Value of this Forum

Value of this Forum

This is a discussion on Value of this Forum within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I’m not sure where this thread should go but since this is the area where the “Leo Encounters” were posted, I figured I should put ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Value of this Forum

Value of this Forum

I’m not sure where this thread should go but since this is the area where the “Leo Encounters” were posted, I figured I should put it here.

Before anyone groans about another Leo encounter thread, I am not trying to rehash the arguments or change anyone’s mind about things. If you’re the least bit interested in reading this, you’ll find out why I am posting. If you don’t want to read this, I guess you won’t really miss much.

I am a CPA. This time of year, I put in a lot of hours so I’m a little tired.

Funny thing is that during this time, my main form of relaxing when I get the chance to take a break is to come to this forum. With my workload, I should stay away for another couple of weeks but have found CC.com to be rather addictive.

So, because I’m a little strung out, I have a tendency to “pop off” sometimes. That doesn’t really bother me on this forum because we are gun guys and gals. That means we are opinionated. That’s a good thing. If you are going to carry a gun, you should be decisive and not wishy washy.

OK. Enough background.

In other threads about whether to tell a LEO you have a gun or not, I expressed outrage that a LEO felt the right to point a gun at me.

Last night I got home at about 10pm very tired and cranky and started pontificating about the threads with my wife. She is not only my wife, she is my lover, best friend, soul mate and sounding board. If you guys make a point, I may ignore it but I really listen to my wife. Go figure.

After venting for a while, I knew I was in trouble because my wife just sat there with a small smile on her face.

Here is the gist of the conversation:

Wife: So you are ticked off to think that the cop would get concerned enough to pull his gun if he was surprised by seeing your gun?

Me: Yeah. If he’s that afraid of the people he stops, maybe he should get another job.

Wife: When you are working at the office very late, what do you do when walking between the office and the car?

Me: (some unintelligible mumbling).

Wife: You sometimes have your hand in your pocket with a shooters grip on your 357 magnum. Right?

Me: (stupid deer in the headlights look on my face) (DAMN!)

Wife: Any if someone would surprise you by stepping out of the dark very close to you?

Me: (mumble, mumble)

Wife: Maybe if you’re that afraid of people, you shouldn’t work so late. (followed with sweet smile and batting of eyes).

Me: (I’m not done yet). Yeah, but why should he have the right to be concerned that I might be a danger to him? I am just a law abiding citizen. I haven’t done anything wrong!

Wife: But you did. Every time you have been pulled over by a cop, why did he do it?

Me: (more unintelligible mumbling).

Wife: You figure the cop was just sitting on the side of the road thinking that he would pull over the next car that comes by? You were speeding! Isn’t that breaking the law?

(DAMN!)

Wife: Didn’t YOU cause the encounter in the first place? Doesn’t that put him on higher moral ground than you?

(DAMN)

Me: (still not done yet). Yeah, but what about those times I heard about where a guy told the LEO they had a gun only to end up looking down the barrel of the LEO’s gun?

Wife: I thought you believed that you should not prejudge people but judge them based on their actions.

(DAMN! DAMN!)

Me: Why were you smiling when I told you about the threads?

Wife: Because you were red in the face. You usually get the maddest when you are wrong.

(DAMN. Stick a fork in me, I’m done.)

Wife: So what are you going to do?

Me: I guess I’ll just make sure that I inform the LEO of my gun and quit worrying about whether I have to or not.

Wife: And?

Me: AND WHAT? (she is really ticking me off by this time)

Wife: Just let everything die down? Right? Kinda like a newspaper that prints a big headline article on page one but when they find out they were wrong, they put the retraction on page 26 in very small print?

Me: Don’t you have someplace else to be?

Wife: (another one of those innocent smiles as she turns to read the paper).

Now you know why I am posting this.

So . . . . . . after churning things around in my thick skull, I think I see some of the forest now instead of just trees.

My new current logic: If I inform the LEO that I have a permit and am armed
    (not hard to do; just takes a couple of seconds), I do a couple of things. First, I do what I can to put him at ease and second, I give him an opportunity to either be a stand up guy or a horses behind.

Either way he reacts, my conscience is clear that I did everything I could to keep the situation calm.

Sounds like a plan to me.

This is what I see as the strongest point of this forum. We can “discuss” things and even when things turn “lively”, if you argue a point, you are forced to think about it in order to come up with your argument.

On rare occassion, this process will cause a thought to penetrate hard bone and either greatly strengthen your argument or change it.

So. . . .let’s keep talking, and keep it civil. Knowledge is a good thing!
    fortiter in re, suaviter in modo (resolutely in action, gently in manner).

kpw
    Sounds like your wife is a pretty smart gal.
    I know what you mean about this forum. I pop in and out most days when I'm home. In between making dinner, doing laundry and other stuff, it keeps me from getting bored. Learn a lot, too. I'm a single dad so this is the only adult interaction I get when I'm home.

Hey, it is Saturday morning, I am working taxes right now, well at least I was till I started this post, why aren't you, lol.

These forums are a good way to give the brain a good drain though, I know what you mean.

It is nice that some folks are at least open minded enough to see the other side of arguments sometimes. That is not a bad thing at all. I believe that some of the posts along these lines came from folks that have had bad experiences with LEO's in the past and may have gotten projected on the entire LEO community. Whether it is about LEO's or any other group of people everyone should not be lumped together as we are all individuals.

Good Post.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Lead Moderator
    Thanks for the thought out response. Either way, it's your call to make. The best part of this forum to me is no flaming allowed. We all should be able to be gentlemen (and women) and still get our point across.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Senior Member Array BruceGibson's Avatar
    Well done! Great post...and my wife is smarter than I am so I felt a little deja vu.

Administrator
    I like your wife. Ask her to join up here on CC, I need some help with the police threads, as I am getting tired of repeating the same tired arguments.
    "Just blame Sixto"

It just goes to show you - behind EVERY successful man is a woman...usually kicking him in the butt! Just kidding. My wife makes me see the other side of things on a daily basis - while she's kicking me in the butt!

Being a cop for 18+ years, I've seen cops come and I've seen 'em go. I've seen good cops and bad. I've seen guys quit after 1 month on the job and I've seen 'em go on to be the next Chief of police. In all of that "seeing" and "watching" I've learned one thing...always treat people the way I would want to be treated. I always tell young cops fresh on the job, that if they try to whip everybody on the street, they are gonna be one sad, sorry SOB by the end of the day - they'll never last 20 years! And God forbid if they take it out on their wife! SHE WILL WALK AND LEAVE YOU! Sometimes they listen...sometimes they don't.

When I stop a car for an offense, not me but the driver of that car (or it's other occupants) decide how the "interview" is going to go. If he says "good evening officer...did I do something wrong?" I'll calmly and politely tell him why I stopped him.

What I'm trying to say is just out of common courtesy to the man behind the badge - it doesn't take a second to tell him you are packing, it doesn't take away your 2nd Ammendment rights nor does it even hurt your pride OR feelings! It's actually your duty to inform the officer. And yes, I know there are some real wearing a gun and badge out there. I work with some on a daily basis. I can't promise you that you won't encounter one of them someday. But we are not all that way!
    Last edited by Team American; April 7th, 2007 at 02:18 PM. Reason: language

Some times we get all wraped up in something and it takes the wives opinion to set it streight.

No matter what, you need to hang on to that women. Sometimes the smartest thing a guy can do is marry a women more intelligent than he is! I know I learn from the best, my wife isn't so bull headed, thick skulled, and stubborn as I am.
    "Gun Free Zones" is where only criminals carry guns.

Your wife and my wife sound like sisters. Heck, maybe twins.

I have had much the same type of debate with my wife on any number of topics and 9 times out of 10 I usually end up agreeing that she is right. And that 10th time usually is just due to me being stubborn and not wanting to lose EVERY debate we have.

Hang on to her like I am hanging on to mine. She is the sanity in my life and the primary source of logic.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    FANTASTIC post . And for the record IMHO your bride is a " keeper " . I have a similar best friend myself and without her i would be lost. That aggervating lady you have is worth her weight in anything you would care to name lol .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Administrator
    Very nice thread you posted.
    Love the format too...like I was right there with you and the Mrs.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Quote Originally Posted by kpw View Post
    Sounds like your wife is a pretty smart gal.
    Yup, sounds like you found a keeper.

Distinguished Member Array Squawker's Avatar
    One of the toughest things for anyone to do is to realize that he's wrong. The forums are a great source of information, support, and the occasional confrontation. I enjoy reading these, and visit almost daily. But your wife is an incredible resource. It's really wonderful when you have someone who can read you, and show you when you're off course. Congratulations on having such a woman.

Senior Member Array Timmy Jimmy's Avatar
    Don't you just hate it when they (the loves of our lives) are so calm and logical and make us feel dumb because we know they are right.

Isn't it great that they can do that?

I love my wife!!!
    Timmy Jimmy

If it is not in the US Constitution then the Federal Government should not be doing it.

"Carrying a gun is a social responsibility."

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links