long haul trucking and ccw?

This is a discussion on long haul trucking and ccw? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hi Folks, I was speaking with my step-father who is a long haul trucker and asked him about carrying firearms in his truck. He informed ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: long haul trucking and ccw?

long haul trucking and ccw?

Hi Folks,

I was speaking with my step-father who is a long haul trucker and asked him about carrying firearms in his truck. He informed me that there is some federal regulations about carrying a firearm concealed in a semi that does not allow him to carry. I have searched the web and looked at DOT statues, but I have yet to locate this information. Any ideas on where to find this information?

NMG
    America should have license to carry "children" laws...

Mooo

2. Remove Ads

I have heard the same then when talking with our truckers at my summer job, no idea on the actual statue though. I was told by several they could have a folding knife and that was it as far as "weapons". Of course they have some pretty creative tire thumpers too.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Ther is no law concerning CCW in a commercial vehicle. As long as your permit is good for the states you go into. It is ok to carry, provided your employer has no problem with it.
    Yetiman likes this.

This is a common misconception. There is no federal restriction - you just have to be legal in the states you're in (reciprocity, vehicle carry requirements). The biggest problem is the employer - most prohibit it. Been driving 14 yrs, now I only go where I'm legal (32 states, but I only run SC, GA, FL, AL, MS, NC.). Other problem is the customers -again, most prohibit firearms on premise. An individual choice....

Howard
    Yetiman likes this.
    NRA Certified Firearms Instructor
    NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
    SC SLED Certified CWP Instructor

VIP Member
    There is nothing in Title 49 of the U.S. Code or Code of Federal Regulations regarding firearms and heavy vehicles (i.e., trucks); both 49 USC and 49 CFR mention firearms in the aviation world.

Any regs/rules/law regarding interstate trucking and guns would be a state concern. The state's respective DOT motor carrier compliance (or whatever passes for it) and/or state police or highway patrol might have some answers regarding carriage of weapons in trucks.

I can ask a couple of FMSCA inspector friends of mine if they can point me in the right direction.
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

Senior Member Array Timmy Jimmy's Avatar
    This question has come up a number of times on NRANEWS with Cam Edwards when he is talking to the NRA Lawyer and ther is no law to that affect!
    Yetiman likes this.
    Timmy Jimmy

If it is not in the US Constitution then the Federal Government should not be doing it.

"Carrying a gun is a social responsibility."

This topic has come up a few times on the talk show "Gun Talk" (www.guntalk.com) that I often listen to, and from what I have heard on there the DOT regulation actually talks about explosives and not firearms. The trucking company's actually twist the law in their guidlines or manuals to make it saw firearms, just to cover themselves. But like I said, this is just what I've heard. So I apologize if I am wrong.
    “They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security” Benjamin Franklin
    I'm not pro gun, I'm pro rights. What are you?

NRA
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

VIP Member
    So it appears to be legal, just as in a car, one would need an up to date listing of state laws on the subject and an in the cab gun safe.
    Then load and unload and lock it up as nec. Also, on the road may
    be legal and as soon as you go into a rest stop, it may be illegal.

As has been said, there's no such law.

A real issue, though, is that many companies forbid their employees to carry firearms. A good friend of mine who is a long-haul trucker has spoken to me about pepper spray or a taser variant.

I used to haul steel in a past life, and never went on the road unarmed. Practically everyone I knew also had firearms, some with quite an arsenal. Seems to me that a company would want their employees to be able to defend themselves, especially when they're out on the road, in a somewhat vulnerable situation.
    Cheers,
    Rod
    "We're paratroopers. We're supposed to be surrounded!" Dick Winters

Unfortunately the companies are lawyer scared and don't want the liability of their "employee", "on the job", shooting someone. The employee won't win a suit against the company for not letting them carry resulting in injury, but a civil suit against the company by the "victim"'s family will likely fly in court. As a business decision, it has its merits. In terms of employee care, it has none.

There is NO, repeat NO federal regulation against having a gun in a commercial vehicle. If you do carry a weapon in a vehicle, you must obey any state and local regs for transporting a weapon in the vehicle, but there are no federal regulations that deal with it. A trucking company may have it's own policy that SAY's there is a federal regulation, but they are BSing you about it being a law.

If you've ever listened to Tom Gresham's radio show on Sundays', this question is asked about once a month. He has an on-going bet that he'll pay $10,000 to anyone who can show a federal regulation (you have to get the actual name and number of the reg) that prohibits the carrying of a firearm in a commercial vehicle. So far there are no takers.
    "... Americans... we want a safe home, to keep the money we make and shoot bad guys." -- Denny Crane

Senior Member Array Timmy Jimmy's Avatar
    As is said so many times on this forum "Concealed is Concealed"
    Timmy Jimmy

If it is not in the US Constitution then the Federal Government should not be doing it.

"Carrying a gun is a social responsibility."

I am a long-haul trucker, and my company prohibits any firearms on company property. However, no company is going to tell me that I dont have the right to defend myself. Especially in the areas I am usually delivering, and picking up from. As stated above, Concealed is Concealed.
    Starsnbars likes this.

If his employer does not object, it is the same as CCW in a car. You need to be legal in the States that you travel in, follow all the applicable laws.....thats it. http://handgunlaw.us/ is a good place to get up to date on the laws. I drove a big truck for a lot of years, and I would suggest not letting a dispatcher give me a load to NY, if I had a gun with me. Period.... Not even if it was locked up, Title 18 style!
    http://www4.law.cornell.edu/uscode/h...6---A000-.html
    Last edited by DakotaXD; April 12th, 2007 at 02:04 AM.
    "Old Marines never die, we just smell like it." USMC 71'-83'

Stay Safe

I haul fuel for a living and have
    been carrying my P-11 in my front
    pocket since i started.I deliver at
    night and some of the area's i go
    i wouldn't want to be in the day
    time much less at night.I doubt it would cause problems as the owners all hunt and shoot for fun.

Of course i didn't ask but there's
    nothing in the employee's hand
    book about it but then there's no
    handbook

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links