This one is way too close to home for me

This is a discussion on This one is way too close to home for me within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; We moved about 3 years ago shortly after the pj's reopened. I let the kids go outside w/out me now. Your family is your responsibility. ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: This one is way too close to home for me

We moved about 3 years ago shortly after the pj's reopened. I let the kids go outside w/out me now. Your family is your responsibility. We made the move to a better area and it was worth everything and then some.Good luck,stay safe.

2. Remove Ads

I was raised in rough neighborhoods but not like the ones today. In the 40s and 50s it was a few drunk fights and some burgleries but seldom a murder. It is hard to find a decent place to live so I live in the country now. I have 3 acres and a house next to a lake with a good field of fire all around, if you know what I mean. Having a gun is only part of the solution you must be aware of safety and security and try to make friends with your neighbors but don't take them to raisee. Stay away from domestic quarrelers and fighters. Mind your own business. Learn the proper use of firearms and practice monthly with them.
    Sambo74
    SI VIS PACEM, PARA BELLUM

A nice place I once lived in south Florida is now a crack house filled nightmare. Changes happen and if you think you see storm clouds on the horizon than it's probably a good move. While no place may be perfect it's nice to pick the home ground!

Glad you and the family are OK and do what you need to do for them.
    If you stand up and be counted, from time to time you may get yourself knocked down. But remember this: A man flattened by an opponent can get up again. A man flattened by conformity stays down for good. ~ Thomas J. Watson, Jr.

hey beagler my neck of the woods too..if you decide to move look a few miles south... it'll be a world of change......I read about it in the paper this morning..very sad

Quote Originally Posted by beagler View Post
    Just when you think your neighborhood is safe, some low life puts your life into check.
    Clue to the wise: no neighborhood is immune. Never has been. Never will be. You do what you can ... and what you can do should include the ability to defend against likely future attack, involving the planning with family, gathering of appropriate tools, preparedness, training, etc. That becomes the difference between being prey or not. Keep in mind one thing: a criminal is just a bus fare away, "good" neighborhood or not.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Senior Moderator
    Just last week I came out of my apartment to go to work and distinctly heard seven to eight gunshots. A few moments later there were sirens.

This isn't what I would consider a "safe" neighborhood (I don't think those exist anymore), but I never expected gunfire.

One shot in an urban area COULD be a AD/ND.. seven or eight? Something bad happened.

I can't wait to move!

Keep your family safe. Do what you have to do.

Unless you have a "good" city government and a neighborhood that is willing to work together and you're willing to take the risks...it's time to move.

We did the same thing - moved out. Constant vandalism, knifings, shootings, cars of drug dealers waiting in our drive way, we even had somebody whose hands got cut off in a sword attack 4 blocks from our house.

No matter how much you love the old neighborhood...sometimes you just have to give it up and get out!

The Sage once said that when we marry, we give hostages to fourtune.
    Your first responsibility is to your family.
    Make your decision, act on it and don't second guess your decision!
    "Deine Papieren bitte?" or "ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ !"
    (Choose only one)
    NRA Endowment Member
    "I bark at no man's bid. I will never come and go, and fetch and carry, at the whistle of the great man in the White House no matter who he is." -- David Crockett

Center of the World Ma! Center of the World!
    Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    Clue to the wise: no neighborhood is immune. Never has been. Never will be. You do what you can ... Keep in mind one thing: a criminal is just a bus fare away, "good" neighborhood or not.
    Unfortunately truer words were never written. I live in a very crime free area but a few years ago some low life killed his girl friend (If you kill someone are they still your friend?) he drove her out to this area and killed her. We have had about 3 murders in the area in the 22 years I have lived here. Possibly more but three come to mind. Good luck to you in your hunt for a new neighborhood.
    "Hell of a thing, killin' a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have."
    - William Munny (Clint Eastwood in the Unfrogivin)

“The graveyards are full of indispensable men.” – Napoleon Bonaparte

“My Idea of a fair fight is beating baby seals with a club”

The weird thing about the area he lives in is if you drive 10 mins north it's a big money area and if you drive 10 mins south it's the country. Me I live south. I'm the youngest guy in my town by prob 15 years. No crime to speak of. It's like going back in time a few years

Quote Originally Posted by Black Knight View Post
    Whether or not anybody agrees, you are doing what you believe is best to protect your family and that is what counts. You need not justify your decision to anyone. Keep your family safe.
    Pretty much says it all.

Good luck and stay safe out there!
    fortiter in re, suaviter in modo (resolutely in action, gently in manner).

Your family is whats important and you are doing the right thing... stay safe protect your wife and child and get out... congrats on the new purchase,,,XD nice.
    When the dust settles only the prepared will survive.

NRA LIFE MEMBER

remember the only thing common about common sense is that its not that common

Shoot low boys their riding Shetland ponies.

Glad you and yours are OK; sounds kind'a like a really bad area,
    but what locale isn't? I live 16 miles SSW of Bombingham, ALA
    crime has been rapidly spreading this way. Dumped bodies have
    been found near my home also, and YES it raises red flags. We
    take all kinds of precautions when away from home; especially
    from dusk on. NO ONE can be too safe, just do the best you
    can and go on with your life~!

tapout1003,
    You are correct about the geographics of our area. I am from the 'northern' part originally, but decided to move because we found a good house in a nice neighborhood. Over the last couple of years we have noticed many changes. We are having people knock on our door asking for money, looking for odd jobs, etc.... Actually last week some scum bag rang my door bell at 11:00pm. I can't believe he actually thought I was going to answer my door. I said a few choice words to him through my closed window and after he left I called the police. My wife and I are planning on moving down in your neck of the woods - maybe even beyond that in the next county. I agree with everyone here, you do what you need to do to protect your family. It is nice to know I have a place to vent my frustration and anger. Stay safe everyone.

I know how you feel. I have lived in the same town my whole life, except for traveling with the Corps or my previous career. We had very very little crime until recently.

we have now had a murder 3 weekends in a row, and last night I was watching the 11 o'clock news. The report told of two bodies found murdered on the side of the road in the next town over. The news people said the suspects are still at large.
    When you've got 'em by the balls, their hearts & minds will follow. Semper Fi.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links