Loss of CCL

Loss of CCL

This is a discussion on Loss of CCL within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Ok, that looks bad, the wife and I recently moved to a new state which invalidates our old CCL's. Now we are in the 180 ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Loss of CCL

Loss of CCL

Ok, that looks bad, the wife and I recently moved to a new state which invalidates our old CCL's. Now we are in the 180 day waiting period before we are eligable to get a Nebraska CCL. So here is my problem. I work 24hr shifts and leave wifey home alone. At home I dont worry about her but the transit from work and back etc I do. I dont know what the answer is, after carrying for the last 4 years I feel strange without it. It really bothers me when I drive cross the state on hunting trips or just out to visit family. Whats the solution for those of you who have been in this situation.

Opps editted, sorry.

Human
    Stay Low Stay Safe
    Last edited by Human; April 15th, 2007 at 09:18 PM.
    Some people are like Slinkys, not really good for anything but put a BIG smile on your face when you knock em down a flight of stairs.

Open carry.

Administrator

Post Just A Friendly Reminder

Please Be Reminded Of CombatCarry Rule #8 that all forum members have agreed to abide by when they registered here.
    We are a forum dedicated to legal carry of firearms

You may not ask members if they would continue to carry illegally.

Members may not state that they would continue to carry even if it were illegal to do so.

Discussion of illegal activities (for the purpose of promoting these activities) are not allowed whether they pertain to on or off topic subjects.
    Anyone in this category will be banned immediately.
    Banned posters may, under certain circumstances have their posts removed. If you quote or reference these posts in your own, they may also be removed.

VIP Member
    Sounds like you got a long wait................ Maybe OC is your only option or open carry if its legal there..

Lead Moderator
    Obey the law, take extra caution in your travels.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Hang In There...

The time will pass quickly! You'll still have the weapons at home...but double check all state laws and be sure of what you CAN do...

I carried for years 24/7...then tried a job back in the schools, of which I'm without a weapon. It will be this way for another year or two...you learn to live with it...I don't like it...but that's the law. I can't even have a weapon in my vehicle when on school grounds.

Stay alert...

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    I wonder, retsupt, if the law they're trying to pass (thank you sincerely, Marion Hammer!) might rectify that problem you have of not even being allowed to have a gun in your car. If they make it illegal for employers to prohibit employees from having a gun locked in their car on company grounds, will that extend to school workers?

And I wonder, does the school do searches of vehicles in the parking lot, to find out if anyone is keeping a gun in the car in contravention of the rules? Are they really interested in wasting money and resources in that way?

Senior Member Array tanksoldier's Avatar
    1. Check to see if the 180 day "residency" wait applies to those who have a CHL from another state. In some states they waive it of you had a CHL from your old state.

2. Check to see if there is a grace period where you can carry on your old CHL after moving to the new state. Many states allow this as well.
    "I am a Soldier. I fight where I am told, and I win where I fight." GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

The state you are moving to may honor the permit from the state you are coming from. Have you looked it up on (packing .com} yet? Go to this site and see if your new state reconizes the permit from your old state . I would also take Tanksoldier advice and check it out further.

Hi Human,

Shoot me a PM. I live in Nebraska, and have operated under the laws of this state for the past 10 years when carrying a firearm. I'm also a NE native, (don't hold it against me). In fact I used to carry before we got our CCW, and there is a law on the books which includes justifiable defense for concealed carry. However most of the time open carry is also a viable option. It's a little different here since nearly EVERYBODY used to carry rifles and single action revolvers in their cars and on their persons up until 10 or 15 years ago.
    I can clue you in on your options. But I need to know in which city you are located. Makes a big difference.

Later,

Bryan

Ok, for anyone else interested; The NE Constitution specifically says we have the:

Article I-1
    Statement of rights.

All persons are by nature free and independent, and have certain inherent and inalienable rights; among these are life, liberty, the pursuit of happiness, and the right to keep and bear arms for security or defense of self, family, home, and others, and for lawful common defense, hunting, recreational use, and all other lawful purposes, and such rights shall not be denied or infringed by the state or any subdivision thereof. To secure these rights, and the protection of property, governments are instituted among people, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed.

Additional to this:

The constitutional right to keep and bear arms is subject to reasonable regulation by statute if the statute does not frustrate the guarantee of the constitutional provision. State v. Comeau, 233 Neb. 907, 448 N.W.2d 595 (1989).

However Omaha passed a ridiculous municipal code many moons ago that requires you to be certified to carry a loaded firearm.

And not only this, to "control" the mafia back in the 20's and 30's Omaha passed a law requiring the registration by the OPD of all concealable firearms. This has since turned into a tax, but a tax nonetheless that needs to be heeded when possessing a concealable firearm within the Omaha city limits.

There is also a state statute on the books that expressly forbids the carrying of a concealed firearm:

Section 28-1202:

1) (a) Except as otherwise provided in this section, any person who carries a weapon or weapons concealed on or about his or her person such as a revolver, pistol, bowie knife, dirk or knife with a dirk blade attachment, brass or iron knuckles, or any other deadly weapon commits the offense of carrying a concealed weapon.

However then we have section B:

(b) It is an affirmative defense that the defendant was engaged in any lawful business, calling, or employment at the time he or she was carrying any weapon or weapons and the circumstances in which such person was placed at the time were such as to justify a prudent person in carrying the weapon or weapons for the defense of his or her person, property, or family.

About ten years ago I used this BTW. And it worked then, however the political winds have changed so I would NOT recommend doing so now. Especially since the whole Homeland Security/Patriot Act war machine got started.

Basically open carry is generally fine, and unless you are in Omaha, and a few podunk towns won't even register a second glance. Concealad carry is unlawful, except under special circumstances. And Omaha is a pretty lib place now. Welcome to the new world.

[EDIT] Oh, I forgot to mention, much of this can be found online here: http://uniweb.legislature.ne.gov/legaldocs/search.php (for state laws), and here: http://www.municode.com/Resources/ga...d=10945&sid=27 (for Omaha municipal code).

What's the "solution" to no longer being allowed to carry concealed in your old state, and not yet being allowed to carry concealed in your new state? Either (a) open carry if your new state allows, or (b) illegal carry. There aren't other choices, really. I'd think it's best to await the new licensing, and perhaps to curtail trips for the next 180 days until you're better able to protect yourselves.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Human - as to your legal options, Nebraska may honor the permit from your prior state of residence, as Tom G has already mentioned. If this is not the case, you may want to apply for an out-of-state license that will be honored in Nebraska; some licenses may be processed in less than the half-year wait you have to suffer for the in-state permit.

VIP Member
    I guess my thought would be to see if it's legal to carry in a vehicle and how to do that legally?
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Senior Member Array tanksoldier's Avatar
    You may also want to consider what makes you a "resident". If your driver's license is from your old state, and has the same address as your CHL... it might still be good.

I didn't start paying Colorado taxes until I registered to vote here.
    "I am a Soldier. I fight where I am told, and I win where I fight." GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links