Feeling old, what has changed since your first CCW? - Page 2

Feeling old, what has changed since your first CCW?

This is a discussion on Feeling old, what has changed since your first CCW? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; 5 years and some months. All of the above. And possibly all the posting afterwards. Personal notes: I came from a culture where law abading ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    VIP Member
    5 years and some months. All of the above. And possibly all the posting afterwards.

Personal notes: I came from a culture where law abading citiznes did not have guns. It was the moral thing. You were raised in the thought that guns help nothing, that self-defense was taking the law into your own hands and you are as bad, if not worse than the criminal himself.
    It took me moving to the US in the 80's to have those thoughts cracked. I returned to my country and I became an oddity at best and a monster at worst because I defied the conventional wisdom. I moved back to the USA for good because I was infected the first time with a virus called Freedom and I did not wanted to be cured.
    While my former countrymen live in fear behind tall walls topped with barbed wired, electrified fencing, bars in their windows and wondering if they are going to get killed tonite, I am typing this with a reloading station to my left, an FNP9 next to the mouse and an WASR 10 and a Mossy 835 two steps away. My wife is asleep right now with a S&W 65 next to her. And we are free.
    What has changed since I got my CCW? I became responsible for my own security. I became more forgiving to those who wrong me with silly things. I became more independant from the submissive thoughts ingrained in me when I was a kid by a culture that rewared "sheepness". I feel pride when my family goes out and they feel safe because they know I will do my earnest to protect them. I can fulfill the part of the Citizenship Oath where it says:
    ...that I will support and defend the Constitution and laws of the United States of America against all enemies, foreign and domestic.. because the tool to fulfill that oath is with me.

Sorry, I got too long.
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

Started w/revolvers about 20 years ago. Carried a 1911 for a few years,CAT 45 since then. Working on new set up f/snubb 44 now.
    In my early 40's now,never leave home w/out. More cautious/watchful now. Partly due to looking after family, some due to time as LEO. Having kids and working the streets changes ones perspective. The biggest change I see is the mindset. 20 years ago we thought about the event,now we think about the aftermath as much if not more.We used to focus on training and doing the right things,now we focus on the lawyers # on speed dial and how much insurance we have.

Quote Originally Posted by LBrombach View Post
    I've gone from: Cool, I get to carry a gun, to :Cool, I get to carry a gun for the 2nd day in a row. (just got my permit) I'll let you know how I feel tommorrow.
    me too
    2nd day was today

To those of you who are on your first couple of day's and weeks. Welcome. I agree with those that look back at the "dumb kid" way back when we first got the "permits". Society said I was a reliable, responsible person, but as I think back, I was also a dumb kid. Should I have had my permit back then? Legally yes, but my mind set and attitude was not what it is now. If I knew then what I know now.....
    "Gun Free Zones" is where only criminals carry guns.

I spent 2yrs working on my firearms skills, safety skills and knowledge of the law (California, which has more CCW potholes than you can shake a stick at). That 2yrs was also spent in deep consideration of the degree of responsibility I was about to take on. Not for myself, which I was convinced I could easily handle. But for the proverbial 3yr old child in the background. I simply refused to carry concealed if I couldn't hit a target inside of ~20ft with sufficient skill and consistency as to avoid someone across the street, behind the target. I attended several classes, each from a different instructor. I acquired the book In The Gravest Extreme, by M. Ayoob. Didn't apply for the license until I had solid, ingrained answers to all of the questions and only after my shooting/moving skills were sufficiently capable to avoid that "3yr old" in the background.

The only question in my mind was whether others would "mark" me as carrying. That concern was dispelled after the first week.

Been carrying since 1995. Still as responsible and well-considered 24x7. Just as it should be.
    Last edited by ccw9mm; April 9th, 2007 at 10:43 AM.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Carried 18 years as a cop.
    Carry now as a citizen.
    No difference in attitude.
    Peaceful, easygoing, don't hassle anyone, but three times the presence of a concealed handgun, in civilian attire off duty, kept me alive.
    Matter of fact it's the only reason I breathe air today.
    "Deine Papieren bitte?" or "ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ !"
    (Choose only one)
    NRA Endowment Member
    "I bark at no man's bid. I will never come and go, and fetch and carry, at the whistle of the great man in the White House no matter who he is." -- David Crockett

Lessons

My experience echos that of many of you.

Changes:
    1. Traded my J frame for a baby Glock.
    2. Learned to love kydex
    3. Evolved from shooting to practicing to training.
    4. Realized that any pistol will do as long as it is 100% reliable.
    5. Discovered that the belt is the single most important facet of comfort.

-Paul.
    Hero's aren't born, they're cornered - According to Jim

I've been carrying since 95 always as an LEO. I went from carrying small j frames, 60 and 640 to Glocks w/ spare mags.

For some reason 9/11 changed my outlook on carrying. I used to carry my j frames, 5 shots with no spare ammo in the summer and in the winter when I had a jacket I would throw a speed loader in my pocket, so I had 10 rounds total. And I was totally comfortable with that set up.

Now, since 9/11 I carry a G23, 27 or 30 and ALWAYS have a spare mag. Its not that I think that I will bring down terrorism because I carry more rounds now, but it just makes me feel better.

That is off duty ofcourse.

My duty weapons over the years have been:
    NYS Dept of Corrections: S&W M10 .38, two dump pouches. (when outside of prison on a transport.)
    NYPD: G19, two spare mags, S&W 640 BUG.
    MVPD: G17, two spare mags, S&W 640 BUG.
    Current Dept: G23, two spare mags, two 15 round mags in bag, S&W 640 or 340 or G27 as BUGs.
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

First carried a concealed weapon long enough ago that it was treated as open carry that was 'protected from the elements'.
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

I Forgot One Important 'Time' Thing...

Quote Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
    One major change for me is it's a lot harder to pick up my ejected magazines off the deck during quallifications! OH MY ACHING KNEES!
    What Thumper said...+1000

In fact, when I now bend down, I try to think if there is anything else I can accomplish/do/get done while I'm down there...

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

its been 12 years now for me and i've gone from.
    1. cool i can carry
    2. wow i have my wife and my self to think about.
    3. wife and kids are to important not to
    4. put away my colt gold cup for a Wilson custom 1911.
    5. went to thunder ranch, gunsite, frontsight.
    6. i feel naked without it.
    7. to my low point when i carried a glock for a week
    8. bought a Wilson CQB and a kramer sharskin IWB and matching belt.

now i'm divorced and she still carries and so do i my fiance is waiting for her permit in the mail now.
    and i still feel obligated to protect my family and friends (even the ex) and hope i never have to.......
    When the dust settles only the prepared will survive.

NRA LIFE MEMBER

remember the only thing common about common sense is that its not that common

Shoot low boys their riding Shetland ponies.

I don't remeber for sure, but I think I got my permit about 12 years ago. My attitude then was the same as it is now. No change here, but probably because I was "educated" to the importance of firearms ownership and self protection from the time I was a kid.

My Dad carried a gun in the vehicle at all times. I always kept a gun in my truck and more in the house before I got my permit. In fact, I got the permit after a friend had an incident where his guns were confiscated from his vehicle for illegal concealment. I figured, if I get a permit I won't have to deal with that, and I wanted to be able to carry on my person too.
    When you've got 'em by the balls, their hearts & minds will follow. Semper Fi.

VIP Member
    I've been carrying since I turned 21, which was 7.5 years ago.

I remember believing I couldn't "conceal anything bigger than a Seecamp." At this point I've learned how to change my wardrobe to conceal my guns, and I surprise my friends with what I can conceal.

I used to go through a period where I battled with holsters and what gun was the best for me to carry. I started out with a Walther PPK/S, a G23, a Kahr K40, a Para C6.45 LDA, a Taurus 617, and then settled with my S&W 640, USPc and CZ75c that I still carry today (rotating with the seasons). I've settled with the same style Ace Case bellyband, and it works with all my handguns.
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links