How many always carry an extra mag? - Page 4

How many always carry an extra mag?

This is a discussion on How many always carry an extra mag? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I voted other ensemble. I carry an extra mag, a couple knives, & a micro-tool on my keychain. The light & OC's in the car. ...

View Poll Results: What extra stuff do you usually carry with your gun?

Voters
273. You may not vote on this poll
  • Just what fits in the gun

58 21.25%
  • 1 extra mag or speedloader/strip

87 31.87%
  • 2 mags or speedloader/strip

40 14.65%
  • OC

4 1.47%
  • Flashlight

6 2.20%
  • Mag and OC

2 0.73%
  • Mag and light

42 15.38%
  • Mag(s), light, and OC

23 8.42%
  • Other ensemble

11 4.03%
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: How many always carry an extra mag?

Senior Member Array cockedlocked01's Avatar
    I voted other ensemble. I carry an extra mag, a couple knives, & a micro-tool on my keychain. The light & OC's in the car.

When I carry my 442, it's with 2 speed strips in the back pocket for 15 rounds total.
    "Use human means as though divine ones didn't exist, and divine means as though there were no human ones." Baltasar Gracian
    Integrated Close Combat
    NRA Member
    Glock 19 & 26, Kahr CM9 & P45, Para P12, Kel-Tec P-32, S&W 442, & Dan Wesson 14-2.

I usually carry a cell phone in a shirt/jacket pocket.
    "Beware of the man who only owns one gun. He probably knows how to use it."

Minimum of one spare mag or speedstrip, usually two. Benchmade 750SBT framelock without fail, sometimes also carry an 806S-D2 AFCK. At times I'll carry a Surefire 6P but I always have a mini-maglight in the glovebox and 4D-cell maglight under the seat. Cell phone always goes along too.
    Jack

2 mags normally. At the very least 1 mag for reliability issues.
    ...He suggested that "every American citizen" should own a rifle and train with it on firing ranges "at every courthouse." -Chesty Puller

Taurus PT 145 w/ spare mag
    Surfire G2
    Gerber multi-tool
    Gerber pocker folder
    electric leash (cell)
    Some people are alive simply because it's illegal to kill them.

If guns cause crime, then pens cause illiteracy

Rock Island Armory 1911 compact tactical, Ruger GP 100, Glock 27

Usually P229/.40S&W, with one spare mag, and Kershaw folder....occassionally, MK9 as BUG +1 mag for it

Quote Originally Posted by Tom G View Post
    I thought about carrying two mags but I should get the job done with fifteen rounds. I have a flash light in the truck so why carry one.
    There are two things wrong with these statements.

FIRST: 15 rounds is MORE than enough! Chances are 1-3 rounds is all you're gonna get off anyway. But...the chances of a malfunction outweigh the possibility of firing all 15 rounds.

SECOND: The flashlight in the truck is an AWESOME idea...IF you are ALWAYS in the truck!

The fact of the matter is...if you have taken on the HUGE responsibility of carrying A LOADED LETHAL WEAPON ON YOUR PERSON than the burden of carrying a spare mag and a flashlight shouldn't be THAT big of an issue!

Quote Originally Posted by Mainspring View Post
    Lights - I also carry a flashlight (Streamlight Scorpions are my favorite…affordable [I have several conveniently placed], plenty bright enough, and the rubber grip surface doesn’t chip my teeth when I’m holding the thing in my mouth while fishing my mail out of my mail box in the evening. You never know when you’ll need a good light. Recently my mother-in-law was at the mall with my young nephew when someone took out a power pole in the area, thereby making the mall completely black. As it happened, she was walking near a security guard who had a light…otherwise she would have been left standing in the dark, since most of the emergency lighting also failed. Also, even a compact light without a striking bezel can be used with good effect as a defensive tool…on the street and in court.
    Kudos to you, my man! This is the best comment I've seen on this issue! It's no big secret that I am a "Flashaholic" I guess it's because I've been in a situation similar to this. A lot of guys have mentioned the flashlight "in the vehicle" or if it's "close to evening" or whatever. Guys...you will use a flashlight more than you could ever fathom! There's not a day goes by that I don't use mine. And I'm not talking about about just on duty. I use mine in my closet, looking for stuff in the garage, looking for that damned remote under the couch - the possibilities are ENDLESS!

The bottom line is - get yourself a flashlight! My favorite of ALL the SureFires is without a doubt the E2e "Executive Elite" model. It is small enough to carry on your person ALL DAY/EVERYDAY, has a neat little pocket clip and it's as bright as the 6P/G2 series, respectively. Get yourself a SureFire...you won't be dissapointed!

My STANDARD carry

Sidearm, at least 1 spare mag/speedloader (where am I going ), Flashlight, 2 knives (one Emerson WAVE, one CRKT K.I.S.S. as a money clip), CEL PHONE!!!, MIND IN CONDITION YELLOW & THE INTENT TO SURVIVE
    Condition "yellow" is a heightened state of awareness & response.
    It is not paranoia...
    "IT IS YOUR ONLY ROUTE TO SURVIVAL"

An armed & knowledgeble Citizen has significantly increased their chances of continued Freedom & Safety... SO ALSO IMPROVED IS THE FUTURE OF THEIR NEIGHBORS

My Glock 19 with 15+1, plus one extra 15-round mag, knife, and LED flashlight. If I'm carrying in my shoulder rig, then I have 2 extra mags.

I think everyone should carry extra ammo because you never know what could happen. What if you are involved in a shooting incident similar to the Utah mall shootout? It seems public shooting incidents like that are more and more common.

I forgot...SPARE KEYS to whatever vehicle I'm driving. I always, always, ALWAYS have spare keys in my pocket.
    The keys to winning a gunfight are first to bring a gun and secondly to take your time, quickly.

Always remember that if your opponent is within range, so are you.

POWER TO THE MEPEOPLE!!!

PM
    Quote Originally Posted by OfClanMcnab View Post
    I think everyone should carry extra ammo because you never know what could happen. What if you are involved in a shooting incident similar to the Utah mall shootout? It seems public shooting incidents like that are more and more common.
    I will bet the Ogdan PD officer does not leave home any more without at least one spare mag. 20 to 30 rounds should be enough (most days).

Ammo is just what's in the gun, generally an XD40sc. I carry a Gerber Multi-tool. Not for defense, but for general self-reliance. Getting a blade out takes about 3 minutes... I also have a tiny little LED light on my keychain, not a tac light but enough to see where I'm walking if the mall goes dark.

I don't really need a gun (I hope...) where I live, and the chance that I need more than a magazine's worth, or that a mag will fail at the wrong time aren't worth the extra bulk. I'm more likely to carry a spare BUG than a spare mag (especially since the P3AT isn't much bigger than an XD mag...)

Distinguished Member Array Doc Holliday's Avatar
    Typical Carry
    1. Sig P228 13+1
    2. 1 P226 15 round magazine
    3. SureFire 6P

Now that the bugs (Hahaha) have been cleared out of my Kel-Tec, I also carry a P3AT as a BUG or for when situations call for deeper concealment. I don't have a spare mag YET.

I also carry a S & W M65 every once in a while with 2 Bianchi speedstrips.

No matter what, I never leave the house without my Surefire. (The times when I can't legally carry-i.e. work.)
    Why Ike, whatever do you mean? Maybe poker's just not your game Ike. I know! Let's have a spelling contest!

I voted extra mag and light. But I carry a knife also. I try to stay as light weight as possible though.

Jim
    Attached Images

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links