Is concealed carry becoming trendy?

This is a discussion on Is concealed carry becoming trendy? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was in Academy Sporting Goods the other day picking up some ammo. As I am waiting at the counter for help the salesman is ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is concealed carry becoming trendy?

Distinguished Member Array fotomaker57's Avatar

Is concealed carry becoming trendy?

I was in Academy Sporting Goods the other day picking up some ammo. As I am waiting at the counter for help the salesman is talking with a gentleman about a couple of pistols. Now this guy that is looking at pistols starts asking about buying one even though he lives out of state. The salesman explains the process of transferring to a dealer in the mans home state. So the guy starts going on about how he has his concealed carry permit from his home state and thought that should be sufficient to allow him to buy any were he sees fit. The salesman gets him straightened out and he leaves.
    Now two young men come walking up and this same salesman asks if they needed help. One of them reaches in his wallet and pulls out his ID and announces I bet I have something you have never seen. He than proceeds to throw his ID on the counter and announces to all that are there that he is probably the only person to earn a concealed carry permit and doesn't even own a gun.
    I know many of you feel as I do that the fewer people that know I carry the better. Are we starting to see people getting their permit just to have bragging rights? If so this concerns me. I know we all have the right to own and carry firearms if we are not criminals. However maybe we need to add a little more to our training programs about staying low key. I remember a saying from my early days in martial arts that said, a wise falcon always hides his talons. Let me know your feelings on this.
    Mike
    The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.
    Thomas Jefferson

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by mike_1 View Post
    Now two young men come walking up and this same salesman asks if they needed help. One of them reaches in his wallet and pulls out his ID and announces I bet I have something you have never seen. He than proceeds to throw his ID on the counter and announces to all that are there that he is probably the only person to earn a concealed carry permit and doesn't even own a gun.
    IMHO, those type do not "serve the community" well, so to speak.

........a wise falcon always hides his talons. Let me know your feelings on this.
    Agreed, 100%!

I know many of you feel as I do that the fewer people that know I carry the better. Are we starting to see people getting their permit just to have bragging rights?
    I doubt it's about that, it is more likely that as the pool of permit holder increases and as that pool represents more and more of society then quite simply that flawed and dysfunctional types are now getting permits.
    Some people have to brag about everything they do, they can't drive a plain truck or live in a regular house. Those sort of guys slap their permits on counters and think that it makes them 'awesome'.

There'll be a few bad apples, a few permit holders will go 'postal', but on the whole we are good people.

... a wise falcon always hides his talons.
    That sums it up, right there. It's nobody's business. Blown cover impacts my ability to defend myself, and surprise is an element I choose to maintain on my side of the fight. Having it be common knowledge harms my ability to defend against attack, and that's not right. Doing that by my own action is just plain dumb. Thus, I choose a different road.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I hope it's not trendy but the more of us the better. I also live in a state that just started to allow concealed carry in January. I feel like I'm already late getting to the party so to speak. The only time I've disclosed my CHP status has been at Cabelas and my shooting range when they were trying to push their CCW/CHP classes at me. Both times neither party had actually seen a real CHP so I showed them. Both times it got me better service and a discount on ammo. Hope that doesn't make me trendy.
    Fireman

Carrying either a Glock 23 or 30 each w/ TruGlo TFO in Comp Tac C-TAC holsters since obtaining Nebraska CHP in Feb. 2007

<---------------------The reason I carry.

Assistant Administrator
    It does seem to show bragging rights for a few here and there ........ but overall I think we all use ''discretionary'' release of our CCW status.

Most would be ''need to know'' which probably means family, close friends perhaps and at the gun club etc.

The loudmouths are the folks that could easily harm our cause and I have reservations over their competance too sometimes. More macho factor than sincere responsibility!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry View Post
    The loudmouths are the folks that could easily harm our cause and I have reservations over their competance too sometimes. More macho factor than sincere responsibility!
    I would refine the phrase to say the braggarts are the ones doing the harming. Probably what you meant, but I merely pointed that out to exclude the reasonable open carry people who open carry to defend themselves and not to show off their "manhood".
    eschew obfuscation

The only thing that stops bad guys with guns is good guys with guns. SgtD

While I agree that the person described above is a FOOL, I’m not sure how it hurts the cause of concealed carry. Now, if he does something stupid or illegal with a gun, that is different. However, him being an idiot that likes to brag about having his CCW without even having a gun does not out me, nor does it bring any additional attention to me. Worst case it makes him look like an idiot, best case it is one more vote that is pro CCW regardless of whether or not it is ever used.

Distinguished Member Array fotomaker57's Avatar
    Blackjack
    I agree with you that he is a fool and also that one fool probably can't cause too much harm. What I am wondering is if this was an isolated incident or have others around the country seen this type of behavior also. If they have, than that gives me reason to worry.
    Mike
    The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.
    Thomas Jefferson

An idiot with a CCW can't do us too much harm. An idiot with a firearm on the other hand?????

Assistant Administrator
    I would refine the phrase to say the braggarts are the ones doing the harming. Probably what you meant, but I merely pointed that out to exclude the reasonable open carry people who open carry to defend themselves and not to show off their "manhood".
    Agreed John

Certainly tho I might worry about the ''new CCW'' looking for a gun and telling the whole world about his ''macho status'' Next might be if taken to imaginative extreme - the flourish of a new piece complete with twirl - and zero thought for safety too! Not good!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Just tell who you need to tell, but nobody else. They have no need to know what you do. I'm just guessing but most of these Macho's will do two things, run at first sight of trouble even if it means not protecting their loved ones, or just open fire without thinking of the consequences.

Its a serious matter, I have a feeling these people don't think it is.

CCW's Aren't Getting Trendy...

Quote Originally Posted by 0.02 View Post
    There'll be a few bad apples, a few permit holders will go 'postal', but on the whole we are good people.
    Crime is getting trendy...and there are bad apples in every basket...even the CCW basket...

They all get weeded out eventually! I've seen some wacko's at just about every gun shop around...the good gun shops usually send them packing after the 'feathers are shown'.

You and I aren't going to change the world, but we have to learn to be examples and survive in it...

Stay quietly armed...stay quietly safe!

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I think that someone who does things like showing off their CCW is one who may obtained their permit as a novelty. They will show it off in order to get a little attention. Then the shock value will wear off.

Unfortunately the "sheep" will lump this character w/ the rest of us.

The next thing this guy will probley do is start flashing his gun around and get his permit pulled. If the bad guy knows that he is armed it gives the bad guy an advantage. I wonder who he was trying to impress.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links