Weapon Securing for a Fire Response.

This is a discussion on Weapon Securing for a Fire Response. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am a volunteer firefighter and the way departments in my area work we all carry pagers and go about our daily lives unless we ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Weapon Securing for a Fire Response.

me [OP]

Weapon Securing for a Fire Response.

I am a volunteer firefighter and the way departments in my area work we all carry pagers and go about our daily lives unless we get called to a fire. When we get called we respond to the station, get our gear on and crew an rig to the fire (It works for us).

So recently I have been thinking how is the best way to secure my pistol and for that matter othe things like keys and cell phone when I am responding to a call. Yesterday I sat down and discussed my idea with the chief of one of the stations I am with since I would rather secure it inside than in my car. Si here is what I came up with and he has approved, I am going to pick up a metal tool box and U bolt it to my metal racks that my equipment is stored on. I will leave a padlock on it and drop my pistol in there before putting my gear on.

I wanted to pass this idea on to you all. I am still looking to find a way to do this at my other station but the gear set up is different there and my gear is on a steel I-beam.
    Mark

"The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."

-James Earl Jones

2. Remove Ads

I am too lazy to look them up, but a number of companies make specialized 'lock boxes' for vehicle gun storage. Thay all operate on the same concept you're considering. A homemade box will work, but a professional job "might" work better.

My 2 cents...

-Paul
    Hero's aren't born, they're cornered - According to Jim

Senior Member Array Timmy Jimmy's Avatar
    Can't you carry to a fire? I was just reading the NewOrleans post and it seems that a fireman may need his/her weapon.
    Timmy Jimmy

If it is not in the US Constitution then the Federal Government should not be doing it.

"Carrying a gun is a social responsibility."

me [OP]
    Quote Originally Posted by Timmy Jimmy View Post
    Can't you carry to a fire? I was just reading the NewOrleans post and it seems that a fireman may need his/her weapon.
    This is never a good Idea as I do not like to have metal right next to me during the heat of the fire if some did get through my equipment. Also It is particuarly frowned apon by my dept. to carry to a call while you have your gear on. Chiefs directly responding do keep theres on their sides.
    Mark

"The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."

-James Earl Jones

me [OP]
    Quote Originally Posted by PaulBk View Post
    I am too lazy to look them up, but a number of companies make specialized 'lock boxes' for vehicle gun storage. Thay all operate on the same concept you're considering. A homemade box will work, but a professional job "might" work better.

My 2 cents...

-Paul
    All of those require so sort of key or open in a manor that would not work for my use. I am against a key for this use incase I dont have my keys with me.
    Mark

-James Earl Jones

RTK
    We had a small locker with a key located in the top part of each turn-out gear locker. We just left them empty with the key in them, if you needed to stow your weapon or wallet when you were leaving on a call you just tossed them in secured it and took the key with you. If for some reason someone lost their key, we had a master in dispatch that could open it.

As for carrying on a call with my department even law enforcement that are also fireman can not carry on the apparatus. I have the same problem as you. Unless you reponed in a high crime area where a vehicle break in is possible, why not secure the lock box in your vehicle. I don't know if I would be OK with securing in a box at the station. To many persons: visitors, juniors, persons who did not make the apparatus at the house when I'm not.. It's a uncontrolled area. I would think you may be held responsible if something happened. I'll take the lock box in my vehicle and no one knows anything. Regardless, don't forget to take your keys with you on the call. How many times are they just left on the floor in your boots. Good luck.
    Last edited by sportkcjc; April 7th, 2007 at 09:11 PM. Reason: spelling

Quote Originally Posted by Timmy Jimmy View Post
    Some of the areas that we frequent are still gun-free zones so we would need to secure our handguns. Although we work along side the LEO's we still must follow the limitations as the license states (at least in MI). Even though we work on the same side, firefighters sometimes don't have the same privledges.

http://www.center-of-mass.com/

this may fit you bill.
    'The assailant chooses the time, location and method of attack.

Since they are unlikely to let you know ahead of time when, where and how violent they're going to be, you should always be prepared.' - matiki

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by stoneypete View Post
    http://www.center-of-mass.com/

this may fit you bill.
    That safe is nice, too bad a n-frame won't go in it.

Center-Of-Mass Safes...

I have one in my car under the seat. It's hard for just anyone to find, and works well...I only use it for short periods of time.

One could also find a number of metal tool boxes that could also be attached to something in the trunk and serve the same purpose.

OMO

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Senior Member Array tanksoldier's Avatar
    I worked with a volunteer firefighter years ago who was also a reserve sheriff's deputy. The rules didn't allow him to carry his weapon when responding to incidents as a firefighter either.

He simply quit responding because of the stupid rules.
    "I am a Soldier. I fight where I am told, and I win where I fight." GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

PM
    When I ran as a Volunteer FF we all responded in private cars; so the one or two LEOs we had locked their weapon or whole duty belt in their trunk; there were enough of us who did the outside stuff we watched (kind of) all the cars on the scene. This was also before KS had CC so only LEOs carried. I personally would rather lock it in the my car and not in the station becasue no one is there while we are out o the call.

If you have a Harbor Freight check them out. They have smaller safe that you can bolt down, and it has an electronic lock. I use it to hold 4 handguns in the closet for fast access. If I am going on a trip I will lock them up in the big safe.

The one from HF will not keep a determined BG out, but will be good enough. http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=45891
    Aaron

If you don't protect your self, who will?

No guns in the station on-duty. Period. Get caught with a firearm in the station, or on any piece of apparatus for that matter while on a call or not, while on-duty and your done. The IAFF wont even save you if that happens. I have 2 days during the week when I can't carry and the those are the 2 days I'm working my 24s.
    Firefighter/EMT
    "You've never lived until you've almost died. For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected will never know" - T.R.

<----My LT was unhappy that I did not have my PASS-Tag at that fire. But I found the body so he said he would overlook it. :)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links