Need help with training the family - Page 2

Need help with training the family

This is a discussion on Need help with training the family within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; + 1 To Duracles. Have them attend a safety class. Talk over a plan and be sure it includes someone getting to a safe place ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Need help with training the family

+ 1 To Duracles. Have them attend a safety class. Talk over a plan and be sure it includes someone getting to a safe place and calling 911. Have them describe the situation and tell them to describe what DAD (the good guy) is wearing and what the lowlife criminal is wearing,so there will be less of a chance of a friendly fire accident happening when the cops show up!!!

No Children Here...

but this is something the wife and I talk a lot about. At home, in the yard, shopping, in the parking lot...what to do (she sometimes has a gun with her...coordination is important)...

We have condsidered taking a class for couples' defense...how to work together, although, I would rather she head for cover if I'm every involved in anything...

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Senior Member Array Timmy Jimmy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    but this is something the wife and I talk a lot about. At home, in the yard, shopping, in the parking lot...what to do (she sometimes has a gun with her...coordination is important)...

We have condsidered taking a class for couples' defense...how to work together, although, I would rather she head for cover if I'm every involved in anything...

ret
    So do you think that she feels the same way that you should head for cover?
    Timmy Jimmy

If it is not in the US Constitution then the Federal Government should not be doing it.

"Carrying a gun is a social responsibility."

This is a case where you should have already figured out your personal rules of engagement and discussed these with the other folks who may be involved with you in a self-defense situation. My personal rules of engagement are still being refined, but here are some general things Iíve come up with so far.

The first thing I considered was who I was willing to defend. This may be close family members, close friends, and possibly others. This defines the group of people you need to talk to about your expectations of them during an altercation or potential altercation.

The next thing I considered was what would cause me to use deadly force. When I discuss this with others I refer to these as triggering events. These are specific events that would cause me to draw and fire my weapon.

An example of how this triggering event concept works might be an armed robbery at a convenience store. Letís say a robber comes into the store, points a gun at the clerk and asks for money. Iím out of his immediate vision with my wife and grandkids. Is this a triggering event? Probably not. Because it may end peacefully, if I donít intervene. If I do intervene and draw my gun, I may become a bullet magnet and put my wife and grandkids, who are in close proximity to me, in danger. If, however, the robber says something like, ďeveryone on the floor,Ē I know things are going to get ugly. This is a triggering event that would cause me to take action, and cause my wife to get my grandkids away from me and to cover because she knows Iíll very shortly become a bullet magnet.

You need to mentally run through possible scenarios and identify your own set of triggering events, and the actions you expect others to take both before and after they happen.

Once youíve identified the group of people you are willing to defend, and the circumstances that would cause you to use deadly force, you need to talk to the folks in your group about what actions you expect them to take. You need to talk to them about the triggering events youíve identified, and your expectations of them both before and after these events happen.

If you figure out what your personal rules of engagement are prior to needing them, and discuss them with those you may be defending, youíll have a lot less to deal with if you ever find yourself in a bad situation.
    "A gentleman will seldom, if ever, need a pistol. However, if he does, he needs it very badly!" -- Sir Winston Churchill

"He who goes unarmed in paradise had better be sure that is where he is." -- James Thurber

Senior Moderator

A well-trained wife, checking in!

I've known my husband for about eight years now, been with him for more than four, been best friends with him for about six, three or four of those years were while he was in the Marine Corps, another year while he was in the Marine Corps Reserves. When he got out of the Active Corps he got his permit to carry in his state of residence and has been carrying since.

Weapons have always been around us, individually and as a couple and from the very first time we ever held hands we started establishing rules.

I don't walk on his right side or hold his right hand because he wants that hand free should he need to defend himself or us. Granted that means my right hand is occupied, but if something happens while we are together he is my leader. If he goes for his weapon, I immediately let him go and draw my own. I follow him and cover our rear while he advances and works on getting us out of that situation.

If/when something happens, I let go of him and DO NOT touch him. Clingy is BAD, especially when you are fighting for your life. The only time I am authorized (doesn't THAT sound formal? ) to touch him is if he's carrying and extra gun and I need it, or if he's carrying spare mags and I need them, or if we are in another situation where I need to get something from him that will help our situation, never hinder it.

When we have kids. The kid's safety is the priority and getting them to safety is my job while he provides cover fire.

Our kids will be trained to follow me 100% should something go wrong. Some kids are "Mommy's" and some kids are "Daddy's" but we don't want one of our children who is frightened to be confused and scared and scream, "NO! I want to stay with Daddy!" We want them to know that Daddy will come and get them when he can, but when Dad says, "GO WITH YOUR MOTHER!" They don't question, they follow me like chicks follow a mother goose.

My responsibility is to lead them to safety, no matter how much I may want to stay and help/protect my husband.

Since there are no kids yet, we practice being a team and working together.

If I'm not armed, I stay out of the way. If I am armed, I help, but only if that means not getting in the way.

If you are going to have a couple who carries together you need to work together so that you don't end up accidentally shooting one another in the heat of the moment of crossing one another and getting in each other's way.

We don't have "code words" really. We say what we mean.. He screams, "DOWN!" I get down. He says, "LET GO!" I let go and step away from him to give him PLENTY of room to respond (cause I've seen him fight and he sometimes needs a little room!). He says, "GO!" I go. It's pretty basic.

I agree that your kids won't need to know much, but it's important to teach them to respond exactly how you would like them to so that there is no confusion on their part, especially when they are scared.

I don't have a problem letting my husband be the "tactical leader" in our little team and I have no problem taking second chair to him. After all, he's the only one of the two of us who's had real training. He's the only one of us who's seen combat and survived. I'll do what he tells me without question and hopefully stay alive!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links