Am I the only one, again?

This is a discussion on Am I the only one, again? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Went to a Gun Show this weekend, negotiated a budget of $580 from the wife. Saw a few things I wanted (AK nib for $350, ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Am I the only one, again?

Am I the only one, again?

Went to a Gun Show this weekend, negotiated a budget of $580 from the wife. Saw a few things I wanted (AK nib for $350, Keltec PF-9 for $240, custom Ruger 10-22 w/scope for $275, PT-145 Pro for $315, 1000 rnds 9mm for $160) but nothing that jumped out at me as a deal so I left empty-handed. I was generally disappointed because everything seemed to be selling for at least retail cost. I ended up going to Wally World and buying ammo there! Felt good about not buying just because I had the $$$, but today (2days later) I have a sense of regret as if I should have bought something. Is this normal?

Thanks in advance and God bless, HOLYROLLER.

2. Remove Ads

JD
    Administrator
    Any time I walk out of a place selling firearms or ammunition empty handed I feel regret.

Then again, if I went to a gun show with an allowed budget...I don't think I'd walk out empty handed, I'd have atleast 4 more mags and a case of ammo.

The gun show prices don't seem to be any better than finding on the web or ordering through the local shop BUT, boy, what a fine time to be had walking around looking at table after table of stuff all in one place.

Better than popcorn and a movie for less $$.
    "If you so much as bunny hop I'll cut your heart out!" Billy Bob Thornton in The Last Real Cowboys

"I carry a gun for the same reason that I carry health insurance and a cell phone - be prepared."

Assistant Administrator
    Actually I think you did good.

Some time ago when I was building my collection I felt similar but, did realize over time that on one or two occasions I bought just ''because'' .. I was there and so had to buy another.

I have since tried to be more discerning and as Jon said .... there is always ammo!! Otherwise, keep the cash on hand without it burning a pocket hole and like as not a chance will occur making you glad you have purchase power when needed.

Exchange regret for a feeling of satisfaction
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Distinguished Member Array 4my son's Avatar
    Same here,

My last several trips to the gun show, no deals.

I guess the point of having a gun show has been lost, I always thought it was to move inventory, give some deals, and make some sales. It's a wonder why the dealers keep coming back. I don't hardley go anymore.
    "fundamental principle of American law that a government and its agents are under no general duty to provide public services, such as police protection, to any individual citizen." [Warren v. District of Columbia,(D.C. Ct. of Ap., 1981)]
    If I have to explain it, you wouldn't understand

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by 4my son View Post
    Same here,

My last several trips to the gun show, no deals.

I guess the point of having a gun show has been lost, I always thought it was to move inventory, give some deals, and make some sales. It's a wonder why the dealers keep coming back. I don't hardley go anymore.
    I agree, I've only bought two guns at a gunshow, one was my Springfield Loaded model, I had to find that at a show, can't hardly find one with really good blueing anymore, just these baked on no gloss finishes.

Most of the time I go it's mainly for ammo or other accessories that I want to see before I buy on-line, or to bird dog an item for somebody else.

The last time I went to a show all I got was a Don Hume IWB for my Colt Mustang, a Yankee Hill bipod adapter and a M14 cleaning kit with chamber brush.

It is a good way to see a wide selection of different things that aren't carried in stores, or to handle 3 or four different guns without haveing to drive to 3 or 4 shops, or to buy mags in bulk at a usually cheaper price than the local shops.

If you have the time to shop around you can usually barter down some prices doing the whole "This guy over there has "B" for "X" amount."

And there's always ammo!

VIP Member
    The fruit of the Spirit is self control!

I gotta get me some of that!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

VIP Member
    I gotta give you an "attaboy"..To me you're being selective and was'nt going to buy something just because it was there.

It is quite difficult to have that money burning a hole in your pocket. But you showed restraint. That is better than regretting your purchase. I am ashamed to say that I have made purchases that I regret. You live and learn.
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

Dont give me to much credit for self-restraint, I am incredibly cheap. It seems to stop me from spending more often than not!

The big Spokane show... Was there lots of Jerky and beanie babies there? Last time I went there was... LOL

Senior Member Array Timmy Jimmy's Avatar
    I was really surprised the first time I went to a gun show. I was expecting cheap prices but everything was the same or more than at my local gun store.
    Timmy Jimmy

If it is not in the US Constitution then the Federal Government should not be doing it.

"Carrying a gun is a social responsibility."

NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    Sorry to hijack a thread.

Timmy Jimmy,
    Is that a picture of you Or Wayne Lapierre? Your avatar you look exactly like Wayne.

I'm not trying to offend you at all I'm just asking. I have seen your avatar a few times and went Man that guy looks familiar.

Quote Originally Posted by Timmy Jimmy View Post
    I was really surprised the first time I went to a gun show. I was expecting cheap prices but everything was the same or more than at my local gun store.
    Last edited by Rob99VMI04; April 9th, 2007 at 04:25 PM.
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

hmmm...

"Beware of the man who only owns one gun. He probably knows how to use it."

==> Any time I walk out of a place selling firearms or ammunition empty handed I feel regret.

It's especially regretful if you walk out empty-handed after having negotiated and pre-approved a budget with the spousal unit. That doesn't happen too often 'round here. "What do you need another gun for? You've got dozens already!"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links