Is +P Ammo really worth it?

This is a discussion on Is +P Ammo really worth it? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've been doing some reading on ammo. I'm really wondering if the +P rounds are really worth the recoil in a gun the size of ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is +P Ammo really worth it?

VIP Member

I've been doing some reading on ammo. I'm really wondering if the +P rounds are really worth the recoil in a gun the size of a 642. I'm wondering if something like Federal 110 grain low recoil hydroshocks would be sufficient, or another hydroshock. Those +P really kick like a mule in a 642.

Administrator
    I say no, its not worth it if your recoil sensitive.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Distinguished Member Array BIG E's Avatar
    My EDC is a 642. I have it loaded with +P's and do not have a problem with it. Carry what is right for you.

+P rounds are no good if you can't keep them on target.
    Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft!

-- Theodore Roosevelt --

Exclamation Plus Pressure

A lot of extra wear and tear on your weapon.Increased recoil,causing extra time to get back on target. I would not be against firing a few rounds now and then or carrying such loads,but I shy away from +P loads,because of the negatives.

IMO, the point of a faster JHP bullet is to increase the likelihood of expansion. Wear and tear on a gun fired relatively infrequently shouldn't be much of a concern, particularly if it's well-made, though impact of recoil on ability to make consistent and accurate follow-on shots is a really big deal.

Though, with a snubbie revolver, you've got a real decision to make. Had a S&W 442 for years, but couldn't easily manage the recoil with +P's, as follow-up shots would start spraying. Kept it with milder loads, and it was more manageable. I've since opted for other alternatives, each of which I can manage much better than the snubbie (CZ P01 9mm IWB/OWB, KelTec P3AT 380ACP pocket). YMMV, of course.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Its shot placement that counts as long as you can put your shot where it counts even a.22 will do the job. Plus P are harder to control and increase recoil. You will practice more with ammo thats easier to shoot, and practice will let you get shots on target.

Distinguished Member Array SonofASniper's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jb32765 View Post
    Its shot placement that counts as long as you can put your shot where it counts even a.22 will do the job. Plus P are harder to control and increase recoil. You will practice more with ammo thats easier to shoot, and practice will let you get shots on target.
    That is partially true, but the reason for using larger more powerful rounds is that you want to knock the bad guy flat on his behind as fast as possible before he can attack you. A BG who is slowly dying from a well placed shot can still move at full steam and potentiall kill you before they expire.

If the +p's are not working out for you in that gun, robere, then you should find an ammo that does work for you. One other thing to remember in your decision, is that in the heat of the moment that little bit of uncomfortable recoil will not be noticeable. Think of it like breaking your hand in a fist fight when you were a kid. You didn't notice it until the fight was over.

You can always train with lower velocity ammo. You will build up mental and muscle memory, which will ultimately be the part that saves your life.
    I will support gun control when you can guarantee all guns are removed from this planet. That includes military and law enforcement. When you can accomplish that, then I will be the last person to lay down my gun. Then I will carry the weapon that replaces the gun.

Learn to shoot something that has more recoil and you won't notice the recoil in a snubbie.

I used to shoot .357 Mag out of my S&W 640. Now I shoot 125 Grain 38 SPL +P out of my 442 and it's a piece of cake.

Biker

Part of the trade off with a snub is the light weight and concealability vs. the recoil. If you find the recoil more than you can handle than there are a few things that might help.

1. New grips. I put on a pair of upgraded grips on mine and it made a big difference for me. The gun is much easier, for me, to control now.

2. Ammo change. This can help lower percieved recoil but the caveat is that you may well have poorer performing ammo in a self defense situation. However if you can't shoot it well that's a moot point and anything that goes bang is an improvement over pointing a finger at a bad guy!

3. Training. Find a qualified trainer on snubs. He just might be able to give you some help that could make all the difference for you!

I practice with mostly lighter weight stuff and finish my sessions with +P, personally. I also found the more I shot the better things got. But the aftermarket grips made a big difference for me.
    If you stand up and be counted, from time to time you may get yourself knocked down. But remember this: A man flattened by an opponent can get up again. A man flattened by conformity stays down for good. ~ Thomas J. Watson, Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by SonofASniper View Post
    That is partially true, but the reason for using larger more powerful rounds is that you want to knock the bad guy flat on his behind as fast as possible before he can attack you. A BG who is slowly dying from a well placed shot can still move at full steam and potentiall kill you before they expire.
    An important thing to remember when people talk about "stopping power" is the standard that was used by Sannow and his co-author, whose name escapes me at the moment, for a "one shot stop" is a solid torso hit and the subject dropped within ten feet or hostile action ceased within ( I think ) ten seconds. If you can put four of your low recoil loads into your target area in the time it takes to put two +P's on target, I would go with the lower recoil loads. Unless we are talking about RN or target wadcutters I would trade the statistical advantage of the +P for the confidence in my ability to put my rounds where I need them as quickly as possible.

Senior Moderator
    I shott 38 +P's out of my Taurus 605 because full power .357 were to hard for follow up shots. The +P's are much easier especially compared to the .357's
    A real man loves his wife, and places his family as the most important thing in life. Nothing has brought me more peace and content in life than simply being a good husband and father.

VIP Member
    Thanks for the comments. I can shoot my 642 just fine with the +p's. It kicks like a mule, but its not really much of a problem. Anytime my buddies and I shoot, they shy away from shooting it even with practice rounds, but I enjoy shooting it. My concern was mostly with the recoil versus other hydroshocks with lower recoil. If +p's have more kick, its going to have more recoil than another load . It is going to be a slight bit longer for recovery. I was reading on a sites that said the +p was just a gimmic ( I dont believe that ). Another site said that with the recoil on a small gun, it wasnt worth the recovery. It said different ammo with lower recoil was going to do the job better because of follow up..
    Lets say I can shoot +p just fine, but I can recover quicker with a different hydroshock. Which is better? I do believe either is going to stop someone.

Senior Moderator
    I would go with faster recovery.

I believe in putting as many rounds on target as fast as possible, until the threat stops being a threat
    A real man loves his wife, and places his family as the most important thing in life. Nothing has brought me more peace and content in life than simply being a good husband and father.

I like the +P's for my 642. It is a lot of comfort that I have the maximun load I can carry with my gun. Steve48

Somewhere I remember reading the independent test data on the 110 gr .38 Hydroshocks. They didn't do very well. One reason why I moved to the Speer +P loads.
    If you stand up and be counted, from time to time you may get yourself knocked down. But remember this: A man flattened by an opponent can get up again. A man flattened by conformity stays down for good. ~ Thomas J. Watson, Jr.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links