doc Holliday; April 7th, 2007 at 01:57 AM.
    Why Ike, whatever do you mean? Maybe poker's just not your game Ike. I know! Let's have a spelling contest!

p85

I agree

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Holliday View Post
    Not necessarily. I have been through about 5 or 6 (2 within the last year)police road blocks in the last few years. These seemed to be about checking your papers.
    At my age, I pretty much have all the car racing, faulty equipment, etc. issues behind me. It has been years since I have been stopped for a traffic violation. But, it is not uncommon, especially this time of the year, to get stopped in a routine traffic checkpoint. My point is if I am driving along, minding my own business and have to stop for a traffic check, the officer (although doing his job) should react to me differently than if he/she had stopped me for a traffic violation. I am not guilty of anything and should be treated as such. I will extend all the courtesy that I would when greeting anyone and expect the same. If by chance, I get stopped for a violation, then I would expect the officer to to handle the situation slightly differently. Sure, run my tags and DL, I expect no less. Write me the ticket, again I expect no less. Treat me with the respect that you expect to receive, again I expect no less. If by chance, you stop me after a high speed chase, looking like I am fleeing the scene of a CRIME, I fully expect to be "thrown to the ground and be handcuffed".
    Enough ranting from me on this subject. I am one of the good guys.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links