maine legislative update <---

maine legislative update <---

This is a discussion on maine legislative update <--- within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Just got back from the work session on 5 pending firearms bills. Here is the score boys. LD146 : remove CCW laws (no permit required) ...

Thread: maine legislative update <---

Exclamation maine legislative update <---

Just got back from the work session on 5 pending firearms bills. Here is the score boys.

LD146 : remove CCW laws (no permit required)
    Killed, unamiously.

LD148 : CCW recirpcity.
    Tabled, pending reports from the AG's office.
    ME curently honors no other permits than ME. The Atty Gen is slow-to-comatose on formally approving reciprocity. The committe was actually very sensitive to the prolonged brush off from the AG, so there is still hope. Until then, all you tourists get your non-res ME CCWs !

LD1111 : trigger locks
    Killed, unaimously.
    Strimling should be ashamed. Unenforceable, no provisions to store guns in a safe, no allowance for a gun in the home. If it's not on your hip, it needs to have a trigger lock. This legislation was written by 6th grader bradyphiles.... Kids, open your eyes!

LD778 : enhance qualifications for CCW permit
    Killed, unaimously.
    Concerns over only a 2 hour course not meeting the "safety" rules, forcing everyone to take this course, disallowing the DD214 / prior service exemption, etc.

LD1000: restrictions of firearms on universities.
    Tabled, pending university input.
    SCARY bill that allows each location of the university to set their own rules CARTE BLANCHE for firearm policies. Currently, students in some campuses can store their arms in the public safety building. This bill passing would be a horrible case of preemption, giving total authority to the university system.
    personally I believe the firearms can be regulated through a contractual agreement- sign your enrollment and have that require no guns, etc. Giving the university power to ban, etc has some reprocussions. Like if you happen to drive through a campus in one of the several university towns- You just violated the campus LAW by driving down the road.
    And the politicians are complaining about low enrollment in the maine university system. Enroll quick and you can carry :-)
    Supporting senator said we need to give them the universities the power that they thought they had all along. My skin was crawling when I heard that.... Amnesty for universities anyone ?!

LD1778: firearms for felons
    passed ammended.
    Will requires felon's blackpowder permit to be renewed every 4 years, currently a lifelong permit.
    Also removes the restriction for felons to get a permit for a crossbow. Now felons are free to get crossbows without permits.

And sneaking on the scene is LD1178. 1178 lets community colleges decide if they want to have the "500 foot school zone" rule for no guns. Interesting to note, the 500foot zone is supposed to be gun free, but you can have guns IN the community college....

We need to keep an eye on 148, 1000, and 1178. Good results on 778. Keep up the fight but NEVER STOP!
    Last edited by Shizzlemah; April 11th, 2007 at 08:22 PM. Reason: added LD1778

Senior Member Array Timmy Jimmy's Avatar
    Why was LD 146 killed unanimously? Wouldn't at least the peson that brought up the bill be for it?
    Timmy Jimmy

If it is not in the US Constitution then the Federal Government should not be doing it.

"Carrying a gun is a social responsibility."

The introducing legislator for 146 was not on the commitee.

146 was a big bowl of chop suey- removed the CCW, increased the penalties for violent crimes, and all sorts of stuff.

The committe actually said 'jails are full and we aren't looking at any bills that increase pelaties and the burden on the penal system'

great news! well..everything except LD1000 being tabled and not being killed! ...guess I can still move back to ME after all!

Reciprocity is not dead. The AG got caught with his hand in the cookie jar, and the committee ALL thought that was BS, that was a good shot in the arm for reciprocity. Steve Rowe is going to be an obstacle. Hanley is clearly on our side. Gerzofsky said "why not continue to sell permits to the out of staters to help the general fund". I waited after the session to tell him that I'd pay a lot more for a permit that was valid in more places ($150 for FL is a bargain)

One Rep (Greely, I think) went online and checked liscensing rules in other states, and he rattled off a list of 15 (really!) states that had a comparable "good moral charachter" clause. None verbatim, obviously, but "moral charachter" "good standing" "suitable recipient". NRA also presented a solid documentation package, and the clerk also reasearched & presented liscensing in other states.

One thought I am having - if LD148 does get killed, I'd like to have a similar bill introducted saying Maine honors all permits from their original states. That legislation has passed in 9 states so far.

Lew
    Good job! Need any help up there? Going to be in state more often come July... no more trucking, going to college again...
    There are 2 types of people, victims and the prepared. I choose to be prepared....

"Bless thee, O Lord, This handgrenade, that it may blow thine enemies to bits. Amen" ~Monty Python's Holy Grail

My Blazer Website

My new, Unofficial Cam and Company Fan site.

Lew,
    if you are a college student check out this thread on LD1000. LD1000 could have some reprocussions. We are expecting to have another legistaltive committee session on LD1000 in late Aug / early Sep.

Thanks for being interested and feel free to PM me.

One, Two, Five three sir, three THREE! (lol)

One, Two, Five three sir, three THREE! (lol)
    Python or black adder? Thinking it's got to do with the "holy hand grenade"

Yes I know , off topic , but curious

Lew
    Count on me being there in August....

I have been watching it closely.
    There are 2 types of people, victims and the prepared. I choose to be prepared....

"Bless thee, O Lord, This handgrenade, that it may blow thine enemies to bits. Amen" ~Monty Python's Holy Grail

My Blazer Website

My new, Unofficial Cam and Company Fan site.

Sponsored Links