Great article from Foxnews - merge

This is a discussion on Great article from Foxnews - merge within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,264896,00.html To bad the people who need to read it will never see it....

View Poll Results:

Voters
0. You may not vote on this poll
  • 0 0%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Great article from Foxnews - merge

Great article from Foxnews - merge

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,264896,00.html

To bad the people who need to read it will never see it.
    "No man's life, liberty, or property is safe while the Congress is in session."
    Mark Twain
    S&W M&P 40

2. Remove Ads

There is much truth to that article and yes, it is a shame that those who need to see it will say "Oh, its from 'Faux News'" or some other stereotypical liberal gun control remark.

great article!!

john lott writes alot of good stuff

Distinguished Member Array Chooie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by KsPete View Post
    There is a good article on FoxNews.com today regarding right-to-carry laws and the unintended consequences of so-called "gun-free zones."

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,...00.htmlgarding
    Try this one. http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,264896,00.html

I'm glad to see this, and I can only hope that more media outlets take it upon themselves to show this viewpoint.

Thanks, Jchoo, for some reason, I didn't get the entire link pasted correctly. I especially liked this part:

"One of us conducted research with Bill Landes at the University of Chicago that examined all the multiple-victim public shootings in the United States from 1977 to 1999. We found that when states passed right-to-carry laws, these attacks fell by 60 percent. Deaths and injuries from multiple-victim public shootings fell on average by 78 percent.

To the extent that attacks still occurred, they overwhelmingly happened in the special places within right-to-carry states where concealed handguns were banned. The University of Washington is a good example of this.
    There is no evidence that there are any more accidental gun deaths that occur from right-to-carry laws. Permit holders also tend to be extremely law-abiding."
    Last edited by KsPete; April 10th, 2007 at 07:36 PM.

VIP Member
    Its always refreshing to read articles like this. Thanks for the post.

John Lott is one of the best. He is, to the civilain and intellectual world, what Jeff Cooper was to the military, law enforcement and pro-self defense world.

Still, for the reasons you have all stated, there are very few outside of our ranks who know who Col. Copper was, and unfortunately just as few outside our ranks will ever know of John Lott.
    When you've got 'em by the balls, their hearts & minds will follow. Semper Fi.

Common sense is not at all common.
    People tend to think of the police for themselves like they do the Presidents security detail, near instantaneous results with much pre-arrival site security. As long as they have 911 memorized and somehow accessible then things will be okay.

It's just not humanly possible for this to be true and police to be everywhere for everyone at any given time and even in their bed with them as they are awakened in the dead of night by breaking glass and heavy steps down their bedroom hallway...

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

It's a shame that innocent people had to die to prompt the writing of this article. I hope it is read and heeded by every woman in America!
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

Good Article...

Great point...

...One of us conducted research with Bill Landes at the University of Chicago that examined all the multiple-victim public shootings in the United States from 1977 to 1999. We found that when states passed right-to-carry laws, these attacks fell by 60 percent. Deaths and injuries from multiple-victim public shootings fell on average by 78 percent...

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Senior Member Array Timmy Jimmy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Great point...

...One of us conducted research with Bill Landes at the University of Chicago that examined all the multiple-victim public shootings in the United States from 1977 to 1999. We found that when states passed right-to-carry laws, these attacks fell by 60 percent. Deaths and injuries from multiple-victim public shootings fell on average by 78 percent...

ret
    Why is it that the antis don't see and understand these stats??
    Timmy Jimmy

If it is not in the US Constitution then the Federal Government should not be doing it.

"Carrying a gun is a social responsibility."

Quote Originally Posted by Timmy Jimmy View Post
    Why is it that the antis don't see and understand these stats??
    "Don't know, because: don't want to know." -- The Russia House

I'm trying to work on my blindly anti mother. Now and then, I'll slip her some article, some write-up of irrefutable evidence, some legal summary that presents the issue in plain language. I can't say it's doing a thing, yet. Though, she is willing to read them and engage me on them. That's something, I suppose. But that's just sport.

Convincing out peers who hold the seats in the congress and senate to also remove the self-imposed blinders and stupidity goggles? Now, that's challenging. Power corrupts. Their corruption disallows them to see reality, in this area as much as any other.

Looks like I've got another letter to write, with a copy of this gem from Lott tossed in.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Excellent article, but as so many others have said, it is preaching to the choir. The gun banners will never look at it because it is a confirmation of the premise behind right to carry.

Michael
    America. The land of the free because of the brave.

Apparently you can get a CCW in Washington State, but it is illegal to carry in schools. Someone should sue either the state or the university - or both - for violating her 2nd Amendment rights. Also, from what I have read of constitutional law, we have an inherent right to effective self-defense.

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.
    Notice that the 2nd Amendment doesn't grant the right to keep and bear arms, it says the right shall not be infringed, which indicates to me that this is a natural right that can neither be granted by man nor taken away.

Leaving out the fact that she may or may not have considered carrying a gun (we have no way of knowing that based on the article), Rebecca is dead because someone didn't recognize her natural right to defend herself. Because her right to keep and bear arms was not recognized, she was willfully committed to death by the state. It seems to me that a case could be made against the State of Washington and also against the University.

This may be a good way to get our Second Amendment rights fully recognized. Whether or not someone sues the state of Washington, perhaps in the future a case similar to this could be made.

Excellent article! The anti's won't trust it because they proved John Lott's conclusions in More Guns Less Crime were completely false if you will remember. They had no proof mind you, they just said it was false so therefore it must be false. That is how they combat logic.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links