long haul trucking and ccw?

This is a discussion on long haul trucking and ccw? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I used to carry in a company truck. The company had a policy of no guns in the truck. The areas I serviced were very ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: long haul trucking and ccw?

I used to carry in a company truck. The company had a policy of no guns in the truck. The areas I serviced were very bad and I had trouble more than once. I don't know how a company can expect you to go into areas like this and not have some form of protection.

2. Remove Ads

I'm a private investigator and my employer doesn't allow us to carry while working. Most of our clients have us (individual inv) sign codes of conduct which don't allow us to carry "weapons" to include knives.
    I've worked cases in some rough places and would have felt more comfortable carrying.
    I do wear a knife (benchmade 9100 autostryker), keep my tire iron right under the seat, and some pepperspray in the door compartment. I'm sure my company would be pissed if they knew about the knife, but hopefully they never will.
    "Common sense is buried right next to personal responsibility in the social graveyard." - Andrew Wilkow

"A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon." - Napoleon Bonaparte
    "Death is nothing, but to live defeated and inglorious is to die daily." - Napoleon Bonaparte

Thank you for the information.
    America should have license to carry "children" laws...

Mooo

I appreciate the replies to my question. I was hauling fuel the other day and got stopped at a DOT checkpoint. I was not carrying in the vehicle at the time but I kept getting strange questions and looks from the officer. He was aware of the fact that I had a CC license but since I was under the impression that it was illegal to carry in a commercial vehicle I was not carrying and did not comment to him that I did have a CC license. He noticed it when I opened my wallet. He was very polite and controlled but I thought I better find out exactly what the law is.

If you don't have any weapon with you don't be nervous during travel in some areas. You will have truck equipment like rod. You can use this as a weapon.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    It can also make a difference if you are a "company employee" or an "independent contractor." By definition of an independent contractor, company policy has less impact. In general it follows state law, company policy, customer policy--the former can get you jailed, the latters can get you fired.
    Retired USAF E-8. Avatar is OldVet from days long gone. Oh, to be young again.
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

3 things you do need to know though.

State law of the state you are in.

Destination regulations- Particularly if you deliver to fed controlled areas.

Company policy.

That's it.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

VIP Member
    I had the good fortune to be a 1099 employee most of my trucking career.

TRX
    I used to have a part-time job delivering narcotics to nursing homes, mostly from late evening to early morning. Company policy prohibited "weapons", and listed them specifically. I complied, but *my* policy was that if anyone jacked me up, I'd toss them the keys and ask them if they wanted the company gas card too. No way was I going to put myself in any avoidable danger for an employer who denied me a means of defending myself.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Quote Originally Posted by TRX View Post
    I used to have a part-time job delivering narcotics to nursing homes, mostly from late evening to early morning.
    Didn't realize nursing homes had gas pumps and a phone booth in the parking lot!
    Retired USAF E-8. Avatar is OldVet from days long gone. Oh, to be young again.
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links