Defensive Carry banner

Mayors against Illegal Guns

979 views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  jeep45238 
#1 · (Edited)
Mayor Mallory,

My name is Michael Xxxxxxxxx, I live in Delhi Township, go to school at the University of Cincinnati, and worked during my breaks from school at the condos in the old McAlpin's store as a painter. I take interest in State, Federal, and Local Legislation and issues as much as I can between my courses. I am also a current Ohio Concealed Handgun License (CHL) holder. By becoming a CHL holder, I have passed a criminal background check, have no drug offenses, no history of violence, and no mental instabilities.

I have a concern about the alliance program “Mayors against Illegal Guns”. I have heard that Mayor Bloomberg intends to visit Cincinnati, with the intent on getting our city tied into this alliance. On the website for this alliance, more laws preventing criminals, more laws about the punishments for criminals using guns, and registration are strongly pushed. Laws restricting guns to keep them out of the hands of criminals, especially felons already exist, and I don’t believe a blanket over all misdemeanor offenses is the proper way to handle this issue.

My biggest concern is the desire to begin registration of firearms to trace illegal weapons, which has already proven to be ineffective in areas where it has already been implemented. If one stops to think about this logically, why would somebody (who is already facing a hefty number of charges for the use of a gun in a crime) go to a gun shop, pass a FBI background check, pay hundreds of dollars for a gun (be it a handgun or a long gun), only to use it in a crime? They wouldn't; it is much cheaper to simply break into a house, ransack it, hope to find one, and bug out before somebody reports the incident. There is also the issue of maintaining the database, as well as continually entering new data, and keeping this information out of the eyes of the public (which has been an issue with lists of Ohio CHL holders names and zip codes being published due to journalist’s right to view the lists, ironically stating to the criminal element where they are essentially guaranteed to find guns to steal to commit their crimes)

In fact, Professor John Lott has stated that "There is registration in Hawaii, Chicago, and Washington D.C. Yet there has not been even a single case where the laws have been instrumental in identifying someone who has committed a crime. Criminals rarely leave their guns at the scene of the crime. Would-be criminals also virtually never get licenses or register their weapons" ("Gun Licensing Leads to Increased Crime, Lost Lives", LA Times, August 23rd 2000).

My concern also stems from multiple reports of registered, legally owned firearms confiscated from their owners for no reason. Many cases of this were reported after hurricane Katrina, and the police chief stated that there was no solid reason for doing so later as the mayor (and I believe the chief as well) was taken to court over the issue. Ironically, with a strong highlight to the riots in Los Angeles, and the recent natural disasters in Louisiana, firearms were used to protect the lives and property of the law abiding citizens after the law became ineffective at preventing mass criminal activity, preventing the loss of innocent human life and in the protection of the property that they had worked their whole lives to own.

The thought of being able to match a gun to a fired bullet is simply not true. Your average citizen has been (in the words of a Delhi Township Police detective) CSI’d. The thought that what they see on the CSI shows is real, fingerprints are easily picked up from every surface, and crimes are solved very quickly using little evidence. In fact, there has not been a single documented case that I am aware of where a crime was solved due to matching the marks left on a fired bullet to a database of bullets fired from new guns. Every bullet that gets shot wears the rifling in the barrel more, constantly changing the pattern. A few minutes with a round file completely changes the pattern from the last round fired, and the barrel is also one of the easiest parts to take out of a semi-auto weapon and take with a person. The cost issue also comes to mind again, as I believe that we can spend the money that the tax payers give to our government for their operations could be spend in much better ways, such as education, driving down the cost of college tuition, and select social projects.

Although the intentions are good, there are simply too many gun laws on the books already, numbering over 20,000 at local, state, and federal levels. Laws that restrict ownership of guns do not protect lives. The willingness of the population to abide by those laws protects lives. Criminals, by the very execution of their trade, break the law. I can however, provide multiple cases across multiple states where a CHL holder has prevented injury or death of a person, which stems from legislation lifting restrictions.

Imposing more restrictions, attempting registration, etc., will only affect the law abiding citizens, not their supposed target, criminals. I personally am sick and tired of our elected officials forgetting that very important fact. As the saying goes, it's not about crime control, it's about control.

Michael Xxxxxxxxx
Delhi Township resident, Downtown Cincinnati worker/consumer, law abiding citizen
513-xxx-xxxx

See less See more
#2 ·
find me a SINGLE law restricting ownership/use of a firearm that has directly prevented an injury or death.

You won't find one. Why? Criminals, by the very execution of their trade, break the law. Imposing more restrictions, attempting registration, etc., will only effect the law abiding citizens. I personally am sick and tired of our elected officials forgetting that very important fact.

Michael Xxxxxxxxx
Delhi Township resident, Downtown Cincinnati worker/consumer
513-xxx-xxxx

:hand10:

Well that's about it in a nutshell.

#3 ·
I had a difficult time reading your letter due to the run-on sentences, sentence fragments, and improper grammar. My first recommendation would be to run it through a grammar checking program. Most word processors have one. You will sound more coherent and less like some uneducated, knuckle dragging hick that most anti-gun people think we already are.

Mayor Mallory,

My name is Michael Xxxxxxxxx, I live in Delhi Township, go to school at the University of Cincinnati, and worked during my breaks from school at the condos in the old McAlpin's store as a painter. I take interest in State, Federal, and Local Legislation and issues as much as I can between my courses. I am also a current Ohio Concealed Handgun License holder.

I have a concern about this program what program? You have yet to tell the mayor why you are writing your letter. On the federal level, enacting MORE laws to keep guns out of the hands of criminals and punishing them (that's already law). this is a run-on sentence. It makes no sense by itself

I have a major issue with the want to begin registration of firearms to trace illegal weapons."I must take issue with the desire to register firearms for the purpose of tracing illegal weapons, as it has already proven to be ineffective and costly in areas that have tried it" If you stop to think about this logically, why would somebody (who is already facing a hefty number of charges for the use of a gun in a crime) go to a gun shop, pass a FBI background check, pay hundreds of dollars for a gun (be it a handgun or a long gun), only to use it in a crime?not bad They wouldn't,; it is much cheaper to simply break into a house, ransack it, hope to find one, and bug out before somebody reports the incident.punctuation.

In fact Professor John Lott has stated that "There is registration in Hawaii, Chicago, and Washington D.C. Yet there has not been even a single case where the laws have been instrumental in identifying someone who has committed a crime. Criminals rarely leave their guns at the scene of the crime. Would-be criminals also virtually never get licenses or register their weapons" ("Gun Licensing Leads to Increased Crime, Lost Lives", LA Times, August 23rd 2000).

The whole deal about matching up bullets fired is a crock as well.reword this to be more eloquent. "bullets fired" doesn't make much sense. "The idea of requiring every new gun that is purchased to provide a matched bullet or fired case for a large database is a flawed idea." Every bullet that gets shot wears the rifling in the barrel more, constantly changing the pattern. A few minutes with a round file completely changes the pattern from the last round fired, and the barrel is also one of the easiest parts to take out of a semi-auto weapon and take with you.

Although the intentions are good, there are simply too many gun laws on the books already, numbering over 2,00020,000 including federal, state, and local laws. In fact, I personally challenge you, or anybody else for that matter, to find me a SINGLE law restricting ownership/use of a firearm that has directly prevented an injury or death.BAD, BAD, BAD! Never give such a challenge. All they have to do is find ONE case in the entire country, and they then feel they can invalidate everything you say, and they will be able to find one case

You won't find one. Why?it is possible. Don't make such blanket statements. Criminals, by the very execution of their trade, break the law. Imposing more restrictions, attempting registration, etc., will only effect the law abiding citizens. I personally am sick and tired of our elected officials forgetting that very important fact.

Michael Xxxxxxxxx
Delhi Township resident, Downtown Cincinnati worker/consumer
513-xxx-xxxx

#4 · (Edited)
Thanks for hacking it up, it's appreciated. I typed it out in my email, and thought it would be better if I ask some fellow enthusiasts their opinion of it prior to clicking the send button. Edited it in the original post to have my revisions and your suggestions.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.