TN state laws for CCW

TN state laws for CCW

This is a discussion on TN state laws for CCW within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hello iam fairly new to this forum & i have a question iam sure anyone from tennesse can answer for me. We are thinking about ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: TN state laws for CCW

TN state laws for CCW

Hello iam fairly new to this forum & i have a question iam sure anyone from tennesse can answer for me. We are thinking about moving from MI to TN & as far as i know TN is a very gun friendly state right?? From a post i saw on here i gather that u can even open carry in TN (not that i would i think, i would rather get a drop on a BG) is this right?? One more, How hard would it be to have a MI CCW permit transfered to TN?? Also i would imagine just as in MI u cant carry in like schools, churches, bars, hospitals, etc..? Ok i guess that was 2 more....

You can openly carry, but you still must have a permit to do so. I guess that TN is not anti-gun but there are still some laws I would like to see go through...like carrying into a place that serves alcohol for on-site consumption. www.Handgunlaw.us should give you the up to date information on all the places you can't carry and info about reciprocity etc.

Oh and Schools, bar, hospitals are off limits but there are technicalities that www.handgunlaw.us should give you insight into.

Schools, government buildings, post office, package stores all off limits. You can carry in a church, or restaraunt; currently the state lawmakers are working to allow concealed carry in bars as long as armed person doesn't consume alchahol. Some time ago there was provisions that prevented having handgun in your vehicle on school property, but last year that was ammended. It is acceptable to carry as long as the handgun stays in the vehicle.

I dont know if TN has resiprosity with MI, you'll have to check- I have heard some bad stories about transferring from other states, but all in all I feel TN is gun friendly. I have some friends & clients who are L.E.O.s and all are positive about armed citizens. TN reminds me alot of TX in the mindset and attitude about guns.

Once all the checking is done, you'll find Michigan a little more gun friendly. You can open carry with a few cities restricting it. Your CPL is accepted in more states also.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

Its no more or less "gun friendly" than most other states. Tennessee issues a Handgun Carry Permit, not a CCW permit (you can carry concealed or openly legally.) Its a shall issue state, currently takes about 60 days for permit issuance.
    "Beware of the man who only owns one gun. He probably knows how to use it."

Quote Originally Posted by kylebce View Post
    Schools, government buildings, post office, package stores all off limits. You can carry in a church, or restaraunt; currently the state lawmakers are working to allow concealed carry in bars as long as armed person doesn't consume alchahol.
    If the restaurant sells alcohol for onsite consumption all your Chilis, Logans, AppleBees etc you can't carry there even if you don't visit the bar area or drink. If the law has changed then I missed it big time. What's a package store? Is that like a mailbox etc or are we talking about a liquor store?

You can NOT carry in a restaurant that serves alcohol. That law has not been changed yet. We are hoping for that to happen this year...maybe next. But it is still a no no.

I looked at the listing on Handgunlaw.us and there is nothing listed about not being allowed to carry in a hospital or a liquor store. The list may by less than complete but, it isn't there.

We have a meeting of the SHelby County TFA (Tennessee Firearms Association) on the 19th, I will check then if there is a complete list that I can get.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

What's a package store?
    Liquor store, no consumption on premises.

I would also like a difinitive answer to to the question of whether carrying in a liquor store is prohibitted in Tennessee. The liquor stores have a sign posted that says weapons are prohibitted where alcohol is "sold or served", not just served for consumption on the premises. According to the sign, the penalty is a fine and up to a year in jail (actually one day less than a year). I have searched extensively on the web and on the TN government sites and the only laws/regulations I found say that carrying is prohibitted where alcohol is served for consumption on the premises. I asked the store owner if the sign was out of date and she said she didn't know but the sign was provided by the state and had been there for a long time. I submitted the question to the Tennessee Firearms Association a month or two ago and never received an answer. Does anyone know the real answer? If "sold or served" is current law any place selling takeout beer would be off limits.

Here ya go.

If the liquor store has no onsite consumption then:
    • If its posted, you can't.
    • If its not posted you can.

If the liquor store has onsite consumption then ya can't.

Thanks for the answer but it doesn't address the real issue. The liquor stores that I am aware of do not sell alcohol for consumption on the premises but are posted as no carry zones. According to the store owner I talked to, the signs are required by the state which controls beer and liquor sales. The liquor stores are not posted at the discretion of the store owner. The question is the wording on the sign which says "sold or served". The exact same wording appears on signs in bars where we know carrying is prohibited. What Tennessee statute states that carrying in a liquor store is illegal even though alcohol is not sold for consumption on the premises?

"It is an offense for a person to possess a firearm within the confines of a building open to the public where liquor, wine or other alcoholic beverage, as defined in 573101(a)(1)(A),. or beer as defined in 576102(1) , are served for on premises consumption."

Straight outa the TCA.

I disagree, but you could be right. He could be right. I had a local LEO tell me all the state buildings in Tennessee are off limits to firearms. There is no legal verbage requirement in Tennessee. The store is posted so I would have to say the point is mute.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by INTJ View Post
    The store is posted so I would have to say the point is mute.
    I could be wrong, but it might still be allowed. The sign must comply with the specific wording in TCA, mustn't it?

Specific wording is not mandated.

"the notice shall be posted at all entrances to the premises that are primarily used by persons entering the property. The notice shall be in English but a notice may also be posted in any language used by patrons, customers or persons who frequent the place where weapon possession is prohibited. In addition to the sign, notice may also include the international circle and slash symbolizing the prohibition of the item within the circle. The sign shall be of a size that is plainly visible to the average person entering the building, premises or property and shall contain language substantially similar to the following:

Pursuant to 39171359 , the owner/operator of this property has banned weapons on this property, or within this building or this portion of this building. Failure to comply with this prohibition is punishable as a criminal act under state law and may subject the violator to a fine of not more than five dollars ($500).

I don't drink or support liquor store sales, so I have no reason to research the statues specifically referencing them and the regulating authorities. Maybe someone else can shed more light.
    Last edited by INTJ; April 12th, 2007 at 02:46 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links