Anyone work at a VA hospital?

Anyone work at a VA hospital?

This is a discussion on Anyone work at a VA hospital? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm interviewing for a VA hopspital case worker position with the Wounded Warrior program. Is permitted carry legal on VA hospital grounds?...

Question Anyone work at a VA hospital?

I'm interviewing for a VA hopspital case worker position with the Wounded Warrior program. Is permitted carry legal on VA hospital grounds?
    "Beware of the man who only owns one gun. He probably knows how to use it."

nope
    my wife used to work at the V.A. in White River jct., VT...I never did like going to pick her up at work because I had to leave my gun at home.

I figured as much. I looked at the hospital website and they said its federal property, all persons and bags are subject to search. In addition, no weapons, alcohol, or illegal drugs are permitted. Man these federal contractor jobs are a drag.

Thanx

It is often forgotten that VA hospitals are federal property and fall under such regulations. Personally I wouldn't be caught dead in a VA hospital. Okay, I might be caught in one, but if I were, i am sure I would soon be dead!
    "Gun Free Zones" is where only criminals carry guns.

Quote Originally Posted by DMan View Post
    It is often forgotten that VA hospitals are federal property and fall under such regulations. Personally I wouldn't be caught dead in a VA hospital. Okay, I might be caught in one, but if I were, i am sure I would soon be dead!
    No guns. I have been in and out of VA medical facilities for over 25 years. My care has been top notch, and better than most civilian facilities I have "visited."

Regards,
    Jerry

Quote Originally Posted by JerryM View Post
    No guns. I have been in and out of VA medical facilities for over 25 years. My care has been top notch, and better than most civilian facilities I have "visited."

Regards,
    Jerry
    I have worked in two different VA's and in several civilian hospitals. I found that the VA was behind the times, and lacked good care from a professional point of view. Granted beside manner was good, and but the actual service provided was subpar in my standards.
    "Gun Free Zones" is where only criminals carry guns.

In the VA hospital I visit you have to leave them at the VA Police precint, then go on your way; pick it up when you are about to leave, gun stays on a 2 key locker - you keep one key, desk Sgt. keeps the other one. Check with your VA facility to see whats their protocol.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DMan View Post
    Not all of the hospitals are bad. The Boise VA is one of the best medical care facilities I have ever been in, including active military facilities, and the people are helpful and caring. Now the Fresno VA is a disgrace and the people that work there for the most part are rude and arrogant.

Let's not paint them all with the same brush.
    21 years and 21 days, United States Marine Corps & NRA Life Member since 1972

"The trouble is with the increasingly widespread problem of idiots prancing around out there confusing their opinions with actual facts." peckman28

Quote Originally Posted by cagueits View Post
    In the VA hospital I visit you have to leave them at the VA Police precint, then go on your way; pick it up when you are about to leave, gun stays on a 2 key locker - you keep one key, desk Sgt. keeps the other one. Check with your VA facility to see whats their protocol.
    +1 on this.When you go in the police office the first time to discuss this,leave your gun at home till you get it figured out.When i lived 70 miles from my VA,i had this deal worked out with them.

Senior Member Array Timmy Jimmy's Avatar
    Here in Austin everytime I go to the VA Clinic the LEO at the frong door asks each and every person coming in the door if they have any weapons, then he asks if you have any guns or knives.

I have never carried in maybe next time I will and say yes i have a .45 automatic on my hip and see what happens!
    Timmy Jimmy

If it is not in the US Constitution then the Federal Government should not be doing it.

"Carrying a gun is a social responsibility."

At Minneapolis VAMC, there are signs before you enter the parking lots indicating no firearms anywhere on the property, including in vehicles in the lots.

Regarding quality of VA care, I've been treated at both Mayo Clinic in my hometown and at Minneapolis VAMC. VA is anything but behind the times, and in some ways their technology exceeds what I've experienced with Mayo. I understand that some years ago this was not the case, and hear that care varies by location, but I trust folks at my community VA clinic and the Minneapolis center to take care of me!
    "It's a big gun when I carry it, it is also a big gun when I take it out” – Clint Smith

No carry, and the VA in TAMPA is WONDEFUL.

Thanks guys. I appreciate all the comments. I decided to remain where I'm at for the time being (really wasn't looking forward to another series of job interviews.)

Links