Well, University opinion vs. ORC, who'll win?

This is a discussion on Well, University opinion vs. ORC, who'll win? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I go to the University of Cincinnati, and am also a Ohio CHL holder. Campus police really didn't have much of a clue (they said ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Well, University opinion vs. ORC, who'll win?

Well, University opinion vs. ORC, who'll win?

I go to the University of Cincinnati, and am also a Ohio CHL holder. Campus police really didn't have much of a clue (they said car ok, walking with not ok after a bunch of bouncing back and forth), but they also can't tell me what the University will do if (I hope this never happens) somebody spots me placing my gun in the safe. My future education is not worth taking some guy's word for it, so I contacted the office of Judicial Affairs about this tonight. Should be interesting to see what I get back.

Subject: Student Code of Conduct and Ohio Revised Code
    To: judaffs@uc.edu

I have a question about what I view as a questionable gray area for some Ohio residents/students. I am licensed by the state of Ohio to carry a concealed weapon, and by doing this have proven that I have a clean background, with no felonies, no drug offenses, and no mental instabilities.

I pursued my license for self defense and for the defense of my family, which I hope you understand with the violent crime in Cincinnati and my wish to avoid becoming a statistic.

University of Cincinnati's code of student conduct states:
    "Use, storage, or possession of a firearm, explosive device of any description, ammunition or anything used to threaten or harm including, but not limited to, firecrackers, compressed air guns, pellet guns, BB guns, paint guns, water guns, and knives."

Ohio Revised Code Sec. 2923.126. states (with reagards to places forbidden for carry):
    "(5) Any premises owned or leased by any public or private college, university, or other institution of higher education, unless the handgun is in a locked motor vehicle or the licensee is in the immediate process of placing the handgun in a locked motor vehicle;"

I wish to carry in my vehicle during my commute to and from school only, with the weapon secured in a vehicle safe and made useless (my pistol has an internal lock that prevents movement of the slide and the trigger) while on campus during classes.

I do NOT want to jeapordize my future education due to a misunderstanding between Ohio State Law and University Policy. Is a student, licensed and acting within the letter of the law regarding the university and his weapon, still subject to the Student Code of Conduct?

With the University stripping me of all effective means of self defense on campus (my car keys are not worth their weight in salt against a knife, firearm, or multiple assailants), and with the understanding that they can only provide 6 officers for 30,000+ students, I do NOT wish to increase the odds of injury or death by including my commute to campus as a time that I have nothing, NOR do I wish to violate university policy and the potential remifications of doing so.

I would greatly appreciate to get in writing the University's stance on this. If this is not possible, I would be glad to stop by your offices and discuss this.

Thank you for your time,
    Michael xxxxxxxxx

2. Remove Ads

Nice letter. Can't wait to hear their response.

Only 6 campus police on duty for 30k students at an urban campus? That's an outrage.
    Go Glock - until you can afford H&K

Administrator
    Your comparing apples and oranges here...

You might be in violation of the schools rules, but not in violation of law. The school can punish you for not following thier rules, but no violation of law has occured.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Clifton is a real safe place, I know I always feel like the bad guys won't get me when I'm down there or driving down there. I am not a lawyer, but a weapon can be locked in a vehicle on campus.

Nice letter, but last I checked your school's president had aobut as much sense as mine.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Your comparing apples and oranges here...

You might be in violation of the schools rules, but not in violation of law. The school can punish you for not following thier rules, but no violation of law has occured.
    Which is exactly why I want to get their opinion/word in writing on it.

I'd hate to do it, but if that requires me to park at the meters and feed them quarters throughout the day, so be it.

I can tell you what theywould say at my school. No firearms are allowed on school property period. Even in the car.

Of course they would likely never know, but if I were to get stopped by the UPD and they searched my car, I would be screwed, so I leave the gun at home on school days.

Luckily, I'm big and ugly and old, so most criminals would probably pick an easier looking target, I hope. Of course it also makes me feel better that we have zero violent crime on our campus here.(of course one incident can change that real quickly) It has a lot to do with the area demographics and our campus cops do carry guns.

One more semester and I'll be out of this liberal wasteland though. I can't wait.

Of course law school may be as bad or worse, who knows?
    When you've got 'em by the balls, their hearts & minds will follow. Semper Fi.

Administrator
    I tell you what the outcome is going to be if you want me to...

Its like having the monkeys running the zoo down there, commen sense no longer exists.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by buckeye07 View Post
    Clifton is a real safe place, I know I always feel like the bad guys won't get me when I'm down there or driving down there. I am not a lawyer, but a weapon can be locked in a vehicle on campus.

Nice letter, but last I checked your school's president had aobut as much sense as mine.

On the vehicle part, I'm thinking the same thing, but I'm not willing to risk my education over an "I thought I was ok because they said so" situation.

Real safe place: Maybe to you, but I carry my pistol everywhere. The surroundings I go to are always perfectly ok and never have made me question where I go, but the people in those areas are a different story. Too much of a history of rape, assault, shooting, drug crime, and robbery for me to risk it. I've got a 30 minute commute there, and spend about 20 of it in a not so nice area. I make sure my gas gauge is plenty to get me to and from for a reason.

The president's common sense is near nil, although her business tactics need work, her management sense is near perfect. Still don't like a decent amount of her decisions.

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    I tell you what the outcome is going to be if you want me to...

Its like having the monkeys running the zoo down there, commen sense no longer exists.

Yup, but by getting it in writing, and hopefully by working with the Criminal Justice Society (been to one meeting and already gave an impromptu speech, and they welcomed my CCW trainer with open arms, always good signs), I can give it a shot at changing. Dealing with the campus police captain to try and raise awareness and self defense courses resulted in 1 email correspondence followed with her not emailing me back after 2 or 3 more emails to her, and her conveniently being in a meeting when I've showed up in person.

I'm just a student, but when organized, especially in a well defined existing organization like the CJS, we have a chance to do some change.

Sorry, sarcasm doesnt flow well on the forum sometimes. I have heard gunshots while sleeping at friend's houses down there, several times. I'm not sure which campus is more dangerous, yours or mine, but they are close., especially the off campus residence areas. I know OTR pretty well too (Cincy raised, lots of community service in high school).

At least you don't live down around campus, I live right off campus up here, not such a good neighborhood, a lot of the area around Cincy itself is real nice, especially the further you get.

And yes, I carry a pistol and knife minimum everywhere I can.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Quote Originally Posted by buckeye07 View Post
    Sorry, sarcasm doesnt flow well on the forum sometimes. I have heard gunshots while sleeping at friend's houses down there, several times. I'm not sure which campus is more dangerous, yours or mine, but they are close., especially the off campus residence areas. I know OTR pretty well too (Cincy raised, lots of community service in high school).

At least you don't live down around campus, I live right off campus up here, not such a good neighborhood, a lot of the area around Cincy itself is real nice, especially the further you get.

And yes, I carry a pistol and knife minimum everywhere I can.
    Glad to hear from another person that's done both campus's (I did OSU for a year, it obviously didn't work out too well).

You're right about the sarcasm part, I'm still shocked to hear what some folks say when they're deadly serious. SOrry for not catching on

Hey, no problem, I frequent many campuses around Ohio and Indiana, and OSU and UC might be the worst I go to regularly. I never went to UC, but played a lot of high school ball in Nippert, and have lots of friends down there, many on the rugby team, that makes for a rough night.

Stay safe down there, I'm interested to hear UC's response.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

I graduated from UC. Twice. The place is no safer now than it was in the 90s.

You will not get the answer you want from UC. You know that. Frankly, your firearm is not safe in your car, either. The thieves in Clifton are the best of the best.

The best answer: NKU.

If that's not an option, my only advice is: don't pack anything in your car that you are unwilling to lose.

Sorry. I hate to be so negative, I really do. However, the administrative stupidity of the administration will never change.

Administrator
    but then the thieves would carry the gun off campus and problem solved!
    "Just blame Sixto"

A Little Late, Now...

but I would have researched a little more and made sure that you were not in violation of any state law...first...

Then I would have purchased a small car safe...chances of the university searching your car are 'zip to none'...

If you needed a weapon...and didn't have one...you might not be attending the university anymore anyway...

Stay armed...stay safe...legally!

OMO

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links