Bank carry

Bank carry

This is a discussion on Bank carry within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hello I go to the bank on the regular and I was just wondering if it was a NO NO to go into the bank ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bank carry

Bank carry

Hello I go to the bank on the regular and I was just wondering if it was a NO NO to go into the bank carrying? I bank with Key bank and tht is were I go 95% of the time.
    “Do you have any idea how hard it would be to live with yourself if your loved ones were attacked and killed, and you had to stand there helplessly because you were unprepared for that day?”

Ricardo

Depends on your state and local laws. Where I'm at it's perfectly legal.

banks are privately owned.

they are NOT federal buildings, which is what most people get this topic confused on.

if theres no state specific exemption, then you're fine.

In Ohio, like the majority of the states, CCW in financial institutions is perfectly legal.

As per Section 2923.126 of the OH Code.

great thanks
    “Do you have any idea how hard it would be to live with yourself if your loved ones were attacked and killed, and you had to stand there helplessly because you were unprepared for that day?”

Ricardo

Distinguished Member Array ArmyCop's Avatar
    No problem with legal permit carry in banks in Alabama
    For God, Family and Country!

Senior Moderator
    As previously stated banks are privately owned. Unless your state has a law that allows privately owned institutions to determine whether or not they will allow concealed carry on their property (Virgina has this), or specifically state that carry in banks is a No No, then you are in the clear.

Distinguished Member Array Chooie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by limatunes View Post
    (Virgina has this)
    Yes and no. Yes, they can post, no, it's not a firearms violation. All they can do if they discover you're carrying is ask you to leave. If you refuse, it's a misdemeanor trespassing charge. There are far worse places to be.

As said, it's legal in Ohio as long as you go to a bank that doesn't post at every location (cough5/3cough).
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Distinguished Member Array BIG E's Avatar
    OK in KY too.
    Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft!

-- Theodore Roosevelt --

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Jchoo View Post
    Yes and no. Yes, they can post, no, it's not a firearms violation. All they can do if they discover you're carrying is ask you to leave. If you refuse, it's a misdemeanor trespassing charge. There are far worse places to be.
    Thanks for the clarification. I wouldn't normally know, but my husband and I may be moving to Virginia so we have started to read, consider and prepare ourselves for Virginia concealed carry laws. The law I was referring to was from the Virginia State police website under the section listing places one could not carry...

§18.2-308 (O.): Private property when prohibited by the owner of the property, or where posted as prohibited.
    Either way, check your state laws!

Senior Member Array Timmy Jimmy's Avatar
    I work for the Independent Bankers Association of Texas and you can legally carry in Texas banks, unless they have a 30.06 posted!
    Timmy Jimmy

If it is not in the US Constitution then the Federal Government should not be doing it.

"Carrying a gun is a social responsibility."

Quote Originally Posted by Jchoo View Post
    Are you sure about this? I agree that the violation is a trespassing charge and not a gun charge.

If the place is not posted, then they have to ask you to leave and you have to refuse before you can be charged.

But I thought that when the place was posted, that constituted their notice that you couldn't carry and is defacto evidence that you ARE trespassing by ignoring the sign.

I'm not sure you are right, but I like your interpretation better.
    fortiter in re, suaviter in modo (resolutely in action, gently in manner).

I understand that banks are not federal buildings, but my question is this. I bank at a Federal Credit Union, does that apply to federal buildings? They do have a posting.
    "The great object is, that every man be armed.... Every one who is able may have a gun."
    - Patrick Henry

Distinguished Member Array Chooie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PaulG View Post
    Are you sure about this? I agree that the violation is a trespassing charge and not a gun charge.

If the place is not posted, then they have to ask you to leave and you have to refuse before you can be charged.

But I thought that when the place was posted, that constituted their notice that you couldn't carry and is defacto evidence that you ARE trespassing by ignoring the sign.

I'm not sure you are right, but I like your interpretation better.
    From what I understand, because Virginia doesn't have specific posting requirements, there is no set rule for what constitutes "clearly posted". For example, the mall in town has several anchor stores with their own entrances. At the main mall entrances, they have a 1.5'x2' sign in 1/4" lettering listing the mall rules and bylaws. There is no such sign on the anchor stores, nor is it as readily identifiable as a gun with an international "NO" circle around it, as some states require. I would park at an anchor and walk in that way, if I cared to. YMMV, but I don't visit the mall anymore anyway - too many issues with some of the fools I used to work with there.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links