Defensive Carry banner

Someone saw my gun at the mall

8K views 62 replies 47 participants last post by  CommonCents 
#1 ·
I went to Belks to buy some new shirts. After trying on about a dozen of them in the dressing room with my IWB holster I put my button down back on but didn't button it in the front. So after I left the dressing room and was browsing around I noticed my gun was fully exposed and my shirt somehow got tucked in behind the gun, maybe when I bent over? An older lady was also walking by and must have seen it and me quickly conceal it, with an obvious "oops!" moment. I didn't care. Then the cashier looked at me making sure I wasn't a bad guy. Thank goodness no one was there who might have made a big deal out of it. Accidents happen.

#3 ·
Yeah I'm glad I checked. No one is going to notice checking to see if shirt tail is down. Makes me reconsider IWB. I'm not sure how the police would handle that around here. They write citations and arrest people and don't listen to excuses from anyone. Didn't really think about that.

#6 ·
There is no such thing as an accidental exposure of a firearm. It was negligence on your part, pure and simple. If the older lady had seen your carelessly-exposed firearm and suffered a fainting spell, or worse, you could have been held both criminally and civilly liable. There is absolutely no excuse for such carelessness and haphazard concealment on your part. Get the proper wardrobe and train, train, train until your concealment techniques become second nature. You own every exposure, print and other discovery of your firearm.

sarcasm off. No harm, no foul.

#12 ·
My dad was a cop withe LAPD for 10 years (late 40's-50's) so he has a national carry. He's 94, lives in Utah, and carries. His gun slipped out one day in the middle of Walmart. He just simply picked it up and re-holstered it. Nothing was said and he went about his business.....

#17 ·
Some places, that may get you a date or at least a phone number.

#21 ·
Yes signs carry force of law in SC but the sign has to be a certain size, about 16'' by 16'', and I think also red and black. Thanks for mentioning that though, I don't think anything was posted but going to be more careful. It must have rode up over the grip when I bent over. I was surprised it happened and good thing I always check with my hand to make sure the shirt is down. I also just tested my new 229 that fits great in a small fanny pack. Can hardly tell I'm wearing it and nice to have 13 rounds of .40. In some places that would be better option.

#19 ·
Glad yours turned out okay OP.

Once while picking up Chineese food, my P32 slips out of jacket pocket, lands on my foot then the floor. I pick it up and put it back in my pocket while cashier in Chinese accent saying "no-no-no-no-no"! (eyes closed)
I grab a $20 from my wallet, slap it on the counter and say, Family Beef & Broccoli. After the surprise wore off she took my money and made change. I sat there next to about four other people and talked local town talk. The police station was about five blocks away and the whole time it was on my mind, but I played it cool, what was I going to do run out.
Nobody said a thing, all four patrons waiting for their order nor the cashier, got my food 15 minutes later and left.

Btw, turns out the cashier is the owner, we get along great now and have had many great discussions...none involving this situation. Lol

No issue except...make dang sure your pocket is deep enough and will securely hold your firearm.

#29 ·
Good point, learn something every time. For me its not worth the risk to IWB in some places. I don't care if a pocket holster prints, and not the best option, but at least its fully concealed. Just sharing to be helpful, makes me look like a careless noob, but this was first time its ever happened to me in my house or anywhere and this was a really thick long Columbia button up. Glad I double checked with my hand to make sure it was fully down. Clothes I was carrying may have pulled it up. I always check when getting out of car, walking through any door, bend over, with a hand to make sure the shirt is still down. Not worth the risk in some places around here.

#31 ·
Not a big fan of IWB. I use pocket carry 95% and OWB 5%. Of course, carrying a full size duty weapon is not my goal for daily CCW.

Reactions: Islanders
#32 ·
Years ago a local police chief gave his wife his gun to put in her purse while he went into a dressing room. She briefly left her purse unattended, and it walked off with his gun. This was at a time when only law enforcement "professionals" were allowed the privilege of concealed carry. If this is your biggest "mistake" you're doing well.

#34 ·
Agree M.T. Yet we're inordinately fortunate! Here in the Bluegrass, where OC is fine & "no-gun signs" are toothless, that can't raise anything except a few liberal eyebrows. If reported (here in the "Boonies"), the LEO might giggle in their face. I often OC... in my teeth! (okay, that's a severe exaggeration to make my point.) :biggrin2:

#37 ·
Real men walk in grab a shirt, pay for it and leave. :rolleyes:

We only try it first at the car lot or the gun store.
Usually that's me, but I'm between a L and XL and each one is different. Some L are are bigger than some XL. No worries. Got $650 worth of clothes for $140 all the right size to conceal. May go back for more clearance winter stuff.

#40 ·
An older lady was also walking by and must have seen it
In Dixie, the proper action would have been to nod and say, "Ma'am" and continue about your business.

and me quickly conceal i
Adjusting your clothing for proper concealment is fine. Doing it "quickly" tends to alarm people. It makes it look like you're doing something wrong, or preparing to do something wrong. Well, depending on local law exposing the gun might be an infraction, but if you deal with it casually and confidently, most people will go along with the attitude you put forth.

#41 ·
It's amazing someone actually noticed. I got out of my truck and the seat belt must have caught my shirt and my Springfield XDs was exposed for the world to see. I was at Wally World and walked half the store before I realized. As far as I can tell, not a single person noticed.

So much for the general public and SA. But then again, so much for my SA for not noticing it either.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.