Carrying an Expensive Custom Gun - Page 2

Carrying an Expensive Custom Gun

This is a discussion on Carrying an Expensive Custom Gun within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; These Austin bins may not be guns still waiting for trial, They might be waiting to be sold after being taken from their owner, or ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Carrying an Expensive Custom Gun

These Austin bins may not be guns still waiting for trial,

They might be waiting to be sold after being taken from their owner, or found. I was just saddened to see thousands of weapons piled in that condition.

If they lose your weapon (or "lose" it, either way), you should file a report with the BATFE. If a law-enforcement agency or officer thereof takes possession of a personal firearm for any reason, they have an obligation to return it to the lawful owner unless the owner becomes ineligible to own it while it's in their custody (i.e. becomes a convicted felon). Once you are either A) released without charges being filed B) released after charges are dropped, or C) found to be not guilty then they are in the wrong if they refuse or fail to return your firearm to you. I've heard, though have seen no proof to back this up, that the BATFE takes allegations of illegal seizure by LEOs / LE agencies very seriously, will investigate, and will give them a "body cavity search" (figuratively, of course) in the course of investigating. While I'm no fan of the BATFE, and generally think they should be done away with for ever, in this particular instance they could be helpful.

VIP Member
    I guess my concern is more you have stopped the attack, BG is on the ground and you are covering him. The police arrive and not knowing who you are, demand you drop the gun. No don't put it down, drop it on the ground. They come over to cuff and stuff you and kick/scoot your gun away from you.

So what gun do I want to drop on the ground and have potentially kicked/scooted along on the ground a short distance? This is a worst case scenario of course. The others are dirt and weather conditions and having that all sealed in a bag with my gun.

Ruger? Glock? $3K 1911?

-Scott-

Quote Originally Posted by Scott
    I guess my concern is more you have stopped the attack, BG is on the ground and you are covering him. The police arrive and not knowing who you are, demand you drop the gun. No don't put it down, drop it on the ground. They come over to cuff and stuff you and kick/scoot your gun away from you.

So what gun do I want to drop on the ground and have potentially kicked/scooted along on the ground a short distance? This is a worst case scenario of course. The others are dirt and weather conditions and having that all sealed in a bag with my gun.

Ruger? Glock? $3K 1911?

-Scott-

Which ever one went boom and saved your hide at the time ... I look at it also as being a non issue as in it saved me its only money and im still alive

Moot point. I'd NEVER carry a $3000 1911 (unless somebody GIVES me a Nighthawk Custom) and I'd hammer nails with a Glock, so it wouldn't matter if it was dropped. Heck you could SPIKE IT without worry!
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

I own a highly modified car that I like to run for fun on roadrace tracks. It's pretty common, lots of guys with Porsches, Vipers, and modified cheaper iron all on the track going as fast as they can. Not racing, but rather drivers education, sometimes with instructors and sometimes not.

In general, if you have an off track excursion or car to car contact that results in damage, your normal insurance company is not going to pay out. In fact, filing a claim under such conditions could easily get your policy cancelled.

Consequently, one of the best/most common bits of advice given to newbies under these conditions is "Don't track it unless you can afford to drive it off a cliff." Mebbe a little extreme, but the underlying message is really "If you CAN'T afford to bang it up and pay to fix it, stay home."

I think the same logic applies to a sweet custom carry gun. Assume you won't get it back, or if you do, it'll be near-totalled. If you're OK with that, holster up. If that'd really cause you problems, get a service weapon.

$0.02,
    Robert

Administrator

Trust Me

If you ever need to take a human life even in a fully justified defensive shooting it will probably change & disrupt your life so much that even if your handgun cost you 5 grand...you'll have other more pressing issues to occupy your mind for a while.
    Especially once you are finally cleared "criminally" but the inevitable civil lawsuit against you begins.
    But, after it's all over then (I Guess) you sue the Police Department for damage to your personal property...& you get reimbursed.
    What a world we live in.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

I carry one of a pair of identical 1911's built on stainless Series '70 Colts that were customized by John Harrison of Precision Gunworks, complete with ivory grips from the Colt Custom Shop OEM supplier. While each one is not irreplaceable, there would be at least a year wait to get a new one, assuming I can even find another sample of the base pistol. Since there is some money tied up in these, I have them on a personal property rider on my homeowner's insurance policy.

If my pistol ends up as a piece of evidence and/or gets damaged, I will just file a claim on my homeowner's insurance, and use the money to repair or replace. I would carry the other one of the pair while cheerfully waiting for the damage to be repaired or the new one to be finished. In the meantime, I continue to add dings and scratches to my carry pistol. It no longer looks like it did when I took delivery. It is scratched and dinged and one of the ivory panels is stained. That is the cost of practice and carry.

Now the abuse is not deliberate. When I know I am going to be trapped outside in the rain, I put up the Colt and grab a parkerized Precision Gunworks SA Mil-Spec with Navidrex micarta grips. That is my beater carry pistol and it shows. In a few years, it will need to be refinished in hard chrome because the bare metal is showing in a few spots.

In the grand scheme of shooting, pistols are cheap. Ammo is expensive. I easily shoot enough that the cost of ammo in a year outweighs the cost of the pistol. In the end, I do not worry about the cost of the pistol.

I agree with Bud. Your life is worth more than the price of a pistol. If you like it an it is reliable I would carry it. Loosing a pistol compared to losing a life. No question what I would do. If you cheerish it soo much that you don't want to lose it then keep it at home. I am looking at a Wilson combat. I want a no questions asked reliablility. If it save my hide it was worth the money paid. I would save up another pot of gold to buy another.

Question

Perhaps some of you have your priorities misplaced???

If I am alive, and IF the use was justified, I could care less about the piece of equipment used. If I get it back, fine. If not, well if I could afford the gun to begin with, I can afford to buy another.

The defense of me and mine will be entrusted to good reliable equipment. All of my carry guns fit that description. All look 'used', some look 'well used'. All have been proofed with the ammo carried in them.

To each his own. [:-))
    Keep the shotgun handy!!

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by farscott
    ......In the grand scheme of shooting, pistols are cheap. Ammo is expensive. I easily shoot enough that the cost of ammo in a year outweighs the cost of the pistol. In the end, I do not worry about the cost of the pistol.
    I just did a quick calculation and holy cow, last year I spent maybe $2200 on ammo...yep, that gets me into "custom" territory.

Another thought, agreeing with most who say Hey, if it saves my bacon, then pouring money into a custom and losing it was still worth it.....I gotta agree! I have yet, in my 53 years, to find myself in need of a gun to protect myself from a life-threatening situation. The odds are just to great that you'll ever get into that situation (most of us anyway), but I feel comfort that if it ever happens, I'm at least armed....so hey, if I want/can afford a custom I won't even consider "confiscation/loss" as a factor in carrying it.

I have had the pleasure of owning 4 M3's so far in my short life and I am a currently a BMWCCA instructor and this goes against everything that BMW Corporate tells its owners. Your car insurance will cover any accidents that may befall you on the track in a NON-timed driver education event. If it is a timed event than it is no longer a driver education course and than it is a racing event and then, your insurance can deny the claim.

~A

Quote Originally Posted by porterdog
    I own a highly modified car that I like to run for fun on roadrace tracks. It's pretty common, lots of guys with Porsches, Vipers, and modified cheaper iron all on the track going as fast as they can. Not racing, but rather drivers education, sometimes with instructors and sometimes not.

In general, if you have an off track excursion or car to car contact that results in damage, your normal insurance company is not going to pay out. In fact, filing a claim under such conditions could easily get your policy cancelled.

Consequently, one of the best/most common bits of advice given to newbies under these conditions is "Don't track it unless you can afford to drive it off a cliff." Mebbe a little extreme, but the underlying message is really "If you CAN'T afford to bang it up and pay to fix it, stay home."

I think the same logic applies to a sweet custom carry gun. Assume you won't get it back, or if you do, it'll be near-totalled. If you're OK with that, holster up. If that'd really cause you problems, get a service weapon.

$0.02,
    Robert
    Fave Quotes

The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad girls live!!!

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.
    Edmund Burke

The worst thing in this world, next to anarchy, is government.
    Henry Ward Beecher

I never buy guns I don't intend to use. Every handgun I own or ever will own I will try to make work as a carry piece. If it can't be a carry piece I'll give it another job. Not everything has to be a carry piece. If I can't find another use for it, I will get rid of it.

A $2000 rifle is quite sensible to me, but a $2k handgun just seems a bit out there. I am considering one handgun that will cost over $500, but I also plan to stop buying handguns once I get it.

Assistant Administrator
    When totting up my ''investment'' in my current carry SIG 226 ST - and its CT grips - I am over a grand!!! Not something I want to lose or even have ''missing''.

However - in the remote instance that I did have to defend self or family - I'd rate that investment as well spent money - for having still a functional body with life - and my family.

Same would apply if I had and used my R9 - that'd be $900 or so out the window - well at least - for whatever time it took to get it returned.

Once again - I place no dollar value on life - it is like insurance - pay the premium - and get the best you can afford - and then if TSHTF - at least you'll be around to see some more years!

Invest in the best you can - and hope you'll never have to use it - but if you do - rejoice in living!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

1952 - 2006
    Any quality handgun I have found costs somewhere between $500 and $1000.

Sigs are in the middle of this cost range while Glocks are near the bottom, well made 1911's are in the high end. I don't think I could pay much less than $500 and have faith in the long-term durability of the gun.

Just my opinion.
    Heroes are people who do what has to be done, when it has to be done, regardless of the consequences

"I like when the enemy shoots at me; then I know where the ******** are and can kill them."
    ~George Patton

DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links