Moving from Florida to Troy, NY... advice please

This is a discussion on Moving from Florida to Troy, NY... advice please within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hi, I have a friend that is moving from Florida to Troy, New York. I will be gifting this friend a gun so that she ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Moving from Florida to Troy, NY... advice please

Hi,

I have a friend that is moving from Florida to Troy, New York.

I will be gifting this friend a gun so that she will have protection up there but not sure what she will need to take it with her there. I hear some parts of New York require permits to even own a weapon in your home so if anyone familiar with Troy law could chime in with some advice.

Thanks.

She does have CCW permit in Florida. As I understand it, New York doesn't recognize Florida permits.

Don

2. Remove Ads

she won't be able to have a handgun here until she gets a permit unfortunately...and depending on the county that may take some time to get. Maybe a shotgun or rifle for her in the time being? I'll type more later, but I have a screaming baby to feed now so....

Edited to clarify now that my daughter no longer things that she will die if I don't feed her:

If she is just moving here then she cannot have a handgun anywhere in the state. Every county does it a bit differently and I don't know the exact process for Rensselaer County. Packing.org lists it as a "yellow" county and says that they require training before issuing a permit...one account states that it takes about 6 months to get the permit there.
    So until she gets her pistol permit her only choice in firarms are long guns.

As a side note...any handgun that you get her will have to either have < 10 magazines or they will have to be "preban" (made before Sept. 94)
    Last edited by raysheen; April 9th, 2007 at 05:17 PM.

My advice, turn around and stay in FL. Or at least a gun friendly state. Your 2A rights are non-existent in NY.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by havegunjoe View Post
    My advice, turn around and stay in FL. Or at least a gun friendly state. Your 2A rights are non-existent in NY.
    BIG +1
    "Planning to draw and chamber a round after TSHTF is like planning to fasten your seatbelt after you see the other guy run a stopsign..."

Professional hand engraver.
    To see full picture of knife in Avatar click here

Senior Member Array Matthew Temkin's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by don527 View Post
    Hi,

I have a friend that is moving from Florida to Troy, New York.

I will be gifting this friend a gun so that she will have protection up there but not sure what she will need to take it with her there. I hear some parts of New York require permits to even own a weapon in your home so if anyone familiar with Troy law could chime in with some advice.

Thanks.

She does have CCW permit in Florida. As I understand it, New York doesn't recognize Florida permits.

Don
    Actually permits upstate are easy to come by and are good for concealed carry almost everywhere except NYC and some other counties.
    But..first get the permit, then the gun.
    Check with the local Sheriff for more info.
    PS..I hope she likes cold and snow for nearly 7 months of the year.

p85
    I'm still trying to figure why anyone would want to move from Fla. to NY. I lived in NY for my first 40 years, learned my lesson. As to handgun possession in NY, the advice given already is correct. Check with the county sheriff first about application for permit. Be prepared to wait about 6 months. Don't get caught without permit, jail time felony.

Thanks for the replies so far.

Really sucks... 6 months is nuts. Sounds like a pain to own a gun up there but the move is somewhat a done deal later in the summer.

I'll try to check out about it as much as I can on packing.org but if I gift it and she moves, she has to turn it in to PD while awaiting permit? Shotgun will have to be a consideration I guess but I know she is not comfortable with them.

Thanks.

p85
    I had a permit in NY back in the 90's. It took me a few days shy of 6 months to get. I still own half a dozen pistols purchased in NY on that permit. But now if somehow I lost my mind and moved back, that permit would no longer be valid and I couldn't take any I currently own into NY till I had a new permit. Then probably would have to do a FFL to FFL transfer to get them back. In your case, I would be more inclined to purchase a good home defense shotgun or give her the money in lieu of the handgun til she had her own permit.

Friends don't let friends move to New York.
    When you've got 'em by the balls, their hearts & minds will follow. Semper Fi.

Distinguished Member Array AKsrule's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by don527 View Post
    Thanks for the replies so far.

Really sucks... 6 months is nuts. Sounds like a pain to own a gun up there but the move is somewhat a done deal later in the summer.

I'll try to check out about it as much as I can on packing.org but if I gift it and she moves, she has to turn it in to PD while awaiting permit? Shotgun will have to be a consideration I guess but I know she is not comfortable with them.

Thanks.
    DO NOT let her cross the NY BORDER with a PISTOL!!!

Mere possession of an unlicensed handgun in NY is a CRIME.

ALSO - NY is NOT a Shall Issue State- There is NO Guarantee that
    she will Get a Permit! Each County Judge has Total Control over
    issuance of Permits.
    -------
    -SIG , it's What's for Dinner-

know your rights!
    http://www.handgunlaw.us

"If I walk in the woods, I feel much more comfortable carrying a gun. What if you meet a bear in the woods that's going to attack you? You shoot it."
    {Bernhard Goetz}

Quote Originally Posted by sgtD View Post
    My thought precisely!
    +1!

My advice: Stay In Florida!

Do you trust someone in NY, who has a permit? If so have a FL FFL holder transfer to a NYS FFL holder. Then put you guns on your the permit of the person you trust, untill you get a new N.Y.S permit.

I hope you will be moving to a permit freindly county. Im moving to N.Y.S myself. Geting a permit wont be a problem for me, in the county Im moving to. Its geting one withought restrictions, that Im shooting for.

Quote Originally Posted by sgtD View Post

Couldn't have said it any better.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

The house she will be moving into is family owned and believe the family member has a permit but will not be living at that house. Can I have him put the gun under his permit and he can keep it at "his home?"

Just sucks cause doesn't seem fair that one has to wait 6 months without a handgun. Love Florida.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links